California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

body work

Old 07-09-2012, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default body work

Hello all, I have a 2006 S2000 that my dear wife crunched the front spoiler and bumper in the parking lot. She was most pissed that she did that. Anyway a local body shop wants about 2 grand to paint and replace these parts. The spoiler was actually the more expensive part. My question they are saying that this is a little bit more than 16 hours of work plus parts and paint. Does this sound reasonable and if not does anybody have a body shop in the Oakland CA area that they like.

Thanks
Old 07-09-2012, 04:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds way overpriced... need pics to assess though
Old 07-09-2012, 04:03 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

16 hours labor sounds like a lot to just replace the two parts and paint them ---is there any damage underneath they say needs to be repaired as well?

And if it's an OEM spoiler, they come prepainted from the factory so the only painting would be the bumper. ( does the body shop realize that?)

The prices for a new OEM front spoiler for an '06 are about $358 plus shipping from Majestic Honda prepainted (there are other places to get one-- this is just an example) its an easy diy project to stick it on (i put mine on my 07 in less than 2 hours taking my time) )

An option is to have the body shop replace and paint the bumper and then buy and install the spoiler yourself--- Majestic has the installation instructions online if you want to see how easy/hard it is to diy.

Scroll down to see the front spoilers---

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...IES+-+EXTERIOR
Old 07-10-2012, 01:25 AM

They would be painting the new bumper and lip and also blending the paint onto the fenders and hood. The headlights, side markers, windshield washers, fender liners,and side emblems would be removed and masking done on the rest. New emblems to replace the sides and one on the bumper would have to be ordered. With all this being done, thats still waaaaayyyyyy too high. Go somewhere else.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:38 AM

A painter that knows his colors would not have to blend your hood and fenders for color match. The reason I know is because I do it for a living

Sent from my Galaxy S II using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2012, 01:43 PM

Thanks everybody for the reply's I did not know the spoiler was available pre-painted. I could put that part on myself. Here is a picture of the damage. If anybody has a body shop in the Oakland/East bay area they like let me know. [/img]
Old 07-10-2012, 05:29 PM

I'd run like the wind from that body shop---$2k to replace and repaint the bumper and stick the spoiler on............what a rip off!!

One suggestion is to pull the spoiler off yourself (bolts along the bottom and one in each fenderwell plus the sticky tape that you use 20 lb fishing line to "saw" your way thru----see the installation instructions on the Majestic website and you'll see where the sticky tape is) and then use a hair dryer or heat gun (gently) and see if the bumper goes back into place by itself. (hey--- if you mess it up, no foul--- you were going to have it replaced anyway). With luck, the plastic on the bumper will go back to a normal shape---its not bent much.

You can then decide whether to leave it, get a can of touch up paint and paint just that lower cross bar yourself, or have a pro paint it.

If it doesnt go back into place with heat, you can have a pro replace and repaint the bumper and you've saved yourself some bucks by removing the spoiler youself and you've learned how it comes off so you'll know how to put a new one on.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do......
Old 07-11-2012, 07:11 AM

Thanks everybody for the suggestions, I will pull the spoiler off myself and see what happens with the rest.

take care
Old 07-11-2012, 10:50 AM

welcome!

keep us posted on how the repairs are going
Old 07-11-2012, 01:09 PM

I just pulled the front spoiler off, not a big deal but it does drive me nuts that there where so many types of fasteners. There is no way I am paying a body shop to put a new one on I will buy one myself and install it. I still need to have the front bumper cover replaced, to bad they don't come pre-painted. Anyway I just need to find a body shop that does not charge quite so much. Thanks for all the help.

take care.

Quick Reply: body work