California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Car struggling to crank

Old 09-19-2014, 05:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Car struggling to crank

So I was trying to test one of those Bluetooth OBD2 scanners/adapters on my 2004 AP2. I plugged it in next to the console on the driver's side, turned the key one click, my dash lights turned on and the lights on the adapter turned on, and I tried to connect via Bluetooth on my phone. It couldn't find the adapter in range. So then I turned the key all the way, held the clutch in, and pressed the red starter button (with the OBD2 still plugged in). The lights on the dash suddenly went off with a somewhat quiet "pop" sound, and that was it. Now if I put the key in the ignition the car will beep repeatedly as long as the door is open. With the door closed, inserting the key does nothing. Also, when I press the unlock/lock buttons on the key, I can hear the doors trying to unlock but it seems they don't have enough juice to actually flip the locks. Trunk also won't open, headlights won't turn on, etc.

Could the OBD2 adapter have shorted something? I did have the starter replaced about 8 months ago.

Update #1:

Checked the following fuses and they all appeared to be fine:

ACG
Ignition Coil
Engine Start
Starter Signal

Update #2:

Tried to jump start using my Civic. Let the engine rev at 2000rpm for almost 10 minutes. This is what happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_lVDNVC74w

Dash turns on, headlights work, but engine will not turn over. Could this be a shorted battery, or a bad starter?
Old 09-19-2014, 05:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well it's reacting just like a dead battery
my doors/trunk worked still when my battery was semi-dead

it starts almost immediately when jumping with the civic, right?
Old 09-19-2014, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Zygrene
So I was trying to test one of those Bluetooth OBD2 scanners/adapters on my 2004 AP2. I plugged it in next to the console on the driver's side, turned the key one click, my dash lights turned on and the lights on the adapter turned on, and I tried to connect via Bluetooth on my phone. It couldn't find the adapter in range. So then I turned the key all the way, held the clutch in, and pressed the red starter button (with the OBD2 still plugged in). The lights on the dash suddenly went off with a somewhat quiet "pop" sound, and that was it. Now if I put the key in the ignition the car will beep repeatedly as long as the door is open. With the door closed, inserting the key does nothing. Also, when I press the unlock/lock buttons on the key, I can hear the doors trying to unlock but it seems they don't have enough juice to actually flip the locks. Trunk also won't open, headlights won't turn on, etc.

Could the OBD2 adapter have shorted something? I did have the starter replaced about 8 months ago.

Update #1:

Checked the following fuses and they all appeared to be fine:

ACG
Ignition Coil
Engine Start
Starter Signal

Update #2:

Tried to jump start using my Civic. Let the engine rev at 2000rpm for almost 10 minutes. This is what happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_lVDNVC74w

Dash turns on, headlights work, but engine will not turn over. Could this be a shorted battery, or a bad starter?
sound like your battery is drained and you have no cranking amps left. i would do a battery test. your car is cranking so you can rule out the starter.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:41 PM

Considering I don't have a multimeter or a trickle charger, which would make more sense to try first? Will O'Reilly usually test your battery for free if you bring it in?
Old 09-19-2014, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Zygrene
Considering I don't have a multimeter or a trickle charger, which would make more sense to try first? Will O'Reilly usually test your battery for free if you bring it in?
depends on if they have nothing more to do or if they're not lazy. the one by my place does it for free cause they're nice people
Old 09-20-2014, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can do tests on batteries only if they are fully charged. Your batteries sounds like they are drained. Try jumping it first and drive it around for about 30 mins to charge it up a bit and then see if it does anything. If it fixed the problem, I recommend doing that for about 2 to 3 days and then bring it in for a battery load test.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by madmaxblaster
You can do tests on batteries only if they are fully charged. Your batteries sounds like they are drained. Try jumping it first and drive it around for about 30 mins to charge it up a bit and then see if it does anything. If it fixed the problem, I recommend doing that for about 2 to 3 days and then bring it in for a battery load test.
I tried jumping it a few times already to no avail. So should I even bother bringing the battery in to O'Reilly for a test?
Old 09-20-2014, 10:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not your battery.

Sounds like starter fluid might be little low.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by nos4you
It's not your battery.

Sounds like starter fluid might be little low.
But a little while after trying to jump start it, all the lights/electronics stopped working again. That suggests the battery ran out of juice again.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:06 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Did you check your big fuses?

which scanner do you have and what does it look like? If you connected certain pins on the obd scanner port (by way of your scanner), you may have damaged your ECU.

Edit: just re-read your charging method. Leave your civic running (with jumper cables attached) while you try to start your s2000 and see if it'll start.

Quick Reply: Car struggling to crank