California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

CARB Sticker Question

Old 04-18-2009, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Kevint,Apr 18 2009, 12:15 PM
The term "probable cause" is so vague, but don't let police officers use that term anytime they want to.

If you were pulled over for street racing, than THAT is probable cause to get a hood popped.

But like one of my situation, I got pulled over for rolling on a stop sign very slowly at like 1am, and he asked to pop my hood. In my opinion, that is NOT probable cause. Just because I rolled on a stop sign on an empty road, doesn't intend at all that I have illegal modifications.

I Don't know if you were doing anything stupid, but in your situation, rolling with 15 imports is not probable cause to get hoods popped. Even if all 15 cars looked like straightup hot rods, the police officer shouldn't be able to use probable cause to pop your hoods. Answer this, can a police officer randomly pat down 15 guys wearing "I love marijuana shirts" if they were all caught in a smoke shop looking at pipes? No, the law doesn't allow the police officer to do that, because technically there is probable cause.

You should always cooperate with police officers, but dont be afraid to exercise your right to say no if you believe they are abusing their powers.
Very True....I dont really have anything to hide because I know everything is legal so I guess I didnt really care and I would save my breath. Haha plus how bad would it be if I was the only one to refuse to pop my hood, I def think I would catch some s**** for it. Anyway whats done is done. Good point though
Old 04-18-2009, 01:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Kevint,Apr 18 2009, 01:15 PM
You should always cooperate with police officers, but dont be afraid to exercise your right to say no if you believe they are abusing their powers.
Exactly.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:49 PM

There is no way to verify that your intake is the carb legal without the sticker in the intake. If the part # of the intake was on it then you could it could be verified, but i cant remember last time I saw that. Having the instruction and install manual does not prove/verify your intake is the one that is legal. You need to call AEM and get a replacement sticker. Usually they will want some sort of receipt to prove you do own the intake in question..

Old 04-19-2009, 12:25 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

probable cause is defined as more than a hunch and the officer must be able to present the evidence of his "probable cause" to a judge and the story has to be coherent. but then again there was a case where probable cause was a policeman's intuition of 2 shady characters outside a liquor store and he found them with firearms.

so for an intake, its not worth putting up a fight. however if your car was being threatened to be crushed for a built motor w/ forced induction and mysterious VIN#'s then you may want to argue that the case was never valid in the first place.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:19 AM

yeps, email AEM and they will help u out.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:38 AM

I got mine second hand, so I can't get a carb sticker from them, no receipt.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danvuquoc,Apr 19 2009, 06:38 AM
I got mine second hand, so I can't get a carb sticker from them, no receipt.
Just tell them u lost the receipt and you can send a pic or something then they ll send it anyways.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:00 PM

companies want you to use their stuff whether second hand or not. they should mail you a sticker no problem.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:22 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

lol i put an injen sticker (its vinyl?) on an AEM intake for my prelude and sent a picture, got a CARB sticker a week later and all was well.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:41 PM

AEM will get you a new sticker

Quick Reply: CARB Sticker Question