California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Anyone familiar with Yosemite? Need Help....

Old 08-14-2002, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone familiar with Yosemite? Need Help....

I have some relatives in town, and they would like to go take a trip to Yosemite... I have never been there, and I understand that during Summer it is packed with tourists, and therefore I would appreciate anyone's suggestions on where to stay (hotel close-by, etc..), what trails to do, what to see, etc...

Thanks in advance for your guidance!
Old 08-14-2002, 12:55 PM

Yosemite is a fairly large park and there are several areas that you can visit and stay. The Yosemite Valley is the area most folks visit, with its towering granite shear walls, and amazing water falls. While that area tends to be packed with tourists, it is still a place that I would take visiting guests b/c that is such a memorable place to visit. Must see sights in the valley include Yosemite Falls (upper and lower from the valley)and Bridal Veil Falls. You should visit the Ahwahnee Hotel to see a grand wilderness hotel.

Heading South from the Valley, you should take visitors to Glacier Point which oversees the entire valley. It is quite a sight to behold.

In the south end of the park, there is a large grove of Giant Sequoias that I always take visitors to see as well. The Mariposa Grove is located near the South entrance of the park. It is definitely a sight to see, but if you are limited in time, go early in the AM b/c there is limited parking. Otherwise, a shuttle service from the small community of Wawona can bring yo from the parking lot in Wawona to Mariposa Grove.

Places to stay: Yoseite Lodge and Curry Camp are located in the valley and offer cabins, hotel rooms, tents and various campgrounds.

If you want more luxurious digs, the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite Valley or the Wawona Hotel in Wawona (still inside park) are good, but likely crowded. A less known option for families and such is to rent a house in the Wawona area (about 45-60 min from the Valley, but still within the park ) Cabins and houses are available for 3-night minimums in Summer.

If you choose to stay outside the park, Oakhurst Lodge in Oakhurst is one of my favorites. the town is a nice foothill town with movie theaters, supermarket, and shopping center, and is only about 20 mins to the South Entrance.

Feel free to email/PM me if you need more info. I go to Yosemite every year, and my wife an I have gone twice just in the past 6 mos! (you could say that we kinda like the place) I still havent done all that I want to do and see, but I will be happy to help introduce some ideas to you if you need them.
Old 08-14-2002, 01:08 PM

yu888;

Thank you very much for the valuable input.

The Yosemite View Lodge have rooms available, so we will most likely stay there. The plan is to get there Sunday night, and start our excursion around 7:00 am Monday morning to beat the crowd.

Thanks again!
Old 08-14-2002, 03:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The Tenaya Lodge just outside the park is extremely nice or at least it was about 10 years ago when I was there. But Yu888 has given you plenty of very sage advice.
Old 08-14-2002, 11:41 PM

Tenaya Lodge is great too! Totally forgot about it, I always drive by that entrance so fast on the wonderfully curvy road from Oakhurst into the park. I once had to follow a black Ford Econoline van up that road and it was hauling ass around those s-curves! It wasnt until we got to the gate that I realised it was a govt vehicle and the dirver probably made that same drive daily for park business!

Arriving Sunday night is a great idea! Alot less people on weekdays. A couple of tips...
1) Visit Mariposa Grove in the morning as it is less crowded overall,
2) Visit Glacier Point in the afternoon as the sun in the west will give you some great lighting for views off to the east frome the point of Half Dome and Nevada and Vernal Falls.
3) Tour the valley at several different times to see & experience different views. Morning lighting is great for photos.

have fun!
Old 08-15-2002, 08:39 AM

if you come out to lunch today....ill have a friend there u can talk to..he just came back from yosemite over the weekend...
Old 08-15-2002, 09:59 AM

Wont be able to make lunch today, but thanks to all of you for the help. I have lived here 8 years now, and never made it to Yosemite, so I am really looking forward to it.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:21 PM

I had heard that they were considering restricting cars going into Yosemite valley. It's been a few years since I've been there, but I plan to drive there in three weeks and would like to spend an hour or two there, then make the run through the park to the east side and up over the pass.

I take it from the comments so far that I'll still be able to get in as long as I don't expect to stay in the park.
Old 08-15-2002, 03:16 PM

When Daryl and I did a little road trip around 3 years ago, we didn't know what dates we would be where, so we just dropped in at the Ahwahnee Hotel, and got lucky waiting to see if everyone showed up for their reservations. We got a room and stayed for two days, and had a great time exploring the valley. The only things that would have made it better would have been having the S2000, and if the valley was greener (drought conditions, waterfalls were 'off').

Ed and others have covered most of the highlights. Be sure to drive up to the valley overlook.

Have fun,

Ted
Old 08-15-2002, 03:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ahhh....Yosemite is one of my favorite places in the world. I go every year. Great suggestions so far. I second the vote for Glacier Point. The view from there is one of the most incredible things you will ever see in your life. You will never forget it.

A couple of cool places not mentioned above:

Tuolomne Meadows. It's a beautiful place. You can take a 1 1/2 hour hike up to the top of Lambert Dome there. It's spectacular.

Olmstead Point ranks high on my list of favorites there, too. Great view.

Lake Tenaya is just beautiful. It's a great place to stop and picnic.

Are you looking to go on any hikes? I can recommend some good ones if you are interested.