California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Car Alarm & Installer Recommendation

Old 05-08-2011, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hkchung113
Did you guys buy the alarm from Jim@Pro Audio? I got a quote from Jim, and his price on the alarm is way more from I found online. Did you buy the alarm and bring over there for install or you brought from Pro Audio?
bought it there.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by cpx3mbp
i'd just run one of these clifford g5 http://www.clifford.com/Products/Pro...?ProductID=719. don't get remote start or ignition kill. remote start is bad news if the car is left in gear even once. ignition kill will come back down the road and kill the motor when you're driving. in terms of installation, audiomobile in oakland did a good job on mine and were very helpful.

Ahhhhhh........yeah that remote start thing could be problematic!
Old 09-13-2011, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tekstar
After running into some issues with my old alarm, I took my car to All Pro Audio to have it replaced. Jim is a great guy

Originally Posted by na3j nitsuj' timestamp='1304539891' post='20538697
I have both prox and remote start and back up battery for my alarm.
I don't think that remote start is all that worth it unless you live somewhere that gets pretty cold.
For remote start to work there's a sequence you have to do everytime before shutting the car off that includes leaving that car in neutral and with the e-brake up.

I got my alarm installed by all pro audio in San Jose off stevens creek.

You can call or go there and talk to Jim. Let him know that Justin (me) recommended them to you. He'll make sure that you'll be happy with your alarm install.
Always remember that with everything you purchase " you get what you pay for"
You don't want shops to install your alarm system the wrong way.
Jim will make sure your alarm system will be installed properly.
Might need to look in to this shop for the GPW. Thanks for the tips guys.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by flyinchop
Originally Posted by cpx3mbp' timestamp='1304537211' post='20538449
i'd just run one of these clifford g5 http://www.clifford.com/Products/Pro...?ProductID=719. don't get remote start or ignition kill. remote start is bad news if the car is left in gear even once. ignition kill will come back down the road and kill the motor when you're driving. in terms of installation, audiomobile in oakland did a good job on mine and were very helpful.

Ahhhhhh........yeah that remote start thing could be problematic!
There are ways to deal with it so that doesn't happen.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:42 AM

I highly recommend Limitless Motorsports in San Bruno. They're an authorized & recommended Directed Electronics (Viper, Clifford, etc.) dealer.

The co-owner & installer, Alex, knows his shit. He did a stealth install on my DC2 a few years ago, I daily drove and street parked it in San Francisco for 2 years and it never got stolen or messed with. PM me if you want details about what I had (it was the works haha).

Limitless Motorsports
1049 San Mateo Ave
San Bruno, CA 94066
(650) 740-3840
www.limitlessmotorsports.com
Old 09-13-2011, 11:55 AM

An alarm's effectiveness is as good as the the quality of its installation. I've seen install jobs where the unit is too easily accessible those shortening the time to disable.

If you have the time to do it yourself, or the money for a high quality install, some suggestions are:
-change out the color of the wires.
-tuck the brain deep inside the dash
-use hidden cutoff switches
-back up battery
-back up siren with battery
-tuck all wires and loom it with factory wiring.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Auto Sound & Security670 El Camino Real # ARedwood City, CA 94063-1372(650) 364-6041I recommend these guys! Ask for John or Patrick. Tell them that "Casey with the Mitsuishi Eclipse and yellow s2000 sent you"Also, most remote start systems have a 'fail safe" (or two) to prevent the car from actually starting when it is left parked in gear. Autosound installed a remote start on my manual transmission, and it had two fail safe checks to prevent it from happening.
Casey thanks for the info. I may check them out sometime soon.

Originally Posted by tunerplayground
I highly recommend Limitless Motorsports in San Bruno. They're an authorized & recommended Directed Electronics (Viper, Clifford, etc.) dealer. The co-owner & installer, Alex, knows his shit. He did a stealth install on my DC2 a few years ago, I daily drove and street parked it in San Francisco for 2 years and it never got stolen or messed with. PM me if you want details about what I had (it was the works haha). Limitless Motorsports1049 San Mateo AveSan Bruno, CA 94066(650) 740-3840www.limitlessmotorsports.com
Since i work in redwood city i could check out both places for both cars i own. I wanna see price differences.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:45 AM

A long while ago, I had a Clifford alarm + remote start on my GTI. My boss came into my office and started pressing the buttons on my remote. I didn't realize what he was doing since we were both staring into my monitor, but when it finally hit me, I told him to stop and that my car outside is in gear without the e-brake on (it was winter and I didn't want the brake to stick). He was like, oh don't worry we're so far away!

We ran outside and my car pushed up against his Audi A4, pushing his car up onto the curb and into the car infront of him.
A colleague was just getting into the office and thought someone was playing a prank with him, but if he walked infront of my car at that point in time (plausible since the walkway was right there), he would've been crushed!

My bumper was cracked (he paid for it), and his rear bumper was all bashed in, the car infront of his only had a few scratches.

Since then, I'm afraid of remote starters. It was supposed to detect the car in-gear but apparently not! (I bought the car with alarm installed already).

p.s.- VR6 has tons of torque!
Old 09-28-2011, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by kevinvr6
A long while ago, I had a Clifford alarm + remote start on my GTI. My boss came into my office and started pressing the buttons on my remote. I didn't realize what he was doing since we were both staring into my monitor, but when it finally hit me, I told him to stop and that my car outside is in gear without the e-brake on (it was winter and I didn't want the brake to stick). He was like, oh don't worry we're so far away!

We ran outside and my car pushed up against his Audi A4, pushing his car up onto the curb and into the car infront of him.
A colleague was just getting into the office and thought someone was playing a prank with him, but if he walked infront of my car at that point in time (plausible since the walkway was right there), he would've been crushed!

My bumper was cracked (he paid for it), and his rear bumper was all bashed in, the car infront of his only had a few scratches.

Since then, I'm afraid of remote starters. It was supposed to detect the car in-gear but apparently not! (I bought the car with alarm installed already).

p.s.- VR6 has tons of torque!
That sucks... At least your boss paid for it. It all boils down to who/which shop installed your alarm system.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can somebody tell me if all s2000 has a factory alarm? I bought a AP2 and was only given two sets of keys, no remote. He said there is an alarm and all I would need is a remote. If that's true, who's willing to sell a remote