California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Arrrmand

Old 02-07-2007, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jarod: yah, i actually took them knowing it's a tad underexposed so as to not blow out the headlights or the background...this was before i discovered hdr editing though, so maybe i can revisit them and play around. for hiro's car, i did some selective editing to make it seem a little bit more dreamy looking...you're actually the first person that has noticed or at least mentioned it. as for the iso200, if you're kidding, then damn you and your canon, but if not, then it's because my d70 can only go down to iso200

mac: lol your pics of my car seriously brightened my day. but this has been an idea of mine for a while to write this post up to help those who are curious.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by arrrmand,Feb 7 2007, 01:11 PM
jarod: yah, i actually took them knowing it's a tad underexposed so as to not blow out the headlights or the background...this was before i discovered hdr editing though, so maybe i can revisit them and play around. for hiro's car, i did some selective editing to make it seem a little bit more dreamy looking...you're actually the first person that has noticed or at least mentioned it. as for the iso200, if you're kidding, then damn you and your canon, but if not, then it's because my d70 can only go down to iso200

mac: lol your pics of my car seriously brightened my day. but this has been an idea of mine for a while to write this post up to help those who are curious.
What? The D70 goes to 200 only?? Canon's lowest is 100. I believe my 5D can go down to 50 with a hidden setting, but I heard it's interpolated so I leave it at 100.

The softblur on the white s2k looks like the softblur filter in Google's Picasa.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:42 PM

yeah, the d200 can go down to iso100 now, but unfortunately, the d70 only goes as low as 200. i've never had a problem with noise after some NR filters i found for photoshop
Old 02-07-2007, 12:43 PM

stickie it!!! great job Jeff..
Old 02-07-2007, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice jeff ill have to read this when i have some time...cough cough when my win video $$$$$$ download freezes up
Old 02-07-2007, 01:10 PM

it looks like the avatar you have was taken under heavy yellow lighting and could use a white balance adjustment
Old 02-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by arrrmand,Feb 7 2007, 01:11 PM
Excellent, I'll let Sandy know.. She takes them and I edit them which consists mainly of cropping, exposing and a bit of sharpening.

I like your write up with the examples. Great job..

do you have a monitor calibrator or do you use the adobe one?
Old 02-07-2007, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by arrrmand,Feb 7 2007, 12:47 PM
a good rule of thumb after a day/session of shooting is to reset your settings to the 'status quo' so as to be prepared for the next round of shooting.

i set it back to iso200, lowest aperture, no exposure compensation, standard white balance, and aperture priority
Yeah, I usually do two resets when I first fire up the camera - 1) the one to get back to the normal/base camera settings and 2) another reset to wipe the memory card as well. I forgot to do the camera settings that one time. Plus I was shooting on a tripod with remote so I wasn't paying much attention to anything other than the aperture for some reason.

My settings are base settings are basically the same as yours except I have ISO100.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by jarod,Feb 7 2007, 12:43 PM
After you've been shooting for awhile you won't have problems with accidentally setting the ISO too high. Just look at the aperture and shutter speed. With experience you'll be able to notice shutter speeds that are too high for a particular aperture or an aperture too wide for a particular shutter speed given the conditions.
I should have noticed...but I was too excited with the new car.

Actually, I kind of did notice, but I didn't put it all together in my mind until after I got home. The whole time I was wondering why the shutter times seemed fast, but I guess I had quite a brain fart going until too late...
Old 02-07-2007, 09:51 PM

mac: nope, just make sure i have a proper color profile while editing pics in photoshop...never calibrated my monitor, but i think i did fiddle with it heavily when i first got it

Quick Reply: Arrrmand