California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Bay Area Visit

Old 03-16-2003, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bay Area Visit

Hi,

My partner and I will be in the Bay Area for a few days this weekend. Anybody willing to put forward any recommendations for good and reasonably priced places to eat out?

I'm also keen to enquire what the prices are for a new S2000 in the Bay Area. Usually when you guys say sticker, do you mean on the road price (including all taxes etc)? We might be moving there (probably Palo Alto) in Summer 03 or 04.

What cars would you guys recommend if I've got abt US$30 to spend? I'm thinking of a Mustang or an Eclipse (both not available here in the UK).... and those would still leave me lots of change .... (GF likes the Corvette, but I think it's too expensive)

Any advice?

Regards,
TBC
Old 03-16-2003, 02:08 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Isabelle
[B]Hi,

My partner and I will be in the Bay Area for a few days this weekend. Anybody willing to put forward any recommendations for good and reasonably priced places to eat out?
Old 03-17-2003, 12:21 AM

for $30k USD, there's a broad range of cars that you can get. it really comes down to what type you have in mind, sports coupe, sedan, convertible?
Old 03-17-2003, 02:28 AM

Convertible, but with enuff space in the boot for the odd Costco run.

TBC
Old 03-17-2003, 07:39 AM
Ash

Personally I would say NOT to eat at Cheesecake factory... cuz 1) wait is too long 2) the food isn't really that good 3) if you want the cheesecake.. just pick it up and take it to go. Just IMO. I kinda lump PF Chang in with this same kinda place, or maybe Chef Chiu's on San Antonio/El Camino in Mountain View.

Depends on what you like and what your range of "reasonable" is. For meat and potatoes in Palo Alto you can try Sundance Mine Co, or drive a little further up to SF to hit up the House of Prime Rib, Houston's, Morton's or Ruth's Chris, all which happen to be on the pricey side($30-50+/person).

Reasonably priced you can hit up some Italian in Mountain View at Frankie Johnny and Luigi Too(should be about $10-15/person). A good pizza place would be Pizza Chicago in Palo Alto as well(usually under $25 for a pie). There's also Max's Opera House Cafe in Stanford Shopping Mall.

There are also a couple places to eat that are good if you just walk around the downtown Palo Alto University area... Gordon Bierch, Pizza My Heart, Miyake(college sushi type), and Taxi's for a decent burger.

Also the Castro area of Mountain View has some decent places if yer in the feeling for a bit more ethnic with some asian and middle eastern food. I say decent cuz usually when I go, I go for budget style and don't expect too much of the food.

Vegetarian and salad? don't ask me .....

All these places are Palo Alto centric as that's where I used to work and I still live in Menlo Park so I still frequent these places(well not the steak/potatoes places). If you want trendy-er dining, I hear that Straights Cafe is nice.. but I've never been there. I don't eat in Menlo Park much cuz it's pretty foo-foo-ey and I haven't really found many good $$/value places to eat.

Hope that helps on the food front....

and I'd say stick with the S2000 for a convertable... I make odd costco runs in mine... good enough for a couple flats of drinks, some snacks and some meat.... however ... yer gonna have to go solo for toilet paper or heavy duty stuff...
Old 03-17-2003, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chinese - R & G Lounge
Vietnamese - Hoi's
Cheap Indian - Shalimar
Expensive Indian - Gaylord's
Cheap Italian - US Restaurant, Gold Spike, North Beach Pizza
Expensive Italian - North Beach Restaurant
Jamaican - Cha Cha Chas
Cheap Japanese - Mifune, Kitaro, Tomokazu
Expensive Japanese - Blow Fish, Sushi Groove
Cheap Burger Joint - IN n' OUT