California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Bay Area Back Road Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 10:04 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Like Casey, I've yet to find a rider that could pull away in the Santa Cruz mountains, including the knee-scrapers. I'm sure there are riders out there crazy enough to ride faster, but I just haven't come across any yet. It's just so much easier and safer to exploit the capabilities of a car than a bike and so many of the roads don't have straights long enough to make up for the higher cornering speeds we end up carrying. I usually let them pass me and then watch them double-take in their mirrors when they can't shake loose.

Mac's friends sound scary, though. Anyone who hangs out with Mac is probably completely batshit.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thomsbrain,Oct 28 2010, 11:04 PM
Like Casey, I've yet to find a rider that could pull away in the Santa Cruz mountains, including the knee-scrapers. I'm sure there are riders out there crazy enough to ride faster, but I just haven't come across any yet. It's just so much easier and safer to exploit the capabilities of a car than a bike and so many of the roads don't have straights long enough to make up for the higher cornering speeds we end up carrying. I usually let them pass me and then watch them double-take in their mirrors when they can't shake loose.

Mac's friends sound scary, though. Anyone who hangs out with Mac is probably completely batshit.
When I had my bike, I wasn't able to find a car that could keep up with me , and I knew I wasn't the fastest bike on the mountain.

Mac and I had a R1 I think come up on behind us on one of the drives. He was quick. We had to pick up the pace to keep up with him. It was fun for me until I got separated due to traffic.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thomsbrain,Oct 28 2010, 11:04 PM
Anyone who hangs out with Mac is probably completely batshit.
I guess Sandy is also part of the Batshit crew

Old 10-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K,Oct 29 2010, 09:00 AM
Mac and I had a R1 I think come up on behind us on one of the drives. He was quick. We had to pick up the pace to keep up with him. It was fun for me until I got separated due to traffic.
I think he was just enjoying the show, pointed him by several times but he was happy following. It was definitely a quick pace and leading something like that can cook the brain.

Peter, I think you were there for that drive. That's when the other white S had some issues.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by thomsbrain,Oct 28 2010, 10:04 PM
Like Casey, I've yet to find a rider that could pull away in the Santa Cruz mountains, including the knee-scrapers. I'm sure there are riders out there crazy enough to ride faster, but I just haven't come across any yet.
I've lived in the Santa Cruz mountains for 21 of my 25 years of existence. As a kid, I grew up loving the sound and rush of the motorcycles passing my parents and I during our commutes. As soon as I got my DL, I made it my mission to keep up or out run them. Ive always taken a special notice to those riders/drivers who really know how to make the most of their vehicle. There are far too many sports cars in our hills that refuse to drive fast no matter how much I initiate.

Now, after ten years of daily driving our hills, I only seldom finding riders who can keep pace. Yes, they do exist, albeit rare. Most of them are leaning wayyy far over to accomplish it.

It used to be funny when I would keep up with the bikes and they would ask me if the turbo was upgraded on my NON-turbo Eclipse. I'm so happy to own an S2k which is an amazing improvement.

I'm probably close to the record for getting the least mileage in between tire changes due to my driving habits and living full time in the mountains.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is this Santa Cruz mountain road?
Old 10-29-2010, 03:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thomsbrain,Oct 28 2010, 10:04 PM
Now it makes sense why I like Mac so much*

*No homo
Old 10-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by whiteflash,Oct 29 2010, 04:59 PM
Now it makes sense why I like Mac so much*

*No homo
you going Sunday? I'll be there but carless so I'll be able to sit in and help you spin like me
Old 10-29-2010, 05:46 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by macr88,Oct 29 2010, 12:38 PM
Peter, I think you were there for that drive. That's when the other white S had some issues.
Yeah, I remember that drive. When we stopped for our "rest break" I remember it took Mac and Vu a LONG time to return back to the group. I shudder to think what the pace was like. People were like "those guys are crazy, this is what happens when people try to follow them."

Sandy is definitely batshit crazy... Mac is a lucky guy!

As for good roads in the SC area, feel free to PM me. I'm sure Casey has an even better mental map. I kinda stick to a favorite ~100 mile loop for most of my weekend drives.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hehe... batshit.

Here's to all the ladies that willingly ride along side crazy people.

Quick Reply: Bay Area Back Road Thread