California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Anyone work for Genentech?

Old 10-25-2006, 03:59 PM

Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks for the responses.

I worked for Genzyme for almost 18 years. It's a great place but also a political one.

I am currently at a biotech start up and having a blast but you never know if they will get to the finish line.

Genentech owns the finish line.

How about places to live?

Is Palo Alto all it is cracked up to be?
Old 10-25-2006, 04:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My neighbor who used to work for UCSF now works for them and says she likes her job.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 73Zero,Oct 25 2006, 03:09 PM
I've been working at Genentech for close to a year now. Compared to some of the other places I've worked at (Electronic Arts and Applied Biosystems, to name a few), this place just ROCKS! They really seem to care about their employees, and the benefits are excellent. I do agree about the "politics" here...but you gotta think that there's politics at practically every workplace out there. Again, comparing the politics (I've witnessed at other places) against what I've seen here, I think I've chosen the lesser of two evils.

Every job has politics. I have a good friend that works there and he told me the benefits are awesome. Just a few weeks ago they had Black Eyed Peas and another group perform at their celebration thingy.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by AsianQing,Oct 25 2006, 08:35 PM

Every job has politics. I have a good friend that works there and he told me the benefits are awesome. Just a few weeks ago they had Black Eyed Peas and another group perform at their celebration thingy.
The Anniversary Celebration was a BLAST...it was trippy seeing practically EVERY Genentech employee on site (over 10,000 people)...plus, it was nice being able to be "excused" from work on a Monday, and fed lots of good food and booze at noontime...hahaha...

The performers we had (in order) were:

#1 The Foo Fighters (These guys ROCK!! Dave Grohl was absolutely hilarious and very friendly to the crowd)
#2 Bob Dylan (We couldn't understand a DAMNED word he sang.)
#3 The Black Eyed Peas (They were off the hook! And they were also very crowd friendly.)
#4 The Eagles (I didn't stay for this...)
Old 10-26-2006, 02:50 AM

Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

The recruiter made a point of talking about the celebration to get at how cool they are and the things they can do because of their size.

My kids were in shock when I told them.

I will give Dylan a pass because he has been photographed in an S2000, though I don't know if he drives one.

I heard the Eagles were the headliners (who made that call?).
Old 10-26-2006, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by clutchcargo,Oct 26 2006, 03:50 AM
I heard the Eagles were the headliners (who made that call?).
Dunno...the rumors were floating around for weeks as to who would be performing that day...the strongest of the rumors was that U2 was going to play...now THAT I would've stayed for!
Old 10-26-2006, 05:01 PM

I met a trio of chix at BridgeSchool from JenenTech. They were pretty hot and seems like they gotta good culture going on there!!

BUT LET ME WARN YOU! If you are not from around here you might not know this but... the bay area has the highest number of single men to women in the US (including alaska).
Old 10-27-2006, 08:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy crap, so many Biotech pplz here! I work at Bayer, but my dream was and is Genentech. Got interviewed there TWICE but with no luck From what I hear, its the king of benefits (backed up with rankings in Forbes magazine) and its where most biotech ppl dreams of working for.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lice Locket,Oct 27 2006, 09:48 PM
Holy crap, so many Biotech pplz here! I work at Bayer, but my dream was and is Genentech. Got interviewed there TWICE but with no luck From what I hear, its the king of benefits (backed up with rankings in Forbes magazine) and its where most biotech ppl dreams of working for.
The interview process IS pretty nuts here...but just keep trying and also look into alternate routes into the company. I did phone interview after phone interview, with no luck. Finally, I applied through a temp agency (TechLink), and they got me in Temp-to-Perm. After a few months, I finally got the job permanently.

As far as benefits are concerned, yes, they are ONE of the best companies out there. But believe it or not, I have a friend who works with me, and he tells me that Amgen's benefits are MUCH better...he'd know, as he used to work there. He tells me that the only reason he left Amgen to come to Genentech was because they offered him a much higher salary.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:48 AM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I would say Amgen's benefits are not much better. Seems to be more inline with the rest of the industry these days. They have changed their medical benefits.