California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

CHP on The freeway with no lights

Old 03-03-2011, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after some googling, it seems that whether a cop has their parking lights on or not has nothing to do with whether they can write a speeding ticket or not. but, its illegal to park on the side of the freeway unless its an emergency.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe the issue is simply with being parked and using radar/laser. I believe that an officer has to make himself reasonably visible to create a speed check, otherwise they're creating I dangerous situation. I vaguely remember someone winning a civil suit over that...
Old 03-03-2011, 07:03 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by macr88
Something interesting I found while looking for the answer.
http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...cial-districts
Just disgusting. Wish we could all make that much.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:51 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its obvious the CHP, and most pigs for that matter, are being given unlimited power with no accountability for the purpose of turning this country into a police state. They exist only for the purpose of extortion under a false pretense of safety. They play by one set of rules and we have to obide by another, pigs do what they want when they want.

I view cops as crooks and trash, when I get pulled over I never say a word to them. How many tickets has that gotten me LOL, NONE! They talk to you in attempts to play "GOTCHA!" games because they are almost always loaded questions pressing you to admit guilt. Most of the time they do not have solid evidence to write you up, they just trick you into admitting guild.

Stay silent and stay safe!
Old 03-03-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Kyushin
Its obvious the CHP, and most pigs for that matter, are being given unlimited power with no accountability for the purpose of turning this country into a police state. They exist only for the purpose of extortion under a false pretense of safety. They play by one set of rules and we have to obide by another, pigs do what they want when they want.

I view cops as crooks and trash, when I get pulled over I never say a word to them. How many tickets has that gotten me LOL, NONE! They talk to you in attempts to play "GOTCHA!" games because they are almost always loaded questions pressing you to admit guilt. Most of the time they do not have solid evidence to write you up, they just trick you into admitting guild.

Stay silent and stay safe!
You actually believe this stuff you're saying? Or are you just messing around? Though I general feel we're moving in the direction of greater police power and enforcement (TSA/homeland etc) I have to assume just messing around. I don't recall the last time my wife and I were pulled over at random, strip searched, beaten, raped and stolen from by the police. I also haven't had my house invaded without warrant. Searched without cause or had a police officer obscure his badge number while violating my freedoms and liberties as protected by the law.

My long winded view:
Police have to deal with the general public, few like them and in time it wears on them. I don't know many people who want to become cops to be mean to people. Dealing with scum all day and people who will lie to get out of breaking the law has a price; it's going to stop them from being nice. Also consider who gets shot at when they pull someone over? The cop. Look at the stats and you'll see some alarming points.

There are bad apples in the bunch no doubt. Police are under ever increasing pressures to perform. Longer hours and in a climate, right now, where people are hurting. It must effect them.

In the last 4 years I've been pulled over once. I repeat once. For a burnt out headlight, I didn't know about. No ticket, just a friendly heads up. I wave at my local cops. Had them over and into my home when required. They get treated like guests and act like normal people. Putting on the uniform does not make them bad or evil, nor are they 'out to get you'. That all said, I don't think I would make a nice cop either. I'd probably come down hard on punks and general no contributing zeros who break the law.

High Level:
I would go as far as to suggest, if you're experiencing unusually high amounts of police involvement in your life; you are probably doing something wrong.

If we're going to harp on the police, lets at least present both sides here. They serve you. Protect me. And I'm happy to have them. The alternative is what exactly? We raise taxes some more, or ticket people braking the law?
Old 03-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Just disgusting. Wish we could all make that much.

We raise taxes some more
it'll just end up in the wrong place.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

There are bad apples in the bunch no doubt. Police are under ever increasing pressures to perform. Longer hours and in a climate, right now, where people are hurting. It must effect them.
It seems like the bad apples are out weighing the good lately.

It's protect and Serve not be an asshat to people.

I've had my fair share of run ins with the law, some deserved and most not deserved.

I try my best to my part to call in drunk drivers on the way home late nights and the last two times has resulted in me wasting my time. One of them couldn't even keep their car in two lanes at 35mph on 85.

I've been harassed minding my own business on the side of the road mid-day because apparently people race there in the wee hours of the morning.

I've been ticketed by an a-hole in a parking lot for speeding, speeding that was at most 5 miles an hour over the limit due to a change in the posted speed.

We've had very friendly officers at Sweethearts as well as the opposite.

We're paying for a service, that service shouldn't provide someone that's on the edge, the mentality of those officers has to change.
By no means am I saying all cops are bad, I've met some super friendly cops but the attitude of some really need adjusting and in all honesty it's no wonder some of them get shot. It's a thankless job but what job isn't really thankless these days or even more dangerous, it's no reason to ve less respectful of the people you're supposed to be serving.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:13 PM

I agree some changes need to be made.

A friend of a friend who's a cop, more correctly as we're not really friends now that I think about it. He told me, he didn't start this job angry, but ended up getting angry. He didn't start this job a racists, but he is now. He wasn't quick to judge, but he has to be; or he might get shot.

We followed a DUI for an hour and on the third call we were threatened with charges if we kept following the people. We passed two parked cops in that 50-60 miles.
I've chased copper thieves out of our neighborhoods, one cop berated me and the local detective thought it was a great thing but to be careful and get details.
We've had punks dealing drugs and doing burn outs. Police were in our home looking at footage of it and thanked me for burning them a disc.
I had a cop chew me out on private property for parking in a loading zone (mall) while I waited for someone. I calmly moved my car and walked away.

I get it's a mixed bag, just like life. It could be better, but my point was really, it's not a police state. I don't like them parking with their lights off on the side of the road. But frankly, ticketing speeders is the least of our problems as a society. That's all. I'll try not to get on a rant here with this soap box.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtykoala
i record my police encounters with at least audio, video if i have the time to get it out. you might get lucky and get a cop to admit they didnt have their lights on or something.

not mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B_yw1iYKpA
Just curious what dept was this cop?
Old 03-04-2011, 10:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I could have hit one getting off Bollinger onto 680S Thursday night @ 10. The idiot was at the end of the full 270 degree turn sideways with his lights off and the front of his car was taking up the entire shoulder. Should have smashed into him based on principle.

Quick Reply: CHP on The freeway with no lights