California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Bikers i got a question

Old 11-07-2011, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bikers i got a question

I sold my KTM . Looking for a street bike, maybe dual sport KTM(motard).

Should start w 250 or 600 or 650?
Obviously i got a bad ass car that i want to be driving so not planning to die :-p lol jk
???????? What do u recomend

Ps. If i do KTM motard it will be either 450 or 530
Old 11-07-2011, 04:30 PM

No matter what class you get, it won't lower the risk you put yourself on the streets. It all comes down to the rider; how he rides. If you're looking for a DD bike then get a 250cc other than that it won't be long until you get bored. I suggest a 600/650, I never got sick of mine and it was just mote than enough power. I would never ride a 1000cc though
Old 11-07-2011, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had over 9 bikes in my career, and a 250 to me is an unsafe bike. Not enough power for those squirlly situations. I've ridden a couple drz400's and they were nimble enough and had enough power on the street. On the freeway they sucked. Reaching top speed took so long. My friend has a ktm 690 and it's a blast to ride. I think the 690 might be what you need, where you can flick the throttle back and not get a wreckless driving ticket while having fun.

I've had A derbi 50cc, 4 600s (05 600r, 05r6, 05 636, 06 gsxr 600), 4 1000cc bikes ( 05 r1, 06gsxr 1000, 07 gsxr1000, 09 r1). 600s are a good starting point. They are nimble and have enough power to fit anyone's needs. Liter bikes are just plain fun (to me). Too much power for some, but it was like me having my Ferrari for only 13k

The derbi 50 was fun, but I felt so unsafe not being able to pass.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:34 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

I think the universally agreed-upon advice from seasoned riders is get a 250cc used Ninja... It should be a good start to learn, get down the basics, and gain some experience. Sell it afterwards without much (if any) loss of value. Then upgrade to the next step.

Or at least that's the advice I found when researching.

I don't have the balls to ride a motorcycle, though... I'm happy with my 9000 RPM four-wheeled vehicle instead.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:37 PM

Build a Honda or Suzuki Motard!
Old 11-07-2011, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryD
I think the universally agreed-upon advice from seasoned riders is get a 250cc used Ninja... It should be a good start to learn, get down the basics, and gain some experience. Sell it afterwards without much (if any) loss of value. Then upgrade to the next step.

Or at least that's the advice I found when researching.

I don't have the balls to ride a motorcycle, though... I'm happy with my 9000 RPM four-wheeled vehicle instead.
A ninja 250 is for those who have no understanding of the basics of a bike. People say get this and that, but it's the skill level and confidence of actually putting a crotch rocket between your legs. Either you have it or you don't. Riding hwy 9 i ran across a few afm riders asking me if i did track cus i kept up with them. I wanted to say that they werent that fast and i could probably smoke em with my eyes closed, lol its just if you have the balls to ride and dont second guess yourself youll probably be a good rider. I started on a 600 on day one and never looked back.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kaan already knows the basics of a bike, he doesn't need to 'learn'.

While I'm not a biker, I've looked into it and had this conversation with the billion bikers that used to hang out infront of my old job nightly. Anything between 600-700 is going to be fast enough to get you places and have a ton of fun, and not fast enough to scare the shit out of you and get you in trouble.

Though ultimately, the biggest risk on your bike (besides other drivers) is yourself. No matter the size of the engine, it's the responsibility of the rider that will keep you in or out of risk.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:16 PM

I decided to go w KTM 530 exc-r enduro bike (street legal) , majory of people use it as a motard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pQulQOwIpQ&NR=1
Old 11-07-2011, 09:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Some good advice here:

Originally Posted by rydelow
A ninja 250 is for those who have no understanding of the basics of a bike. People say get this and that, but it's the skill level and confidence of actually putting a crotch rocket between your legs. Either you have it or you don't. Riding hwy 9 i ran across a few afm riders asking me if i did track cus i kept up with them. I wanted to say that they werent that fast and i could probably smoke em with my eyes closed, lol its just if you have the balls to ride and dont second guess yourself youll probably be a good rider. I started on a 600 on day one and never looked back.
Keyword = "balls"

Originally Posted by whiteflash
Kaan already knows the basics of a bike, he doesn't need to 'learn'. While I'm not a biker, I've looked into it and had this conversation with the billion bikers that used to hang out infront of my old job nightly. Anything between 600-700 is going to be fast enough to get you places and have a ton of fun, and not fast enough to scare the shit out of you and get you in trouble.Though ultimately, the biggest risk on your bike (besides other drivers) is yourself. it's the responsibility of the rider that will keep you in or out of risk.
Key quote = "No matter the size of the engine, it's the responsibility of the rider that will keep you in or out of risk."
Old 11-08-2011, 12:41 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

1000cc is your requirement Kaan

Quick Reply: Bikers i got a question