California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Buddy Club Coilover

Old 01-24-2005, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All: Can you comment further on the "bang" sound? Is it definitely different from a clunking sound. I'm afraid I'm hearing more of a clunking sound, like something might be loose. And it's only on the passenger front side.

Let me know if you have any additional ideas.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yakswak,
I hate to add sound to words... but I think the "bang" comes from the "clunk." When you are going up a driveway slowly (most pronounced at an angle) you can make the "clunk" sound. I think this is all from the pillowball mount being unloaded and then reloaded.

At freeway speeds the unloading and loading happen so fast, the clunk turns into a bang.

JDMWhore,
I haven't tracked it yet. I want to make sure I have the rear suspension set up better (I know... I'm a ) as the car oversteers much easier now which I am trying to dial out. I think the suspension is very good... I think it will be better when I know what the hell I am doing when I adjust it!
Old 01-24-2005, 12:28 PM

yakswak,

I reduced the "bang and clunk" by adding more rebound to the shock travel (lower the spring perch)... this worked for me.

PM me and we can meet up one of these weekends and compare rides.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by RWD_RCKT,Jan 24 2005, 01:25 PM
yakswak,
I hate to add sound to words... but I think the "bang" comes from the "clunk." When you are going up a driveway slowly (most pronounced at an angle) you can make the "clunk" sound. I think this is all from the pillowball mount being unloaded and then reloaded.

At freeway speeds the unloading and loading happen so fast, the clunk turns into a bang.

Exactly! I just took it down to gruppe-s and on the way I noticed that it is a clunking sound at low speeds and a banging sound at higher speeds. I am just nervous to get the car back and still not have the problem fixed. I told him the possibilities that I have heard from other members on here and then he test drove and said he will look at it. If it isn't fixed this time I am giving one of you guys that have had this problem a call for a meet up, so you can actually show me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks again
Old 01-24-2005, 02:42 PM

RWD/S2K00,

Those are my exact problems. How succesful were you in "tightening" the suspension stack? I imagine it's the nut at the top, but as I mentioned the shaft is connected to this so it's hard to really tighten this (of course, there is no info in the instructions for torque specs, if any). Oh, and I'm fluent in Japanese but the instructions are crap; not much info there at all.

Thanks,

Yosuke
Old 01-24-2005, 08:51 PM

OK the rears were installed by Terrance, and the front swapped from left to right. The clunk that was on the right side moved to the left side in the front...and I have the same noise from the rear right.

Since I have one good side and one bad side, he suggested to take it apart one of these nights and compare the two. Let me know if anyone comes up with anything.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:12 PM

Well I got my car back from gruppe-s and the clunk is still there. They test drove it and realized the loud noise, then looked at the control arms and found nothing wrong with those, and took the coilovers out and reinstalled and tightened everything down. Well it still make clunk noise, and they said that all coilover do that but the BC's are just a little bit louder than the rest. Some how I don't believe this. I just don't have enough knowledge about coilovers to fix the problem myself, anyone want to help, or plan on going to the weekly meet this Wed. and want to check it out then. Plus I don't know if I should be driving much with this noise, and without a alignment?? Can I damage anything? Thanks
Old 01-25-2005, 06:45 AM

After viewing the pillowball mount in detail, the design of the pillowball mount has been "value engineered" (Spanish for cheap) and that the only solution to eliminating the clunk/bang is to remove the pillowball mount and use the stock S2000 top perch.

That being said, I am still okay with a little clunk... and I feel there is no safety risk. I managed to get "most" of the clunk/bang out.. but it is still there. I might be able to get to the Boba meet this week, but we won't be able to wrench but we could meet up and go for a ride around the block.

Where the hell is the Boba meet this week? I don't think I have ever to been to one of Charles' meets yet. I am so out of touch!
Old 01-25-2005, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by S2K00,Jan 23 2005, 01:37 PM
^ Do you mean the bolt that is accessible once you open the hood?
yes
Old 01-25-2005, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by RWD_RCKT,Jan 25 2005, 07:45 AM
Where the hell is the Boba meet this week? I don't think I have ever to been to one of Charles' meets yet. I am so out of touch!
Well I just found out that the weekly meets have actually been held off to later notice. So... Thanks anyways!!

Quick Reply: Buddy Club Coilover