California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Anyone need Nitrogen air?

Old 12-26-2006, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone need Nitrogen air?

Just got my nitrogen generator here in my shop, if anyone need nitrogen for your tires, let me know.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i sure hope you guys don't use those nasty lime green valve caps like Costco when pumping nitro....talk about eyesores. lol
Old 12-26-2006, 04:07 PM

hoho, we don't we just get you the air, no caps haha
Old 12-26-2006, 06:54 PM

Supernoob question:

is it really that much better for your car to get nitrogen in your tires?
Old 12-26-2006, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tetsuei,Dec 26 2006, 07:54 PM
Supernoob question:

is it really that much better for your car to get nitrogen in your tires?
There will be no moisture in the tire and loses pressure more slowly. So therefore not interior tire oxidation (rotting). I also believe it doesn't transfer heat easier than regular air.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you go to the UTH section, they'll tell you its really no different from getting regular air pumped into your tires since regular air is already 75% nitrogen. well... i guess its more like theres no significant difference if you're using ur car just as a daily driver, it only matters if you're racing on the track
Old 12-26-2006, 07:07 PM

This topic has been debated many times on many forums. I personally don't see any benefit for track use, but I can see some for daily driver as nitrogen tends not to leak out of the tires over time as much as regular air, so you are more likely to be driving with the proper pressure.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by shotiable,Dec 26 2006, 08:07 PM
well... i guess its more like theres no significant difference if you're using ur car just as a daily driver, it only matters if you're racing on the track
Other way around.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:09 PM

you need to have dual valve stems on a wheel if you plan to switch from nitrogen to oxygen and vice versa.... nitrogen is heavier than regular oxygen and they dont mix. so when pumping nitrogen on bottom stem, oxygen must be bled on top stem.

for track, it helps on constant tire pressure since nitrogen doesnt expand as quickly as oxygen and it cools down the tires which in most cases not good for tires that need to be heat cycled to grip. Basically, there are PROs and CONs when using Nitrogen for track use.

so as Vu said, it's good for maintaining constant tire pressure on daily driving and not as advantageous on track use.

it's good to use nitrogen on big trucks and trailers that haul heavy loads to prevent the tire from heating up under load.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by s2kennmark,Dec 26 2006, 09:09 PM
you need to have dual valve stems on a wheel if you plan to switch from nitrogen to oxygen and vice versa.... nitrogen is heavier than regular oxygen and they dont mix. so when pumping nitrogen on bottom stem, oxygen must be bled on top stem.

for track, it helps on constant tire pressure since nitrogen doesnt expand as quickly as oxygen and it cools down the tires which in most cases not good for tires that need to be heat cycled to grip.

so as Vu said, it's good for maintaining constant tire pressure on daily driving and not as advantageous on track use.

it's good to use nitrogen on big trucks and trailers that haul heavy loads to prevent the tire from heating up under load.
Ken,

What wheels come w/ dual valve stems?

Quick Reply: Anyone need Nitrogen air?