California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

BMW CCA Auto X 10/16/11 Photographer Hit By Car

Old 10-16-2011, 11:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default BMW CCA Auto X 10/16/11 Photographer Hit By Car

So a photographer was hit today by a spinning M3 at BMW CCA's autox event at Marina. The car spun out while crossing the finish line and hit the photographer in the legs just below the knees, shattering both legs and destroying an $8000 camera rig. I have NEVER heard of something like this happening have you guys?
Old 10-17-2011, 12:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where was the photographer when the car spun out? that's one reason why i try not to get too close or stationary in one position for too long because i don't want that to happen to me
Old 10-17-2011, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats really sad to hear -- there's been a few driver->field accidents in the past years with various organizations -- thankfully it hasn't been too bad in the past. At least the photographer came out with their life, thats all I can say I'd be glad for at that point. Remember when working out there or photographing for your autocross session -- even if you're not inside the limits of the course:

- Always spot the car coming in, follow it until the car leaves your area.
- If you feel like you have a car coming into your zone while another car is leaving it -- you are in an unsafe area to work or photograph.
- Never run away from a car, run at a perpendicular angle from the car.
- If you're a photographer, get a spotter to look out for you.

It won't solve everything, but it surely keeps these types of accidents to a minimum.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like poor event/course planning. Not sure if the photographer was outside the rules by where he was standing, but standing anywhere near a racing car with nothing to protect you but and orange cone sounds risky to me.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the last auto x; Lewis, Justin, Eric & I were at a Station & I remember for a split second I was looking the other way & one of the Miata was plowing out of the turn - for a second Lewis started to push me to start to run. (Good looking out bro) Dan's advice is spot on - have to always be attentive & watching each car well as they come in/out.

So in this incident; since everyone signs a waiver - who takes care of that photographers medical bill? Does normal car insurance take care of that for the driver when participating in off-road events?
Old 10-19-2011, 08:50 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by danvuquoc
Thats really sad to hear -- there's been a few driver->field accidents in the past years with various organizations -- thankfully it hasn't been too bad in the past. At least the photographer came out with their life, thats all I can say I'd be glad for at that point. Remember when working out there or photographing for your autocross session -- even if you're not inside the limits of the course:

- If you feel like you have a car coming into your zone while another car is leaving it -- you are in an unsafe area to work or photograph.

It won't solve everything, but it surely keeps these types of accidents to a minimum.
Another thing, if you're a photographer, get a better lens so you can zoom in and be completely off course.

Hope the photographer is alright.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Originally Posted by danvuquoc' timestamp='1318863237' post='21076744

Another thing, if you're a photographer, get a better lens so you can zoom in and be completely off course.

Hope the photographer is alright.
LOL Amen to this, Drisana's camera has such a big lens you'd HAVE to be out of harms way just to snap a pic.