California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Anyone running a turbo on stock engine?

Old 01-17-2013, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2_PHENOMENON
Currently running a stock AP2 motor with my Custom Blacktrax Turbo set-up.Currently making 442hp/314tq. Thanks Jei, Aki, & Nat!

WOW nice numbers thats what I am aiming for 350 to 400whp conservative don't want too much stress on the motor. How many miles have you put on the s2k with that setup?
Old 01-17-2013, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by tbkonwso
the s2k motor flows pretty well. small turbo , good manifold , good fuel setup and capable tuner and you got your self a great little turbo car.

i wouldn't turbo the s2k, cause its perfect and balanced the way it is.
I know what you mean, I am stuck debating wether to go NA or Turbo atm. But if I go NA I am still going to mod it either way so just browsing on here trying to figure out which route to go before I start dumping money.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by dagle
once a blue moon ago

03 stock OEM F20C1 +3mm headgasket(dunno if that still counts as stock, but IMO its harder to make power with the 3mm than it is with a 100% stock motor anyways lol)
InlinePRO log manifold + GT3076R at ~16PSI
436whp + 275ft/lb torque

With current stuff available that weren't available a few years ago, I would imagine that you could run close to 500whp safely now on pump gas as far as your motor is concerned, but tranny and diff would need reinforcement if you plan to run it hard. Possibly more with meth injection if you really wanted to push the envelop.
Nice numbers!! I like the GT30's great turbo for 4 cylinder engines, my goal is to go on the conservative side I don't want to blow the motor. How many miles did you put on the S with that setup? any problems?
Old 01-17-2013, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by SpiralF20
Originally Posted by tbkonwso' timestamp='1358461920' post='22274144
the s2k motor flows pretty well. small turbo , good manifold , good fuel setup and capable tuner and you got your self a great little turbo car.

i wouldn't turbo the s2k, cause its perfect and balanced the way it is.
I know what you mean, I am stuck debating wether to go NA or Turbo atm. But if I go NA I am still going to mod it either way so just browsing on here trying to figure out which route to go before I start dumping money.
depends if you want noticeable performance gains or not, FI is the way to go if you want power. i wouldnt bother with NA mods, you won't gain much.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by SpiralF20
Originally Posted by S2_PHENOMENON' timestamp='1358449925' post='22273654
Currently running a stock AP2 motor with my Custom Blacktrax Turbo set-up.Currently making 442hp/314tq. Thanks Jei, Aki, & Nat!

WOW nice numbers thats what I am aiming for 350 to 400whp conservative don't want too much stress on the motor. How many miles have you put on the s2k with that setup?

My first set-up was a UR base set-up and was running about 290hp. I probably put about 5-7k in miles (including 2 track days) before I decided to go all out.

My current set-up I have been running for about 13-15K in miles (including 4 track days). so all in all the motor has seen about 20K in miles under forced induction.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just be sure you do all your research and proper supporting mods. Too many people will tell you it's fine yet they've blown a motor along the way trying to make it work.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:20 PM

Name:  9-9-11dynoaemexhaust.png
Views: 5808
Size:  211.0 KB
Old 01-17-2013, 09:40 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I bought the car with the setup on there already for over 15k, I put ~10k on it myself with a lot of kills lol... felt great and the plugs looked normal. Would have had no issues running it further but I sold it to a friend and it met its demise shortly after. There really is no reliability issue as far as the motors concerned, just make sure you take it to a competent tuner with a good EMS and wideband O2 sensor. I would also highly advise sending the final tune to other well-known tuners for a second opinion on optimal safety/power.

The achilles' heel will be your differential and your transmission's 2nd gear.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by S2_PHENOMENON
Originally Posted by SpiralF20' timestamp='1358461990' post='22274149
[quote name='S2_PHENOMENON' timestamp='1358449925' post='22273654']

My first set-up was a UR base set-up and was running about 290hp. I probably put about 5-7k in miles (including 2 track days) before I decided to go all out.

My current set-up I have been running for about 13-15K in miles (including 4 track days). so all in all the motor has seen about 20K in miles under forced induction.
[/quote]

Well I figured if I find a cheap ap1 for around 10k or less with high miles, I'm just gonna re-build the motor with low comp pistons and do some internal work possibly head work and slap a gt35r on, but if I get a low mile ap2 then def gonna need a damn good tuner to make it as conservative as possible. I don't want to blow a low mileage motor. I am going on sunday to check out an ap2 if I decide to purchase it I'm gonna start looking for some turbos.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by dagle
I bought the car with the setup on there already for over 15k, I put ~10k on it myself with a lot of kills lol... felt great and the plugs looked normal. Would have had no issues running it further but I sold it to a friend and it met its demise shortly after. There really is no reliability issue as far as the motors concerned, just make sure you take it to a competent tuner with a good EMS and wideband O2 sensor. I would also highly advise sending the final tune to other well-known tuners for a second opinion on optimal safety/power.

The achilles' heel will be your differential and your transmission's 2nd gear.
I don't plan to beat on it all the time especially with my clean driving record want to keep it that way, damn cops always used to write me tickets for speed in my S lol. Hopefully I don't run into any diff or transmission problems thats the last thing I want.

Quick Reply: Anyone running a turbo on stock engine?