California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Broken Rear Driver's Side Axle?

Old 06-02-2012, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dang glad everything was ok and didnt cause you to have an accident! yeah get a set of new axles and new axle nuts. I think youll be ok after that
Old 06-02-2012, 07:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LickyMYwalker
dang glad everything was ok and didnt cause you to have an accident! yeah get a set of new axles and new axle nuts. I think youll be ok after that
Thanks for your well wishes. The car gave out very gently like a elderly person passing peacefully in their sleep. I can't wait to hook up the paddles and jump start my baby back to life.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:27 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Wow man. Didn't know that happened right after I left! I'll be able to see it at joeys as I pass by the place all the time from work. Hopefully repairs won't be too much $$$!
Old 06-02-2012, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by darkfalcon
Wow man. Didn't know that happened right after I left! I'll be able to see it at joeys as I pass by the place all the time from work. Hopefully repairs won't be too much $$$!
LOL yup, be glad that you left, because it was a lonnnng process with the AAA drama. Feel free to check out my car anytime at Joey's and send me pics/updates! BTW, can you email me those sweet Forza edits you made of my car?
Old 06-02-2012, 10:39 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Andrew. Thank you for your help last night. You are a truly good friend. Once my car is back running again your reward is a session behind the wheel sittin in the Recaro! That raccoon was totally stalking us. Hilarious when it was holding onto that little tree and peering out behind it.

Amazing how AAA gave me the run around. Everything from outsourcing me to a mobile motorcycle repair man to a Firestone in Texas... I called AAA again at 8am after about three hours of sleep and they sent a flatbed from Action Towing in RWC immediately. He was a really nice guy and arrived in less than an hour.

Most of the technical talk is over my head. The more I think about this situation I think something was slowly going wrong with that exact rear left corner for a matter of months. I kept hearing an intermittent rotational scraping sound when I would make right hand turns. Through that time I had a sticky rear left caliper that created a similar rotational scrapin sound. I did get new pads and rotors and I still heard the sound. Shame on me for not taking it into my trusted mechanic to evaluate that sound earlier. Because it kept coming and going I guess I had some ridiculous fantasy that the problem had solved itself. I think I never heard the sound at high speed and high rpm for obvious reasons due to all the noise my car makes from intake and exhaust.
No worries sir! Now really looking forward to that jumpstart back to life.

I would imagine the sound you were hearing was coming from the wheel bearing. If it was failing it could cause some play in the hub causing more wear on the pads and rotor on that hub. I would have Joey look at the bearing/hub on the other side as well.

And I guess a word of advice to everyone, AAA doesn't do shit before 7 AM haha.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

good thing i had Mac replace my axel nuts. made my clicking go away back then.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:24 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Originally Posted by darkfalcon' timestamp='1338694079' post='21749779
LOL yup, be glad that you left, because it was a lonnnng process with the AAA drama. Feel free to check out my car anytime at Joey's and send me pics/updates! BTW, can you email me those sweet Forza edits you made of my car?
I'll try to see it on Tuesday if I'm free. I also emailed you the Forza 4 screenshots. Here's one of them.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

At the shop!
Old 06-03-2012, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by darkfalcon
[IMG]
Sweet! Thank you for saying hi to my baby!
She looks safe and sound.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:09 AM

Got the call from Joey today, parts which need replacing include:

- ABS sensor
- Axle
- Wheel hub
- Wheel bearing
- Brake Pads
- Brake Rotors

Quick Reply: Broken Rear Driver's Side Axle?