California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Berkley

Old 07-11-2003, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ash
[B]1) Berkeley is still considered by many to be the "school of rejects" in that you go to berkeley if you didn't get into stanford, harvard, yale etc.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:48 PM
Ash

Ah, so because it's public, it must not be as good. Intelligent individuals are the ones who can get the same or more of out of a $4k/yr institution than a $20k/yr institution. Education is only what you make of it; if you cannot exhaust the opportunities and resources available to you, then it won't matter if you go to Oxford or your local JC.
Or "a dolla fifty in late chaages at ya public library" as Matt Damon put it.

Those are your own words... I'm not saying that at all. Do you believe that UCB is THE BEST education you can get for undergrad? or is it THE BEST PUBLIC education you can get for undergrad. What I'm saying is that by going to UCB, you aren't required to be "an intelligent individual," although some people are.

I think you also need to keep in mind that most rankings of universities weigh heavily on the grad school aspects and less on the undergrad.

PII said it best. Why would someone automatically assume that you "squeeked by?" Perhaps that would only apply to you or your friends.
Those are also your own assumptions. "Maybe squeeking by" wasn't something I or anyone hopefully assumes, it's just something that I see as something that COULD have happened. The assumption of "squeaking by" actually doesn't say anything or mean anything, granted that a university grades correctly allowing for the following givens:

1) in order to graduate, you must have a 2.0 gpa or higher
2) all grading is done on a bell shaped curve

This would mean that the AVERAGE of grade of a student is a 2.0-2.5 . This would potentially mean that a large portion of the students "squeek by."

A couple things on your comment about my friends:

1) I see no need for what I see as a thin personal attack here
2) Maybe it does... so what of it?
3) if it didn't apply to my friends to some extent, would I really have these views? I'm not saying that everyone that comes out of UCB is like this, I'm saying that by going to UCB, it doensn't EXCLUDE you from it.

If anything, graduating from an equivalent private school is just as hard if not easier than graduating from Cal.
I'm sure there is some truth to the "top 10" shirts that Cal engineering and other students wear that say snippets about not "buying their grades." You are a bit confusing in this line here... just as hard/if not easier? At least I believe I can be glad that you weren't an english major?

You better be ready to pay out of your *** for an MBA program. BTW, who is your father?
I have a little money set aside.....

1) My 2.5 years at JC and 2 years at CSU cost less than 1 year of UC ( and I managed to get just as little as possible of out that)
2) I have a working wife that went to UCB and she'll be my shuga momma

In general, it seems that you are misinterpreting many of my statements here.... please read through them again.

I'd rather not say specifically who my father is... but he's been a teacher in the Optomotry grad school for I think around 25 years now. For my school reports, he used to take me to the claustrophobic stacks and hunt around for research material.

At the same time that I believe that UCB has deteriorated in some of it's educational facilities... I still believe that it is an incredibly awesome environment... IB Hoagies/Top Dog/Raliegh's/Cheese n Stuff were all staples for a couples years.

But I'll make this statement... If money is not an issue, and my kid gets into Stanford and Cal, I'd encourage Stanford... granted.. I'll most likely have them go through public schooling up through highschool.
Old 07-12-2003, 06:51 AM
pll

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ash
[B]
Old 07-12-2003, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by pll

Gotta get me one of those
AHAHAHAHAH ME TOO!
Old 07-14-2003, 10:38 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WhiteS2k
[B]Yes it is.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:43 PM

Ah yes, Cal...my alma mater...always competing with COlumbia for the number one spot for the number of violent crimes committed on campus...sigh.

Actually, its not been that bad for awhile, but there may be some truth to the decline in the level of education at Cal and in California in general. It seems that we value it less and less. There is something to be said abou making it thru a grueling experience at Cal to get into the real world versus being hand held thru a private school. Each approach helps different people acheive their goals. The tough part is trying to figure out which type of school suits you best, and figuring out which school will help you acheive your goals the best.

Regardless of what school you go to, so long as you get what you want out of it and do well doing it, you will succeed int getting where you want to go. No guarantees that it will be easy regardless of where you go to school...gotta face the speedbumps yourself. Good luck!
Old 07-14-2003, 05:31 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by yu888
[B]Ah yes, Cal...my alma mater...always competing with COlumbia for the number one spot for the number of violent crimes committed on campus...sigh.

Actually, its not been that bad for awhile, but there may be some truth to the decline in the level of education at Cal and in California in general.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:42 PM

Screw Berk. Go to De Anza, spend money on getting an S2k ^_^.

Right guys?!!? RIGHT!?!?!!?!?!