California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Broomstick Test NCRC

Old 08-30-2011, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can anyone clarify whether they will pay for some of the seat and some of the roll bar?
Old 08-30-2011, 01:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lewiS2K
can anyone clarify whether they will pay for some of the seat and some of the roll bar?
http://www.ncracing.org/club-info.php

NCRC

SAFETY UPDATE

March 7, 2011: NCRC expands Safety Equipment Reimbursements to non-NCRC events
NCRC has created a fund to financially contribute to the purchase of convertible safety equipment for open track drivers participating in non-NCRC events at Laguna Seca, Thunderhill, Infineon or Reno-Fernley. This program is separate and additional to the program currently in place for NCRC drivers.
To take advantage of this new program, drivers must register by filling out a Safety Equipment Reimbursement Form, and provide "proof of entry" receipts for the events in which they participate. NCRC will give a $10 cash reimbursement for each event.

May 10, 2010: Have NCRC help pay for your safety equipment!
Not only does NCRC provide its drivers with some of the most cost-effective track days, but today we’re making another industry-first move to demonstrate that safety continues to be our top priority. We will help pay for the upgrades necessary to pass the broomstick test in your convertible and be safer on the track.

Here’s how it works:
Purchase and install your rollbar and/or seat lowering kit.
Send us your receipts for parts and labor (must be dated after May 10, 2010).
We’ll discount every event (a weekend event is considered one event) you attend with us by $50 for the next two years, or until we’ve paid half of the upgrade cost.

We'll even pay you $10 for attending another club's event!
Recently we’ve seen a fair bit of “fudging” from drivers on the broomstick test, which up to now has been self-administered. We’re checking convertibles with the broomstick at every event, and drivers that do not pass the test will not be allowed on the track. No refunds will be given for failure to pass the broomstick test.

Complete this form to register to receive your safety equipment reimbursements
* NCRC will pay up to $500 toward equipment and installation costs. Offer is open to any convertible car which does not pass the broomstick test.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by macr88
I'm 5' 11" and I've sat in a couple of cars with seats and roll bars and I still don't pass.
Thats cuz you're shaped like Shrek dude!

Old 08-30-2011, 04:45 PM

NCRC has a great reimbursement program. I highly recommend getting a roll bar.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tunerplayground
NCRC has a great reimbursement program. I highly recommend getting a roll bar.
Yup, even if it's used roll bar/seat, they'll reimburse it
Old 08-30-2011, 06:29 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

A seat and Buddy Club rails can drop your butt an inch or two, but there's more "hidden" gains because most seats force you to curve your spine rather than sit up straight. They essentially force you into a slouch, and you tilt the whole seat back a bit to get your head angle right, again lowering your head a bit. My head is lower than my girlfriend's in the stock pass seat, and I'm a good 6 inches taller than she is. Pretty confident I would pass at 5'11".
Old 08-30-2011, 08:50 PM

Awesome, thanks for all the great input! I love finding a knowledgeable/helpful response from a forum like this.

As for Voodoo's comment about torso height, I'm not sure... my build is neither particularly long legs or long torso I think. When I buy jeans I usually get a 32" length and those tend to look a tad short if I don't where em a bit low. Maybe that helps answer the long leg vs long torso question?

Is there a lot of difference in height when it comes to choosing a racing seat with side mount rails? I noticed the first two responders (outkast, chuhsi) both had the bride vios iii. Is that one a lot lower than most, or when selecting from that style of bucket seat regardless of brand are they all gonna be pretty low?

Also, any recommended local shops that might have a knowledgeable staff when its comes to fitting a car for the track with seats/rollbar/harness etc? Getting the install work of this kind of safety equipment totally spot on seems pretty damn important haha
Old 08-30-2011, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by ninjajwl
Is there a good chance they won't let your car on the track if you do not pass the broom stick test? I'm 5'9" and I do not want to change / modify anything on my car and I have a NASA event coming up soon.

I know safety is most important, but since it's my first HPDE event (in the beginner class), I was wondering if I could just go with my stock S2000?
NASA does not have a broomstick test. The stock roll hoops are fine.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:30 PM

I'm trying to figure out how to pass the test, too, and be safe, of course. I really don't want to tear up my car to install the hard dog bar, especially just to get on the track for the first time, though I guess I'll go that route if I have to. At 5'10" with a 32" inseam (jeans size), I'm hoping I can pass with a racing seat & lowering rails. Should I just pull the trigger and hope for the best, or is there a way to test in advance of making the purchase? Will the local performance shops (I/O Port or LPI were two thrown out on my helmet thread) work with me to get it right?

For those with the bride vios iii, I've read that it's pretty narrow. Think it will it fit a 35" waist?

I'm hoping to make the Jan 23 NCRC event at Thunderhill...

BTW, for beginners, HOD does NOT do a broomstick test, but does have some restrictions on convertibles.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Call me a newb, but can someone explain exactly what a "broomstick test" is?

Quick Reply: Broomstick Test NCRC