California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Battery Relocation project

Old 05-18-2012, 11:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Battery Relocation project

Hi guys, I hardly posted when I was living up there, and even less now that I'm back in SLO. Just figured I'd post a few pics up of this battery relocation I'm doing. Not complete yet. But I think its coming along fairly well.

First, why...a lot of the weight I've removed from the car as been off the rear. I'd like to put a little more weight back there. Also, I went with a LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) battery since its twice the CCA of the completely dead PC680 it is replacing and 1/4 the weight. The thing that kills batteries is heat, and even more true with lithium, this battery apparently can handle being under the hood, but I'd rather be nice to it and keep it cool

Just the OE mounting hardware

My mounting hardware made out of square and angle aluminum stock and riveted together...some foam will be added when all the painting is done.

Mount with battery

and battery alone

Mounting it fairly close to center of car, just in front of where the spare tire mounts. Using rivet nuts to secure the battery mount to the chassis

and with the battery in there

more to come with all the wiring and finishing the painting in the trunk etc. Going to be using the OE positive battery cable mounted to a panel pass through connector, 2awg wiring and a 150amp ANL fuse.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That looks like 10 point mod right there.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
That looks like 10 point mod right there.
LMAO
Old 05-18-2012, 12:54 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Looks like you're doing a really clean job!

I do have to wonder about the value of moving a mere 4 pounds four feet rearward. I think you'd already be getting a lot of the benefit with just the battery swap alone. Those batteries are crazy light! I get the point of moving it away from heat, though.
Old 05-18-2012, 12:59 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Looks PRO
Old 05-18-2012, 02:30 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Pretty well done - your concept and execution is well thought out!

A+ for both effort and installation - I like it but for my daily driver don't think I will benefit the same way. Clearly your car is a track car with the roll cage and harness.

I actually went with a heavier larger Optima battery for a while before going back to the stock battery size.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good Eric, cant wait to see the details of the wiring. Question though; isnt there some kind of standard where when mounting a battery in the rear the typical build is to enclose the battery in container/casing that can resist the battery acids + contain the unit if its to catch on fire?
Old 05-18-2012, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by slightly2ned
Looks good Eric, cant wait to see the details of the wiring. Question though; isnt there some kind of standard where when mounting a battery in the rear the typical build is to enclose the battery in container/casing that can resist the battery acids + contain the unit if its to catch on fire?
I'd have to look at all the different organizations rules again...but the general rule is, drag racing is dumb and doesn't recognize that not all batteries are lead acid so they always require a box. Other types of racing generally recognize that a non lead acid type battery doesn't vent out hydrogen gas, thus don't need a box and only require that they be secured down.

Rick/Rob - thanks! And yea this isn't something that makes a whole lot of sense for a normal person
Old 06-02-2012, 09:09 PM

Finished the project up finally today, figured I'd post up the last pics today.

Covered car up to keep overspray off when painting inside the trunk area

Nearly every component to the entire relocation, only things missing are 1/2 roll of electrical tape, a battery post, and a few more misc bits of hardware...final total was probably really close to 8lbs

Just the wiring 2awg

Firewall pass-thru fitting, utilized the OE positive battery connection, this is where the battery post was screwed onto

Other side

The battery came with a bunch of self-adhesive foam that they suggest using when mounting the battery

It also came with pretty cool 90 degree posts with anti-rotation set screws

Here is the fuse holder and where I mounted it, using a 150a fuse, seems to be working just fine.

And finally some finished pictures

I still need a post cover for the positive side at the battery, but might be looking into building a sort of lexan cover for the whole thing. Anyway, things are VERY slowly coming together the way I want, and I'm pretty happy with the way this turned out...hope you guys like
Old 06-03-2012, 12:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice setup. And I like your cage. never really looked at it.

Quick Reply: Battery Relocation project