California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Car's Display Board

Old 03-23-2007, 08:48 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by minako' date='Mar 23 2007, 08:24 AM
Rick - as a computer graphic, it looks good. But as an actual printout on a board... I'm not sure if the background layover thingie on the main picture would interfere with visibility of the car itself. Just a thought~

Also, even though the sign would be 11"x17", the font might need to be bigger. You gotta take into account that lighting at car shows is usually pretty dim, so you'll have a lot of people leaning in really close to try and read the sign (or just skip it entirely). 36"x24" shouldn't be an issue, though.
I agree with you on some of the points, this is just a initial rough draft as cars are a new realm for her and she's just getting the feel for what we (car people) like.....

Sometimes what looks good on monitor won't be good on paper and vice versa!

11x17 is a bit small but that was all my printer could print out on last minute notice, I agree all display boards should be at least 36x24!

Please feel free to give feedback (good and bad) I'm sure mai will read this after she wakes up....
Old 03-23-2007, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh! She's still sleeping!

So I'll say "Good morning, Mai~" for her to see when she gets up
Old 03-23-2007, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by minako' date='Mar 23 2007, 07:23 AM
I like that last one the best. The font is definitely more legible
Although the use of the pixelated low resolution model image doesn't really help things.

In the first layout the box tile pattern placed ontop of the large image defeats the purpose of making the image large and a seemingly first read. Also the placement of circles and squares around the edges of that larger image make it a playful theme that I would use soley for doing preschool/ kid type of designs.

I like the use of the different type faces, but I think you can also improve on it, for the "Rick's2005 rio s2000comptech supercharged - aka s4play" title, from a distance It looks like a jumble and there isn't any clear read that my eye will gravitate towards first. I would try to organize it better and probably use a single type face, that way you can get a nice easy to read title.

I like the concept though and I think everyone entering a show will look much more professional with something like this by their car.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:00 AM

^ Listen to this guy. This kind of stuff is his fort
Old 03-23-2007, 09:42 AM

everyone!

Thanx 4 the feedbacks. This is my 1st time working w cars, hehehe, bit clumpsy and awkward. Trying to improve it!

on the feedbacks. heheh, the model pic is just a practice, yup, web image res doesnt look good at all . Still research on a font that stands out but readbale
Old 03-23-2007, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Stephenopoly' date='Mar 23 2007, 08:57 AM
Although the use of the pixelated low resolution model image doesn't really help things.

In the first layout the box tile pattern placed ontop of the large image defeats the purpose of making the image large and a seemingly first read. Also the placement of circles and squares around the edges of that larger image make it a playful theme that I would use soley for doing preschool/ kid type of designs.

I like the use of the different type faces, but I think you can also improve on it, for the "Rick's2005 rio s2000comptech supercharged - aka s4play" title, from a distance It looks like a jumble and there isn't any clear read that my eye will gravitate towards first. I would try to organize it better and probably use a single type face, that way you can get a nice easy to read title.

I like the concept though and I think everyone entering a show will look much more professional with something like this by their car.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:21 PM

^^

i would suggest having more white space. the patterns around the boxes detract from the beauty shots of the car. also, the font makes it difficult to see the words.

design should be used to enhance the information and images, not mask it.

a good reference for designing for the automotive industry would be car sites like porsche. you'll see that their main focus is a beauty shot of the car accented by small beauty shots.

i did a quick mock up this morning of something with more white space. it's just a simple design that was derived from your page layout.

hope this helps!
Old 03-23-2007, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by msmokie' date='Mar 23 2007, 01:21 PM
^^

i would suggest having more white space. the patterns around the boxes detract from the beauty shots of the car. also, the font makes it difficult to see the words.

design should be used to enhance the information and images, not mask it.

a good reference for designing for the automotive industry would be car sites like porsche. you'll see that their main focus is a beauty shot of the car accented by small beauty shots.

i did a quick mock up this morning of something with more white space. it's just a simple design that was derived from your page layout.

hope this helps!
I like much better

Although you almost have a tangency with the car just barely touching the left side of the layout. I would also suggest straightening out the car so its not crooked
Old 03-23-2007, 02:21 PM

it's going over a speed bump...yeahhh....that's it...
Old 03-23-2007, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by msmokie' date='Mar 23 2007, 02:21 PM
it's going over a speed bump...yeahhh....that's it...

Quick Reply: Car's Display Board