California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Ciopinno Drive

Old 07-28-2011, 08:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjajwl
I'm going to Arizona to pick up my car. Already have the pre-purchase inspection at Science of Speed lined up as well as the itinerary. I'm super excited. Not so much about the road trip, but the idea that I'll be getting back into another S2000. I just hope it all goes smoothly.
I've done a road trip to Arizona before. There are definitely some parts that are super boring. I made a speed run out of it on the way back to help pass the time, which I did in under 9 hrs, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
I've done a road trip to Arizona before. There are definitely some parts that are super boring. I made a speed run out of it on the way back to help pass the time, which I did in under 9 hrs, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Unfortunately, we are very hard pressed for time on this one. I have to make it home in just under 9 hours to make it to work the following day early in the morning. If my estimation is correct, we'll be leaving AZ at around 5PM with one stop in LA for refuel / 1 hour break. Then it's time to try and make it home before my shift starts the following day. Google Maps estimates 11 hours.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K' timestamp='1311870752' post='20824485

Unfortunately, we are very hard pressed for time on this one. I have to make it home in just under 9 hours to make it to work the following day early in the morning. If my estimation is correct, we'll be leaving AZ at around 5PM with one stop in LA for refuel / 1 hour break. Then it's time to try and make it home before my shift starts the following day. Google Maps estimates 11 hours.
Well to give you an idea of what I had to do in order to make it that quickly.
  • No food breaks. (ate on the road)
  • Restroom breaks that coincided with gas breaks.
  • 110+ mph going from Phoenix to Palm Springs. 100+ from Grapevine to 580.
  • Passing through LA after the morning commute to avoid any traffic delays.

My trip was just over 700 miles, so I average just over 80 mph, which is hard to do. Good luck, hope you have a radar detector, and keep an eye out for the cops. They are out in masses right now.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:40 AM

Yeah, I don't think I'll make it in 9 hours. Maybe it's a better idea to just stay the night somewhere.

Thanks for the advice. .. That is crazy how you had to break 100 mph at some points just to make it back in 9 hours.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by 19wrath85' timestamp='1311843213' post='20823502

flying where? how much?

I'm going to Arizona to pick up my car. Already have the pre-purchase inspection at Science of Speed lined up as well as the itinerary. I'm super excited. Not so much about the road trip, but the idea that I'll be getting back into another S2000. I just hope it all goes smoothly.
Did that in april. I got mine from flagstaff, where is your car located?
Old 07-28-2011, 09:55 AM

Yeah, I don't think I'll make it in 9 hours. Maybe it's a better idea to just stay the night somewhere.

Thanks for the advice. .. That is crazy how you had to break 100 mph at some points just to make it back in 9 hours.
It took me 11 hours, and that's with the occasional gas, food and break stops, and I still drove 100+ in small bursts. The trip is way easier/faster if you live in so cal.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:50 AM

I was kind of hoping to be able to make it to the S2ki Norcal bonfire on August 6th if anything. I'm going to be cutting it very close.

I wonder how often I will have to fill up. I plan on filling up as soon as the gas meter hits 1/4th tank just in case.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:57 AM

I was kind of hoping to be able to make it to the S2ki Norcal bonfire on August 6th if anything. I'm going to be cutting it very close.

I wonder how often I will have to fill up. I plan on filling up as soon as the gas meter hits 1/4th tank just in case.
1/4 tank? Stay out of towns and heavy traffic and you should get 250-275 miles out of 3/4 tank. You might just go straight to the meet if you are rested enough.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:58 AM

Definitely don't speed along the 10 without a radar detector; tons of HP between Phoenix and LA. And fyi, going over 85 in AZ is like getting caught going over 100 in CA.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by stacey
1/4 tank? Stay out of towns and heavy traffic and you should get 250-275 miles out of 3/4 tank. You might just go straight to the meet if you are rested enough.
I was thinking of refilling every half tank to be safe or every quarter tank if I'm feeling bold. I plan on keeping it on the freeway for as long as I can. I need about 5 hours of sleep or else I'd just be a zombie at the meet. Besides, I am going to barely get any sleep the night before picking up the car too.

Originally Posted by herrjr
Definitely don't speed along the 10 without a radar detector; tons of HP between Phoenix and LA. And fyi, going over 85 in AZ is like getting caught going over 100 in CA.
I'll make sure to keep that in mind. I hired a co-driver so I should be fine as far as fatigue goes. I don't plan on opening the throttle until hitting I-5 where I am more familiar. Still, being limited at 85 on I-10(?) in AZ is going to be terribly boring.

Quick Reply: Ciopinno Drive