California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Anyone Else Noticing This Trend?

Old 11-28-2011, 01:38 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm no expert on electric cars but I have driven a few of Tesla's cars and they are amazing and even un-canny in how it runs if you are not used to it. Just the fact to be able to drive in almost "slient" mode is something that has to be experienced Maybe I'm just getting old but I like quiet when I'm not racing around by myself!

I find it odd to be discussing hybrids on an s2000 forum but a while back someone pointed me to the Prius forum and I discovered this new term called "hypermiling" which in itself is a crazy term. Go read up on it and you'd be shocked what some guys do to gain an extra MPG. Since most people here own s2000's my hunch is we are not hypermilers "yet".

My 2 cents in advice in a recent debate over hybrids and MPG is these are still the most effective:

a) Move closer to your work or wherever you frequent - there was a guy who sold his house in Merced and moved into a mobile home to be near his kids in San Jose)

b) Buy a motorcycle (2-3 gallons = 140 miles+ easy)

c) Carpool with a co-worker or friend to and split gas costs

d) Bike to work (many of my associates do this)

Those 4 options above would be the EASIEST way to save money and still have a sports car in the garage or even an H2 (talk about gas guzzler)

As for all this talk about buying a hybrid Escalade or Prius - I think my next car will most likely be a Mercedes Diesel just for the sheer torque and amazing range

rick
Old 11-29-2011, 11:59 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Rick
It's not so much about getting better mileage in our current cars or making any 'changes' personally. My thoughts were more on the direction of the non-sport car class of vehicles.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
Even tho you can get good MPG out of a bike (my bike averaged 35 mpg) they have really bad emissions.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianZ
Originally Posted by s4play' timestamp='1322519887' post='21191903
Even tho you can get good MPG out of a bike (my bike averaged 35 mpg) they have really bad emissions.
Mythbusters did some test that was similar to this. I forget which episode.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:15 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Rick
It's not so much about getting better mileage in our current cars or making any 'changes' personally. My thoughts were more on the direction of the non-sport car class of vehicles.
Oops my bad...hehehe!

I was at SR the other night to meet a client and noticed Tesla has their new 4-seater car in their showroom so that means the car should be out in production really soon. Weight savings is always a plus in any car and the sales guy told me their chassis was made of aluminum with an MSRP in the mid $60k range. Hopefully with Tesla's large grant they can turn their business into a profitable one in a few years. Electric cars are here to stay and I would love to see it become more mainstream one day. This will only benefit all of our future children and generations to come for sure

With Tesla and Fisker both in the bay area - it's exciting to see be here to witness these cars on the road. We are quite lucky to be so close to this technology - I'm sure in other parts of the country they are the last to know.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:44 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1322600395' post='21195148
Rick
Oops my bad...hehehe!

I was at SR the other night to meet a client and noticed Tesla has their new 4-seater car in their showroom so that means the car should be out in production really soon. Weight savings is always a plus in any car and the sales guy told me their chassis was made of aluminum with an MSRP in the mid $60k range. Hopefully with Tesla's large grant they can turn their business into a profitable one in a few years. Electric cars are here to stay and I would love to see it become more mainstream one day. This will only benefit all of our future children and generations to come for sure

With Tesla and Fisker both in the bay area - it's exciting to see be here to witness these cars on the road. We are quite lucky to be so close to this technology - I'm sure in other parts of the country they are the last to know.
I like car companies start up away from the typical place