California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Clutch and Flywheel

Old 01-12-2005, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch and Flywheel

Can anyone give me any recommendation as to where I can get my clutch and flywheel replaced? just want to see if anyone has gotten theirs replaced and where?

Thanks Joon
Old 01-12-2005, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same thing i need installed right now too... i think i might most likely end up going to DNR hayward.. as usual... they're all cool there and do a good job...
Old 01-12-2005, 09:47 PM

got my ACT and comptech flywheel done at Menlo
Old 01-12-2005, 11:31 PM

DSR did a great job on my Comptech flywheel + ACT pressure plate.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by JDMwhore,Jan 12 2005, 10:47 PM
JDMWHORE,
How you like them?
Old 01-13-2005, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by JDMwhore,Jan 12 2005, 10:47 PM
whoa. i didnt know dealerships install aftermarket parts for you.. interesting..
Old 01-13-2005, 09:51 AM

I'm looking into having my clutch done too, and I was thinking about going to this place:

Clutch Mart
3295 El Camino Real
Santa Clara
408-554-9210

Member "cyber_x" had his clutch done over there, and he sounded pretty happy with the job these guys did. The price wasn't bad either...around $300 for the labor. Here's the thread he wrote about it: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...79465&hl=clutch
Old 01-13-2005, 10:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 73Zero,Jan 13 2005, 10:51 AM
I'm looking into having my clutch done too, and I was thinking about going to this place:

Clutch Mart
3295 El Camino Real
Santa Clara
408-554-9210

Member "cyber_x" had his clutch done over there, and he sounded pretty happy with the job these guys did. The price wasn't bad either...around $300 for the labor. Here's the thread he wrote about it: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...79465&hl=clutch
hey let me know how it goes with them. i need my carbon clutch w/ carbon coated chromoly flywheel put in as well.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by 73Zero,Jan 13 2005, 06:51 PM

Clutch Mart
3295 El Camino Real
Santa Clara
408-554-9210

Actually, there were some developments after that thread, and I can't really recommend them. It's a long, long story, but here is a summary...

Basically, Clutch Mart on El Camino did my clutch for $800. The clutch worked okay for a bit, but the clutch pedal felt really stiff, and developed a binding feeling about halfway through its travel. I went back to complain about that, and Clutch Mart simply flushed the fluid, did the pushrod adjustment to modify the grabbing point, and then told me it was fine, although nothing had changed. I took my car back several times and they did this each time. They refused to drop the transmission to actually look at the clutch.

Finally, Clutch Mart told me they would drop the transmission and look at the clutch to make sure everything was adequately lubed. I picked up my car the next day under the impression that they had done this. But still, nothing had changed.

Being naive and thinking that they had actually inspected the clutch, I went around for a while looking for other explanations for my funny feeling clutch pedal. I didn't find any, so a few months later, I went back to Clutch Mart to complain some more.

Well, when I went back, I found that the manager who used to work there was gone. The El Camino store was under new management; apparently, the owner of the East Bay Clutch Marts had taken over it. The new manager told me that the previous manager was basically scamming both the company as well as customers. He expressed doubt that the previous manager had actually taken the time to look at my clutch system. Most likely, my car had just sat there, which is why the problem never got fixed.

Now the new manager was pretty cool about things. He took my car in, opened up the clutch system, and found that the old manager had installed an aftermarket clutch! (I had requested all OEM parts.) That's why it was so stiff. The new manager went ahead and replaced it with an OEM setup at no charge to me. It is still in my car now and is working fine after 20k miles or so. It feels just like my original clutch did.

Here's the thing, though. I don't think this shop is very careful about little things. When I got my car back, my center console was scratched all around the edges. I could tell that someone had pried it off with a screwdriver or something similar. I went back to bitch about that, and they just buffed it and put some black stuff on it to make it less visible. They didn't want to replace the part. The scratches are still there, but I just let it go. After the nightmare I had gone through, I don't want them touching my car again.

Also, the new manager told me that the previous manager was quoting unusually low prices. So, I don't know if the $800 rate would still apply.

All in all, the new manager of Clutch Mart El Camino is a real nice, upstanding guy. But he's not the one doing the actual work. His technician does the work, and after the scratches on the center console, I think I'll look elsewhere for my next clutch job.

Ok, that wasn't so brief, but hope that helps.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:28 PM

okie dokie. scratch that place

Quick Reply: Clutch and Flywheel