California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Cars you've owned.. POST S2000

Old 07-01-2015, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cars you've owned.. POST S2000

The s2k is fun, but I can't help but want more. I'm not necessarily sure what my goals are, but I think I want to hop into something else.. **I know I'll miss the car because it's such a swiss-army knife in performance, but I can't help but wonder what else I should drive, since I'm only 21.

Here's what I do know:

My car is pretty modified. Only thing left would be FI, but I'm a little over the idea of daily driving a boosted go-cart. Haha. Would be nice as a second car though..

I guess I'm looking for something that is equally as sporty just a bit more.. practical?

1. I don't do much mountain driving...
2. I have mixed feelings about shows (not into the stance scene)
3. I love honda reliability/ease
4. I love getting sideways (No FWD)
5. Something bigger always peaks my interest

Here are some of the cars I'm interested in:

(Under 30K if you recommend anything)
MKIV Supra
Evo 9
IS300 or IS-F
R32 or 33
I think BMW and Audi are out for me. Would like to work on the car.

Let me know!
Old 07-01-2015, 05:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would personally look into a BMW 335i with the N54 motor. Yes they have some high pressure fuel pump and injector issues, but once those are sorted out by the dealer (warranty till 100k, recall notice) the car is fantastic. Handles very well and takes to mods very easily too. Cobb tuning flash can get it to 300whp and 350wtq with no effort.

I had a 135i and I loved that car. Ended up making 340rwhp and 390rwtq on the dyno after a protune.

I have had a Evo 8 and a 13 STi. The evo is a fantastic car, but is tiresome to drive kinda like the s2000. The STi was a much better compromise for high performance and practicality.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Supra Evo you will need to be cautious to make sure you don't get one that's beaten to hell. Is-f last forever from my friends that have had them. But just remember, the ecu is basically locked so you won't get power unless you go stand alone.

Under 30k my friends would probably recommend e46 M3 or the m5. My brother in law has a 135 and he's inlove with it and refuses to sell it. They are a great bargain and tons of mods.

For me? If I didn't snag such a good deal on this s2000 I would have gotten the r32 gtr. But don't expect ease of maintenance and availability of parts like many of the other cars. Another great car that I love, not sure if you can find them under 30k used is the golf R.

Any who good luck! Variety is the spice of life!
Old 07-02-2015, 08:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on the BMW 335i w/ n54, just picked one up and haven't looked back. Handles well, and looking to tune in the next few months to wake up the power. I was pretty much in the same scenario and was looking at Evo's, & E60 M5's, after a test drive in my buddies 335i I was sold. Realistically would have gone with the E60, but didn't wanna have to refuel every other day .
Old 07-02-2015, 09:43 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't sell the s!
Old 07-02-2015, 12:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

C5 Z06?
Old 07-02-2015, 05:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TougeHorseman
Don't sell the s!
I have to agree with Casey. I was thinking about selling my s right when I finish paying it off in another year or so to buy a Turbo 911. To be honest though as great as the 911 is and how well it handled at an autocross I did it in it I don't think I'd be as happy in the long term with it, simply because the car masked my mistakes and I like the s2000's feedback and dig the fact that it challenges it's driver. The Porsche for me would not only mean paying off one car loan and getting another, but I would also be getting a car that would potentially lose it's value at a much faster pace and cost an arm and a leg to maintain.

I was going to recommend an older M5 but you said you want to do maintenance yourself haha. Out of the ones you selected I would say a Supra sounds like the car worth getting since it will retain it's value and you can also use it to get sideways in. The though of an evo is cool but it's far from a neck breaker and unless you plan on driving in the snow or in dirt what do you really plan on using the awd function for?
Old 07-07-2015, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I see what you guys are saying..

I've done some thinking. I think you're right... If I'm going straight across to another car, for around this price.. I think the Supra takes the win. Unless I could 2jz swap an rx7.. but then I'm stuck with the same space if not less, than the s2000. So.. That's what I've come too.

NSX, bmw, audi, all the luxuries are all out. RHD is out, screw that inconvenience. Evo's are out. I think It's going to be keep the S.. get a truck or something else so I can retire it from DD.. and then boost or, whatever.

OR, just go straight for the big daddy supra.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That sounds like a solid game plan I think...
Old 07-07-2015, 09:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is the cars i've owned over the course of last 20 years for more than 1 year

civic si - greddy turbo
integra gsr - b20 swap
240sx 97 - sr20det swap
Ae86 GTS
Miata NA
Miata NB turbo
Miata Mazdaspeed
NSX NA1
Supra NA
E46 M3
Supra Turbo
Rx7 FD
S2000 Ap1
S2000 Ap2
Rx7 FD V8

my fav car are the following which i kept.

Supra Turbo - CHEAP to make power!! never worry about value dropping, cash out anytime.
S2000 - BEST all around car! daily, track, mountain , girls love it!
Rx7 - Rare , Raw , Raw , Fast
c
if i had more space in the garage i would love to get a evo as a family car and build a ae86 with f22c

Quick Reply: Cars you've owned.. POST S2000