California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Car Alarm & Installer Recommendation

Old 05-04-2011, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Alarm & Installer Recommendation

Just got my S2K and now I am thinking about installing an alarm to protect my car. What kind of alarm you guys or girls used around here? Would a pager alarm with proximity sensor be overkill?

Recommendations on alarm and installers who know S2000 would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-04-2011, 11:26 AM

i'd just run one of these clifford g5 http://www.clifford.com/Products/Pro...?ProductID=719. don't get remote start or ignition kill. remote start is bad news if the car is left in gear even once. ignition kill will come back down the road and kill the motor when you're driving. in terms of installation, audiomobile in oakland did a good job on mine and were very helpful.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Auto Sound & Security
670 El Camino Real # A
Redwood City, CA 94063-1372
(650) 364-6041

I recommend these guys! Ask for John or Patrick. Tell them that "Casey with the Mitsuishi Eclipse and yellow s2000 sent you"

Also, most remote start systems have a 'fail safe" (or two) to prevent the car from actually starting when it is left parked in gear. Autosound installed a remote start on my manual transmission, and it had two fail safe checks to prevent it from happening.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:39 AM

I remember an S2ki member here told me a story about how rain kept setting off his proximity sensor. I also knew a friend that had proximity and it would be overly sensitive to people just walking by his car in a parking lot. This was with the sensitivity turned low, I believe. Anyone else have experience with proximity sensors? I'm also in the boat on this one.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:41 AM

I have remote start and proximity on my car. But I have kill switches for both of them
Old 05-04-2011, 12:03 PM

I don't really need remote start, but from what i read, the proximity sensor can deter people from cutting your top...

I looking at the Viper 5901 (1 mile range pager)with proximity sensor and backup battery, anyone have the 5901? how do you like it?
Old 05-04-2011, 12:11 PM

I have both prox and remote start and back up battery for my alarm.
I don't think that remote start is all that worth it unless you live somewhere that gets pretty cold.
For remote start to work there's a sequence you have to do everytime before shutting the car off that includes leaving that car in neutral and with the e-brake up.

I got my alarm installed by all pro audio in San Jose off stevens creek.

You can call or go there and talk to Jim. Let him know that Justin (me) recommended them to you. He'll make sure that you'll be happy with your alarm install.
Always remember that with everything you purchase " you get what you pay for"
You don't want shops to install your alarm system the wrong way.
Jim will make sure your alarm system will be installed properly.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:15 PM

That alarm is pretty good. Placement of the proximity sensor is key. I have mine set to where people can get in and out of their cars, if parked next to me, without setting it off. Proximity sensor won't stop anyone from cutting your top. I only got it because I like having extra features.

Nothing won't save your soft top, but if you get an alarm you might as well get all the options you can.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by hkchung113
I don't really need remote start, but from what i read, the proximity sensor can deter people from cutting your top...

I looking at the Viper 5901 (1 mile range pager)with proximity sensor and backup battery, anyone have the 5901? how do you like it?
I heard about that viper alarm too, it being 1mile radius. The catch to that is, yes it is 1 mile, but there has to be nothing around to block the signal. The remote start will not work from a mile away, just the alarm. Other than that i heard so much good reviews about the viper 5901. Re ote start or not its an awesome alarm.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:17 PM

Are Viper, Python, and Clifford car alarms essentially all the same with just aesthetic differences?

Quick Reply: Car Alarm & Installer Recommendation