California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Is this bike worth looking at?

Old 08-18-2009, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe the derailleur spring is wearing out, cables housing needs to be replaced, tension adjusted...

Or could be worn out chain and gears.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:50 PM

Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure it's at least 20 lbs, but you don't need to get too caught up over that.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by jasonw,Aug 18 2009, 08:44 PM
Maybe the derailleur spring is wearing out, cables housing needs to be replaced, tension adjusted...

Or could be worn out chain and gears.
I watched him adjust the tension and it would solve it for the gears at the bottom of the rear sprocket, but then it would go 5-7 instead of 5-6-7. Then when I got on it, I ran through all the gears just fine. One thing I noticed when I was at 1 (at the bottom.. maybe that's considered 7? haha i'm a bike n00b) on the rear sprocket, and then on the bottom on the front sprocket so the chain was like \ that across the side, it would rub on the guide. The guy said that's 'cause of the way the chain is bending they "all do that". But like I said, I'm so n00b I don't even know.

How much would it cost to change that stuff? Also, I plan on making this a learning bike. I'd like to change things out as I get better, before spending $900ish on a good bike. So I don't mind spending some coin over time (would like to get a carbon fork, carbon seat post, good pedals, seat) and so on. The frame I'm pretty happy with I think. But my main concern is it's good value for the money?

If I do end up getting it (which I'm about sure I will) I'd love to meet up with you and you can tell me everything that needs to be done Like I said.. I'm not afraid to replace stuff as I get better.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:15 PM

crossing your chain big front+big rear or small front small rear will almost always cause rubbing on the front derailleurs. you should not ride those combos
Old 08-19-2009, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by jasonw,Aug 18 2009, 01:37 PM
http://sheldonbrown.com/fixed.html

Adds variety to your workout. Lower maintenance commuter. Lighter, cheaper, more challenging...

If you ever wanted to go to the track (i.e hellyer velodrome) I think its required you have fixed gear + drop bars if you wanted to compete. I don't plan on competing but you honestly won't know why people ride fixed gear until you ride one. Maybe we can set up a bike meet where everyone can bring bikes (anything from bmx, mountain, road, fixed/single speed) You can ride my fixed gear and see if you like it. I find it more challenging and fun to ride than riding a road bike. But I do plan on getting one to commute around school when I transfer out of De Anza to a 4 year university.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by espelirS2K,Aug 18 2009, 09:00 PM
I watched him adjust the tension and it would solve it for the gears at the bottom of the rear sprocket, but then it would go 5-7 instead of 5-6-7. Then when I got on it, I ran through all the gears just fine. One thing I noticed when I was at 1 (at the bottom.. maybe that's considered 7? haha i'm a bike n00b) on the rear sprocket, and then on the bottom on the front sprocket so the chain was like \ that across the side, it would rub on the guide. The guy said that's 'cause of the way the chain is bending they "all do that". But like I said, I'm so n00b I don't even know.

How much would it cost to change that stuff? Also, I plan on making this a learning bike. I'd like to change things out as I get better, before spending $900ish on a good bike. So I don't mind spending some coin over time (would like to get a carbon fork, carbon seat post, good pedals, seat) and so on. The frame I'm pretty happy with I think. But my main concern is it's good value for the money?

If I do end up getting it (which I'm about sure I will) I'd love to meet up with you and you can tell me everything that needs to be done Like I said.. I'm not afraid to replace stuff as I get better.
Well it could be the cable housing, like I said. Otherwise, next bet would be worn chain and gears. Those parts will be at least $50-$80(plus tools/time).

If you want to do long rides, that bike will probably never be comfortable. Your best bet is keeping the tire pressure a little lower. For 10 to 20 miles, it probably won't matter.

I guess if you get good pedals+seat+wheels, you can transfer that to a better bike eventually. But it's better to avoid buying two bikes like most people. If you can save up more, just skip the learning bike altogether.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:51 PM

I would say buying a bike is a lot like buying a car. An older bike (mid-90's) with shifters on the frame is a radical concept to shifters nowadays that are on the handlebars, integrated with brake levers. It all depends on what you're looking for, a bike is an investment if you start getting serious about it.

If you're thinking about swapping out all the hardware within a year, it's better to just buy a used bike that has all the main components you want, plus usually a better built frame, and an overall better deal.

Your riding position, esp. on a road bike, is the important part. You're going to be riding for 2+ hrs eventually (if you start enjoying it) and riding with a bike not fitted for you is going to be painful, and un-motivating. Hope this helps.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:08 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

sounds like you may already have problem with your bike. As a beginner, this can be frustrating (or rewarding if you like to be a wrench monkey), and may turn you off bikes. I suggest spending a little more ($500) to get a nicer ride.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:23 PM

Am not, nor will be any time soon, to spend $500 on a bike. I picked it up today and so far I'm happy. I figured out why the chain was slipping.. due to my unfamiliarty with the shifters on the bike. They need a little "finessing" to get them in gear rather than just mindlessly shifting. This could be a fault or maybe just they way they are. Not sure, but I'm loving the bike so far. I'm going to adjust the handle bars to sit a little higher 'cause I'm a bit keeled over right now, and then I'll be set .

Went for a 1 block ride on my lunch break after picking the bike up and realized just how out of shape I was

Time to go buy a camelbak!
Old 08-19-2009, 04:33 PM

Camelbacks are for mountain bikes.

Water bottles are cheaper and it's better to not have things strapped to you. Plus you can put them in the dishwasher...

Quick Reply: Is this bike worth looking at?