California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Anyone gotten 100+ tickets before?

Old 05-08-2004, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone gotten 100+ tickets before?

Has anyone gotten a 100+ ticket before in California? I just got one out on the I-5 near Bakersfield.

I understand that the court has the power to suspend your license for up to 30 days for a single infraction of 100+. Does anyone know how this is done? For example, how does the judge decide whether to suspend you? If the judgment includes license suspension, is it immediate, or will it require additional hearings with the DMV? Would I need to get a friend to drive me to court just in case I walk out of the court with my license suspended?

I also read in other threads that some people were able to do Trial by Declaration for a 100+ ticket. How this is done? This court is telling me that I have a mandatory court appearance, and it doesn't seem like a Trial by Declaration is allowed.

I guess I'm just preparing for the worst. Thanks for any insights!
Old 05-08-2004, 09:15 AM

Sorry that I'm not able to help you out, Gary. I've never been caught going 100+ mph.

I hope you'll be able to keep your license, though. *pat pat*
Old 05-08-2004, 09:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got caught 114 in Kern County near Stockdale. I had to go to court in Taft. That's where they catch speeders the most. Haha , I didn't see this when I was speeding through, but when I went to court there is this big ass sign on the side of the freeway both directions when entering the county that says like 1000 licenses taken here last year or some shiet. Be prepared, if you show up (which you will have to), you're going to leave your house around 3:30am or so.

Trial by Declaration is not allowed; your appearance or representation of your appearance is mandatory.

If the judge suspends your license, it will not take effect immediately. There is a clause in the CVC that gives you time to drive home before your license suspension takes effect that I am too lazy to find for you and if you are too lazy to look it up the court clerk can answer this for you. Even then if you get pulled over, when the cop looks up your license, it will still be listed as active. The suspension paperwork takes anywhere from a week to 2 weeks to process to go into the DMV.

Whether or not the judge will suspend you is entirely up to him. My judge did not decide to suspend my license, but he gave me the full fine of $500, which comes out to about $1724 after all of the other penalties involved.
Old 05-08-2004, 10:13 AM

Old 05-08-2004, 11:40 AM

My friend got caught over 120mph on I-5
lisence suspend 6 months
Old 05-08-2004, 12:15 PM

haha, at first I thought you asked if anyone has ever gotten over a 100 tickets in their lifetime.

But anyway, sorry to hear about your ticket, and I hope everything goes well. As a word of advice, I got a exhibition of speed ticket that was also a mandatory appearance (because both are actually misdemeanor, not infraction, counts), and I hired a lawyer to represent me. He was able to have the exhibition charge removed because I pleaded down to a lower charge.

My lawyer charged me $1500 because I had gave him very short notice (1 week), but most lawyers should charge you considerably less than that, and also in Dong's case, it ended up being over $17-hun anyway, so I think it might be worth looking into.

Anyway, I think you should try looking into getting a lawyer to represent you, most counties have a lawyer refferal program, so you might want to call the county you got your ticket in, and see if they have one.

Good luck!
Old 05-08-2004, 12:49 PM
ttb

the suspended license, does that allow you to still drive to work?
Old 05-08-2004, 01:23 PM

Negative, to drive to work or school, you have to get the DMV to give you a restricted license.
Old 05-08-2004, 03:34 PM

Sorry to hear about the ticket Gary Hope things work out in the end.
Old 05-08-2004, 03:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ishy
haha, at first I thought you asked if anyone has ever gotten over a 100 tickets in their lifetime.

Quick Reply: Anyone gotten 100+ tickets before?