California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Bay Area biotech companies?

Old 05-22-2003, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bay Area biotech companies?

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if you guys could tell me the names of some biotech companies in the Bay Area. I know the bigger ones, i.e. Genentech, Applied Biosystems / Celera, Agilent, etc., but don't know too many of the smaller ones. If you know of any off the top of your head, please post 'em...

The context is that I'm looking for a new job, and would prefer for it to be related to biotech, so I'm trying to find some more companies to apply at. So, if you guys have any leads, that'd be awesome too. For reference, I have a BS in biochem, 2+ years C/C++ programming experience, and am currently working on a MBA. I'd prefer to get something in biotech, but it doesn't have to be a lab job...business, tech, and other stuff is okay too. I'm pretty much open to whatever fits my background.

Thanks a lot for any assistance.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:35 AM

I worked at Lynx Therapeutics in Hayward for 2 years before I got laid off. http://www.lynxgen.com
Not sure if they're hiring again although they seem to be doing much better lately. Stock went from 60 cents to over $4 in about a month!

Anyway Bioinformatics is still a hot field, so I'm sure you'll do OK somewhere.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.agyinc.com/index2.shtml
http://www.pdl.com/wt/sec.php3?page_name=jobs
Old 05-22-2003, 01:33 PM
wu

Try any of the Johnson & Johnson companies in the Bay Area. I used to work at Lifescan with abzug. Now I'm at Alza.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:45 PM

Thanks a lot for all the input so far, guys. Please keep 'em coming!

wu!, you're exactly where I hope to get. I've been keeping an eye on the J&J companies for a while, but so far haven't seen any matching positions. I interviewed once at Alza several years ago for a lab position, but at the time, decided to go into software instead. Now, things have changed, and I'd love to get into one of the J&J companies.

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks again Iceman, hyperpm, and wu!.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:11 PM
wu

cyber_x, I jumped into the pharma industry at the right time. I was in software for four years, got laid off from a dot-com in 2001.

I worked with Kelly Services in late 2001 and have been placed as a contractor in three companies by them since then.

I've found that contracting positions are easier to come by than full time positions. Right now, the J&J companies "supposedly" have a hiring freeze going on, yet I see quite a few positions open at my company:
https://opportunities.jnj.com/joblist.html

It's been much easier to get a position in a pharma company after getting my foot in the door at the first one. Good luck!
Old 05-22-2003, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by wu!

I've found that contracting positions are easier to come by than full time positions. Right now, the J&J companies "supposedly" have a hiring freeze going on, yet I see quite a few positions open at my company:
https://opportunities.jnj.com/joblist.html

It's been much easier to get a position in a pharma company after getting my foot in the door at the first one. Good luck!
Hi cyber_x,
yeah the J&J companies in the Bay Area are having a hiring freeze, but like Wu said, apply first as a contractor and then after some time, there is a strong possiblity of being hired as a regular. All in all, working for J&J is not bad. Good luck!
Old 05-22-2003, 04:25 PM
wu

[QUOTE]Originally posted by abzug
[B]

Hi cyber_x,