California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Is this bike worth looking at?

Old 08-20-2009, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2020,Aug 20 2009, 11:19 AM
Camelback for road biking is akin to putting Mopar stickers on your import (or JDM stickers on your domestic). It's not "wrong". It's just traditionally not done. People will look at you funny.
Makes sense.. thanks!
Old 08-20-2009, 07:35 PM

I broke the pedal ...

Well.. it's not screwing in so at some point when the pedal came off the frame (the whole metal part--not the pedal you put your feet on.. the pedal.. neck? ) so now I'm going to take it in to the bike shop tomorrow to see if it can be another $2 fix.

Oh yeah, I was about 5 miles in to the ride. Nothing too harsh.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:47 AM

I only agree with fixies being cheaper. They are lighter only in the sense that when you have to carry them, as messengers do, they don't weigh as much. They are not lighter at all when you ride them. Challenging? Riding up Sierra Rd/Calaveras or going up Mt. Hamilton Rd is challenging on my 18-spd bike with 53x39 and 12-23T gearing.

IMO, fixies are a fad - but a good fad in that if you really do ride them, it will do your health some good. The rider determines how fast a bike can go... just ask Lance. A good rider on a fixie cannot go as fast and as long as a good rider on a road bike with many gears.

Espelir, the gear-skipping can be fixed with an adjustment of the rear derailleur's range. And you cannot test the shifting with the bike upside-down. The rear derailleur uses gravity especially when up-shifting to a smaller gear. The ad is gone so I cannot comment on the bike you are looking at. What components are on it?
Old 08-23-2009, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by espelirS2K,Aug 20 2009, 07:35 PM
I broke the pedal ...

Well.. it's not screwing in so at some point when the pedal came off the frame (the whole metal part--not the pedal you put your feet on.. the pedal.. neck? ) so now I'm going to take it in to the bike shop tomorrow to see if it can be another $2 fix.

Oh yeah, I was about 5 miles in to the ride. Nothing too harsh.
That's the crank! The right and left side pedals (and crank arms) are threaded differently so one threads clockwise while the other threads counterclockwise.

What cranks do you have on the bike? I still have my old Ultegra (Shimano 600) cranks from my old Vitus 992. They are 172.5mm in length. If you want them, they are yours. They are in very good working condition and are 53x39. I also have the downtube shifters they came with (8-speed rear).
Old 08-23-2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by damuho,Aug 23 2009, 11:54 AM
That's the crank! The right and left side pedals (and crank arms) are threaded differently so one threads clockwise while the other threads counterclockwise.

What cranks do you have on the bike? I still have my old Ultegra (Shimano 600) cranks from my old Vitus 992. They are 172.5mm in length. If you want them, they are yours. They are in very good working condition and are 53x39. I also have the downtube shifters they came with (8-speed rear).
Uhhh... I dunno what cranks I have . And all those numbers mean squat to me

Would it be hard to install them?
Old 08-23-2009, 11:44 AM

If you have a Shimano crank, the length is embossed behind the crankarm (they are 170, 172.5, 175 and sometimes, 180mm long). 53x39 are the number of teeth on the big (53) and small (39) chainrings.

I have all the tools for 7-, 8- and 9-speed Shimano systems. If it's some other brand or the newer 10-speed components, I don't know if I can help (the bottom bracket and cranks are matched for fit. With these tools, they are easy to install.

Can you post some pictures?
Old 08-23-2009, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by damuho,Aug 23 2009, 11:47 AM
They are lighter only in the sense that when you have to carry them, as messengers do, they don't weigh as much. They are not lighter at all when you ride them.
How can it be lighter when you carry it but not lighter when you ride it? Gravitational forces on my bikes only change with altitude... Let the tool fit the job at hand. I take the geared bike for climbing rides.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by jasonw,Aug 23 2009, 11:49 AM
How can it be lighter when you carry it but not lighter when you ride it? Gravitational forces on my bikes only change with altitude... Let the tool fit the job at hand. I take the geared bike for climbing rides.
Exactly. You will feel the weight of the bike when you climb because you are carrying its weight with you. That is why you climb with your geared bike. On roads that are generally flat, where you ride your fixie, it is not "lighter to ride" than your geared bike given the same gear ratio. If you have both bikes, this should not confuse you.

Gravitational forces DON'T change with altitude. Your bike weighs the same at any height. The difference is, when you are climbing, more of the bike's weight is going against your direction of motion. Oh, and when you are climbing at altitude, the bike will feel heavier because you have less oxygen available for your lungs.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by damuho,Aug 23 2009, 12:44 PM
If you have a Shimano crank, the length is embossed behind the crankarm (they are 170, 172.5, 175 and sometimes, 180mm long). 53x39 are the number of teeth on the big (53) and small (39) chainrings.

I have all the tools for 7-, 8- and 9-speed Shimano systems. If it's some other brand or the newer 10-speed components, I don't know if I can help (the bottom bracket and cranks are matched for fit. With these tools, they are easy to install.

Can you post some pictures?
It's a 170 crank, 52x42

Component set is Shimano RX100 14 speed (2 front, 7 back)

On the front gear ring it says in on place "Shimano SG" and in another RX100

Pics:

(I already modified it . New handlebar tape.. black instead of baby-blue/white, new seat: comfy black gel instead of stock white leather, and black water bottle/cage)
Old 08-23-2009, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by damuho,Aug 23 2009, 01:22 PM
Gravitational forces DON'T change with altitude.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_gravity#Altitude

Gravity decreases with altitude, since greater altitude means greater distance from the Earth's centre.

Also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_resistance

[I]In usual cases, the normal force on a single tire will be the mass of the object that the tires are supporting divided by the number of wheels, plus the mass of the wheel, times the gravitational acceleration (9.81 m

Quick Reply: Is this bike worth looking at?