California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Bay Area Boy needs some help

Old 01-27-2013, 12:48 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by madmaxblaster
curious, but why did you get a fix it ticket for your exhaust?
99% noise violation. Must be <90db.
Sometimes cops arbitrarily give a ticket for "modified exhaust" interpreted as "anything other than stock" but the law, 27151, is pretty clear about what is legal and what isn't. The CHP near Bakersfield once got me for that interpretation and I showed him a printout of the law (which I used to keep in my old car) and then he showed me his little index card of violation/offenses, and the card basically said "modified exhaust" was an automatic ticket. Certainly a revenue builder, albeit small.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Originally Posted by madmaxblaster' timestamp='1359279293' post='22295681
curious, but why did you get a fix it ticket for your exhaust?
99% noise violation. Must be <90db.
Sometimes cops arbitrarily give a ticket for "modified exhaust" interpreted as "anything other than stock" but the law, 27151, is pretty clear about what is legal and what isn't. The CHP near Bakersfield once got me for that interpretation and I showed him a printout of the law (which I used to keep in my old car) and then he showed me his little index card of violation/offenses, and the card basically said "modified exhaust" was an automatic ticket. Certainly a revenue builder, albeit small.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27151.htm
"V C Section 27151 Modification of Exhaust Systems

Modification of Exhaust Systems

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment."

upto you op if you want to answer that question. personally i think it's personal business that doesn't need to be discussed on a public forum. i got an exhaust ticket 2 years ago for hitting 4k in 2nd gear. pretty sure it exceeded 100db
Old 01-27-2013, 01:05 AM

The noise test isn't a moving test. It's something like a rev in neitral up to a certain percentage of redline measured at a specific distance at a specific angle. One time I went to a police station with the exact text of the noise measurement and they did it completely wrong and still wrote off the ticket.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So I actually have a stock ap2 exhaust, sitting at a shop in richmond, that I don't have the means to pick up. If you'd like, I can contact my friend and see if you can pick it up. On a side note: He is/was in the process of moving locations, there's a chance he could have thrown it away, sold it, or did something else with it. It's sat there for the last 2.5 years.

If you're interested in driving all the way up to the albany/richmond border, I can ask for you.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by whiteflash
So I actually have a stock ap2 exhaust, sitting at a shop in richmond, that I don't have the means to pick up. If you'd like, I can contact my friend and see if you can pick it up. On a side note: He is/was in the process of moving locations, there's a chance he could have thrown it away, sold it, or did something else with it. It's sat there for the last 2.5 years.

If you're interested in driving all the way up to the albany/richmond border, I can ask for you.
Whiteflash, you are the man.
You saved my ass during smog time!

Again, Whiteflash...is...THE MAN!
Old 01-27-2013, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by eklipz98
Whiteflash, you are the man.
You saved my ass during smog time!

Again, Whiteflash...is...THE MAN!
Meh I'm a highly flawed being. But thank you, and you're welcome Casey.

OP: I realize Watsonville isn't all that close to Richmond, and that's a bit of a trek. But just PM me if you'd be willing to go out there, and I'll check to make sure it's still even there as there's a chance it could be M.I.A. now.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tkeyyy
Originally Posted by eklipz98' timestamp='1359280095' post='22295687
[quote name='madmaxblaster' timestamp='1359279293' post='22295681']curious, but why did you get a fix it ticket for your exhaust?
99% noise violation. Must be <90db. Sometimes cops arbitrarily give a ticket for "modified exhaust" interpreted as "anything other than stock" but the law, 27151, is pretty clear about what is legal and what isn't. The CHP near Bakersfield once got me for that interpretation and I showed him a printout of the law (which I used to keep in my old car) and then he showed me his little index card of violation/offenses, and the card basically said "modified exhaust" was an automatic ticket. Certainly a revenue builder, albeit small.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27151.htm"V C Section 27151 Modification of Exhaust SystemsModification of Exhaust Systems27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment."upto you op if you want to answer that question. personally i think it's personal business that doesn't need to be discussed on a public forum. i got an exhaust ticket 2 years ago for hitting 4k in 2nd gear. pretty sure it exceeded 100db
[/quote]

well i did get on it a lil not like craze got to about 5000 rpms when i was cresting a hill on my way to the gas station an the po stated that he didnt se anything an as i was leaving the gas station he was suppository waiting an then in turn pulled me over an gave me the citation for my exhaust.

Originally Posted by eklipz98' timestamp='1359294623' post='22295885
Whiteflash, you are the man. You saved my ass during smog time!Again, Whiteflash...is...THE MAN!
Meh I'm a highly flawed being. But thank you, and you're welcome Casey. OP: I realize Watsonville isn't all that close to Richmond, and that's a bit of a trek. But just PM me if you'd be willing to go out there, and I'll check to make sure it's still even there as there's a chance it could be M.I.A. now.
its kinda far do you think if he stl does have the exhaust we could meet half way possibly?
Old 01-28-2013, 12:42 AM

No, he definitely won't do that Just give me a PM if you can't line anything better up .
Old 01-28-2013, 08:52 PM

No, he definitely won't do that Just give me a PM if you can't line anything better up .
ok hopefully some one thats local could come through for me it would be super greatly appreciated my baby didn't deserve what she got frm the cops
Old 01-29-2013, 06:33 PM

bump for the night realy need some help anyone close could you please lend a hand