California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Anybody up for a LONG drive?

Old 04-04-2001, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a seriously long trip in early May and was wondering if any of you would be interested in hooking up for parts of it, or have advice on the subject.

My goal is to drive from Canada to Mexico along the Pacific Coast highway. Since I live halfway in the middle, the Canada to Mexico part will come in two stages, starting and ending at Half Moon Bay. While I'm at it, I intend to visit all 11 western states, one Canadian province and as many national parks as I can fit in without going too far out of my way. (This would include Joshua Tree, Grand Canyon, Zion, Arches, Mesa Verde, Teton, Yellowstone, Glacier, Olympic, and Redwood).

I intend to enter Canada for a few hundred miles, but will probably not enter Mexico. I've read enough warnings about getting a car into and out of Mexico that I'll probably just drive close to the border and take a picture with Mexico in the background.

The trip will take two weeks and from initial estimates, looks like it will be somewhere over 4200 miles total. Less than 500 miles would be freeways. I intend to average 300-350 miles a day the first week and closer to 400 miles a day the second week. I expect to stay with friends and family for maybe four nights and just find a hotel/motel the rest of the time.

I will do as much of the trip as possible with the top down.

I would post daily trip reports and pictures, except that I don't intend to haul my computer along and I don't have a laptop. I will have a digital camera along for the trip, so I'll be able to post pictures when it's all over and possibly at the mid-point as well.

Any advice, besides bringing along lots of sunscreen and cash?

Anybody have an S2000 bra they would rent to me for two weeks?
Old 04-05-2001, 02:18 PM

I drove from Seattle to Santa Barabara and back the weekend of 3/23-2/36 (OK, long weekend). I went down I-5 (boring) and back 101/1/101.

Couple things that I'd recommend:

Sunscreen and hats.
Good maps.
Patience.
Extra Time.

Outside of a superbike there weren't many people that wanted to play follow the leader Northward from Stinson Beach to Bodega Bay. After that is was late (and straight) enough I could pass the less aggresive.

Also driving through the trees at night on one took a bit of faith in myself and the car. I was actually able to make it to Eureaka from Santa Barabara in nine hours. Only fly in that ointment was 101 trough the city, but hey, it was an adventure.

Lets see, depending on when you get to Oregon and Washington I'd recommend anti-fungals to comabat the the rot that will set in from all the rain.

I had a complete blast doing part of your trip and would recommend it to anyone that loves to drive.

Also the Bay Area was the only place that I saw any S2Ks to speak of and they were all on 1 headed back to the city, so I got to wave hi a lot.

Oh yeah, bring a radar detector.
Old 04-13-2001, 10:56 PM

Scott,
Sounds like an amazing trip!
Couple of minor thoughts.
1) If you have USAA insurance or are an AAA member one can get coverage for Mexico easily and cheaply, or you can buy a few days worth in your US exit town- and the toll road is multilane, divided from Tijuana to Ensenada, and is pretty and well maintained, so if you feel like an couple of hours easy drive on coast road in Mexico, that part is cake, even in an s2000.
2)It's only a small protion of your drive, but I love the drive from Filmore CA to Ojai, and from Ojai, CA N on CA 33- pretty, mountainous, lots of perfect radii turns,little traffic...
3)The southern UT National Parks are amazing, and I'd add Canyonlands to your list for consideration since you're in the 'hood. View from Dead Horse Pt is amazing. If you are up for hikes, the hike in the needles section to confluence overlook (where the Colorado and Green rivers meet) is phenomenal.
3) The drive N from glacier is great on either side. If you went up the west side of the rockies, Yoho NP in BC to Banff NP, Alberta wouldn't add much in distance, but they are extremely scenic. If you haven't seen the valley of 7 peaks (in many ads,& on the back of a Canadian bill- it may be the $2 note) in Banff, it is beautiful.

i'm jealous. Keep us posted!