California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Anyone ready for Speed SF Time Attack 3/16/14?

Old 03-20-2014, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good videos Andrew. Very nice production quality for an in car video..
Old 03-20-2014, 09:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Andrews go pro videos look and sound the cleanest.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TougeHorseman
Yea I was impressed. By comparison, my go pro videos look like shit. Tons of rolling shutter, bad exposure, vibration. I wonder what the deal is. I have the modify windscreen mount which seems really secure but I wonder if my camera is just too old. I have the Hero 2. Oh well
Old 03-21-2014, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by andrewhake
I had an absolute blast on Sunday because of the Honda Tuning Cup. I have very little motivation to go to a 100 degree Thunderhill track day, but if there was going to be a HT Cup event I would go for sure. I think the advanced group wasn't really dramatically different from Saturday to Sunday so maybe it was pretty different for the other run groups?

There were definitely cars/drivers that shouldn't have been participating in the HT Cup and the qualifying time should definitely be more strict I think, but no biggie. Elton, the guy from Raceline that was organizing was getting a bit frustrated with many of the SoCal attendees after seeing how organized and well behaved the NorCal people were.

The SpeedSF team is getting pretty good at organizing the Time Attack session. Very efficient this time around. :thumb up: They should have made sure the person releasing the cars was leaving a gap though, but no big deal.

Here is my video of the HT Cup, I should get some other good stuff posted up tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WPyBcqyVhk&hd=1

Just curious, what is that you have mounted on the windshield? Looks like an iphone ......
Old 03-21-2014, 07:25 AM

Pretty sure it's some type of lap timer.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:10 PM

i enjoyed myself. had a great weekend driving with SpeedSF & Raceline USA HT Cup on Sunday.

my video from sundays 5 lap battle
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E62Um1JqEro[/media]
Old 03-23-2014, 07:02 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for the video, Andrew! Good to see what someone is doing who is a bit better than me and has a similar setup.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:46 PM

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by oregoncurtis
Pretty sure it's some type of lap timer.
Yep. It's a Qstarz laptimer.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylvan
Yea I was impressed. By comparison, my go pro videos look like shit. Tons of rolling shutter, bad exposure, vibration. I wonder what the deal is. I have the modify windscreen mount which seems really secure but I wonder if my camera is just too old. I have the Hero 2. Oh well
You have to really make sure that secret compartment isn't loose, and pad it with something. Although the Modifry is solid, the secret compartment lid is not. You are better off with a suction cup camera mount unless you find a way to tighten or otherwise prevent the secret compartment door from flopping around. Its possible to use little adhesive padding to get it more rigid.

Not a bad idea to step it up to a Hero3+ Black Edition to compensate for whatever quality problems you are having as well!
Old 03-24-2014, 04:57 PM

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylvan' timestamp='1395407725' post='23073954
You have to really make sure that secret compartment isn't loose, and pad it with something. Although the Modifry is solid, the secret compartment lid is not. You are better off with a suction cup camera mount unless you find a way to tighten or otherwise prevent the secret compartment door from flopping around. Its possible to use little adhesive padding to get it more rigid.

Not a bad idea to step it up to a Hero3+ Black Edition to compensate for whatever quality problems you are having as well!
Yeah this is something I didn't mention I guess. I have strategically placed adhesive foam pieces to minimize the rattle and things you get from the secret compartment and glove box lid. I could still make it more secure though. One simple trick I learned is using a microfiber cloth. You can sort of lay it over the latching mechanisms and just close the the lids. They will be pretty secure that way. The lighter hero 3 actually helps quite a bit too compared to the Hero 2 I noticed, but basically anything you can do to stabilize the top lid will help a lot. I could never get any usable sound with the Hero 2 and Modifry mount, the frame housing on the Hero 3 is a massive improvement for sure.

Quick Reply: Anyone ready for Speed SF Time Attack 3/16/14?