California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group
View Poll Results: August 11th, Golden Gate Fields Autocross!
Yes, I will be going and participating
62.50%
Yes, I will be going, but only watching
12.50%
I may be there, not sure yet
0%
No, I won't be there
25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

August 11th, Golden Gate Fields Autocross!

Old 07-27-2001, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

actually...there are 2 options for speed freakz....one option allows solo I and rally too
Old 07-27-2001, 12:24 AM

Cool... They should be able to fax you a temp card if needed
Old 07-30-2001, 05:44 PM

The San Francisco Region SCCA does require membership to compete. You can get membership forms online at www.scca.org and fax them in to get faster turn around. Ask them to fax back proof that you registered and that should be good enough to present at Registration for the event.

As far as Speed Freakz, I believe there is an under 25 age requirement for that (check the age, I'm not sure). It's a good deal if you qualify, I think membership is something like $25 instead of the normal $60 (yearly).

And remember that Golden Gate Fields is pretty rough on tires! Taping up the edge of your wheel wells is probably a good idea to protect from rock chips (GGF is pretty gravelly).

If you want faster autox courses and more runs for the same amount of money, go to AAS or Sacramento Chapter SCCA events at Mather Air Field in Sac. AAS schedule can be found at www.americanauto-x.com and the Sac Chapter page is linked off of www.sfrscca.org/solo2. Mather concrete offers much better grip and alot less tire wear than GGF.
Old 07-30-2001, 06:46 PM

I agree with the above post...GGF is VERY rough on tires...but don't worry about taping the wheel wells...I haven't had any problems with that and I've been sliding there at every autocross since March...

I need to look into that other american auto-cross thing...I can never get enough racing.
Old 08-01-2001, 04:17 PM

Hey Chris

I heard that you only got couple minutes driving when you go to an autox event. I guess that's not enough if that's the only place you can practice. So, where do you practice your driving skill? Empty Parking Lot? Which one?

Yee Man
Old 08-01-2001, 05:30 PM

um...where do I practice? well...hm...I could tell you but then I'd have to.... nm.

Actually, highway 9 runs and my recent Mount Hamilton trip are good ways to build up the courage to drive fast. But don't try to drift. I can show you what happens when drifting goes bad at the next autocross... haha. (my rim is scratched up, and front lip is slightly cracked...)

But anyways, you just go to autocrosses as often as possible and you gradually get better. I started going to autocrosses the instant I got my car, and have been to about 10, maybe a few more. I still consider myself a beginner and I have lots to learn. I don't do anything in empty parking lots, too risky.
Old 08-01-2001, 08:31 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dum Dum Head
[B]um...where do I practice?
Old 08-02-2001, 12:22 PM

Ok, the time is nearing, so lets all get ready.... I'm gonna post directions for those of you who don't know how to get there. I'm probably gonna show up around 10:30, but those of you going for the first run of the day, make sure you know when to be there(9:00, I think). See you all soon
Old 08-02-2001, 12:37 PM

http://www.ggfields.com/index_about.html
Old 08-02-2001, 01:15 PM

I'll be there about 8:00...maybe 8:30.

Quick Reply: August 11th, Golden Gate Fields Autocross!