California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

California: Police Raid Car Enthusiast Gathering

Old 04-04-2008, 08:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Orthonormal,Apr 4 2008, 09:33 AM
That report was really biased. As an easy example, it included a quote from a cop at a different incident a year ago that made the police look bad. Maybe things didn't go down exactly the way you are assuming based on reading this one article.
Maybe it didn't go down like that, but "Despite labeling the parking lot raid as taking place at a "street racing venue," Riverside Police offered no evidence that any street racing actually took place"
Old 04-04-2008, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Orthonormal,Apr 4 2008, 08:33 AM
That report was really biased. As an easy example, it included a quote from a cop at a different incident a year ago that made the police look bad. Maybe things didn't go down exactly the way you are assuming based on reading this one article.
This was one of the most biased articles I have ever read, so it's hard to take the author seriously. It is very clear that the author is anti-police.

I don't get what everyone is getting upset over, though. You're getting mad at police officers for enforcing laws?
Old 04-04-2008, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K,Apr 4 2008, 08:38 AM
Maybe it didn't go down like that, but "Despite labeling the parking lot raid as taking place at a "street racing venue," Riverside Police offered no evidence that any street racing actually took place"
Who cares what they labeled the parking lot as? It's not like anybody got arrested for street racing. They can call the parking lot whatever they want; the bottom line is that they gave out tickets to people who were guilty of violations - what's the problem with that?
Old 04-04-2008, 08:57 AM

you go tell 'em vu! first riverside and socal... next thing you know they'll be at our milpitas and easbay meets trying to ticket everyone! this is just WRONG for the police to do
Old 04-04-2008, 08:58 AM

the problem is that they could be allocating their money and time to something else that would be well spent. things such as catching drunk drivers that actually kill people... not like ticketing people who have a no front license plates, who DONT kill people...
Old 04-04-2008, 08:59 AM

That y i hate cop!!!!!!!!!!!always being hating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-04-2008, 08:59 AM

its a free country... why shouldnt automotive enthusiasts be allowed to gather without fear of being harrassed by the police?
Old 04-04-2008, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by CalBear07,Apr 4 2008, 09:49 AM
This was one of the most biased articles I have ever read, so it's hard to take the author seriously. It is very clear that the author is anti-police.

I don't get what everyone is getting upset over, though. You're getting mad at police officers for enforcing laws?
so I take it your car is not modded at all and no tinted windows and never drive above speed limit?

If cops just stand on the street, stop everyone with that kind of violation, fine. But to close off a friendly car(Jap car/young people) meet and assuming they are/will "street racing", that's wrong and it's discrimination.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by CalBear07,Apr 4 2008, 09:49 AM
There are real crimes and there are victimless crimes.

To spent $500,000 to write tickets for tint and no front plate is just absurb IMO. Spend that money to do drug raids and gang enforcement.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by gpwuster,Apr 4 2008, 09:03 AM
so I take it your car is not modded at all and no tinted windows and never drive above speed limit?

If cops just stand on the street, stop everyone with that kind of violation, fine. But to close off a friendly car(Jap car/young people) meet and assuming they are/will "street racing", that's wrong and it's discrimination.
No, I can't say that's true, but if I were to get pulled over for speeding, or for tinted windows, or for no front plate, I wouldn't bitch about those "damn pigs" that are out to get me. I understand that I'm breaking the law and I have no problem with police officers enforcing it. It's a risk I take.

The assumption that they are street racing is irrelevant. The article does not mention anybody getting arrested for street racing. You can call it "discrimination" if you want - technically, it is discrimination, but police officers "discriminate" all the time, and I think you'd agree that it is often a good policy. Would you rather a police officer camp out in a seedy part of town to try to catch criminals, or would you rather they camp out at a retirement home? Police officers use their judgement to help them catch people who break the law. Waiting at a street corner and trying to catch passing cars is a waste of time, because most people do NOT take off their front plates, tint their front windows, etc. It's a no-brainer to go to a gathering of car enthusiasts because that's where all the violators are.

Quick Reply: California: Police Raid Car Enthusiast Gathering