California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Berkley

Old 07-09-2003, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do any of you here currently attend Berkeley University?

if you do i wanted to know how high on the SAT I you have have to score.

IM currently taking classes 5 days a week from 3-6 pm for SAT, and if I take advanced math courses next year if it would help me grealty.

IM still in highschool though
Old 07-09-2003, 01:04 PM

work on that verbal first
Old 07-09-2003, 01:13 PM

Ultimately though, just do your best and work hard, and you'll get in where you get in. Knowing the numbers will just stress you out
Old 07-09-2003, 01:39 PM

i'll be attending berkeley in the fall...

the UC's admit half their class based on #'s and 1/2 based on random crap (comm. service, if u grew up in compton, essay, etc.)

if you want to get in based on #'s you'll need a 4.5+ gpa (UC weighted), minimum 1400 on SAT 1, lots of advanced classes, and yea.

if you're school doenst offer AP classes/advanced classes/etc and therefore you can't get that high of a GPA, you're best bet would be to take a lot of community college classes and take the most advanced classes you can at your school...to show them you did everything you could.

basically, get the highest damn grades you can, 1400+ on your SAT, and a couple hundred comm. service hours.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:14 PM

I would say the first thing you should work on is the spelling of the university you want to attend -- the name is "Berkeley", not "Berkley" or "Berkely". And if you want to be picky about it, it is "University of California at Berkeley" or "UC Berkeley" for short. I think admissions officials tend to look down on applicants who cannot even spell the name of their school correctly -- shows a certain lack of respect towards the school.

Then, work on the things others have said: verbal skills, AP cources, extra curricular activities (community service, sports, music, ...), etc. And your SAT score will take care of itself.

GO BEARS!!!
Old 07-09-2003, 04:20 PM

Naw, my brother did admissions for Santa Clara university for a while, the readers dont care at all what you put down for the essay ^_^* They're half asleep when they read it. My brother spent about 1 minute total reading a single essay then just moved on.

Hope you know what you are getting into in going to Berk though, personally I HATE the place. Just really not my taste, I prefer something like Irvine or Davis, quiet town.

La Jolla (UCSD) isnt too bad either.

Taking classes at De Anza on the side helps like mad for college apps for Highschool kids because you'll have a ton of college units.
Old 07-09-2003, 05:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WhiteS2k
[B]I would say the first thing you should work on is the spelling of the university you want to attend -- the name is "Berkeley", not "Berkley" or "Berkely".
Old 07-09-2003, 06:45 PM

if you don't mind me asking.....what would your major(s) be?
Old 07-09-2003, 07:03 PM

I just finished my first year at Cal, and i probably be the one person that didn't get high SAT scores like Foof said.
What year in high school will you be in the fall?
If it is going to be your senior year, theres really not much you can do left.
But if you aren't, just work as hard as you can right now in your classes and the clubs or whatever are all pretty much useless unless you are a president, vp, treasurer, etc...community service helps somewhat, but from what i heard, Berkeley focuses on the essay portion more, along with UCLA, or so a friend says. The essay was probably what got me in, if you wanna know what my scores were, you can PM me and ask, ahahah its too embarassing to post it.

Like SuperDyu says, you'll get in where you get in, try ur best dont trip on numbers.

good luck

GO BEARS!
Old 07-10-2003, 12:18 AM

From personally experience, I think your extracurriculum (work experience, community service, clubs and sports) and personal statement are the most important because mostly everyone applying to Cal have high SAT's and high GPA's. So to separate you from others, you have to stand out. Hope that helps...

Quick Reply: Berkley