California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Any of You Try the UK Exhaust Mod?

Old 03-02-2013, 12:42 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm convinced. After a ride-along with Raymond, I'm gonna do the mod this upcoming week. I like the new sound when it hits VTEC.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darkfalcon
I'm convinced. After a ride-along with Raymond, I'm gonna do the mod this upcoming week. I like the new sound when it hits VTEC.
you wont regret it!! i went with 1 1/4 inch piping, but i think i want to go bigger. just to give you a heads up on what sizing to pick!
Old 03-02-2013, 05:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just a heads up to those considering this mod. while it might not affect emissions, it technically, is not a legal mod. don't have the specific CA Vehicle Code handy, but any mod to amplify the sound of a vehicle's exhaust system is a violation (fix-it ticket). might not seem like a big deal to some, but these sort of mods usually open the doors for cops to cite people for other equipment violations... no front plate, too low ride height, under hood mods, etc. guys that remember the whistle tip craze & 4" coffee can exhaust tips on imports trend, know the drill.

not going to get into how i know about all of this. just FYI.

that said, i'm aware of the ri$k$ & am gonna try this mod out soon. prob gonna go 1.5" piping.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trustd_1
just a heads up to those considering this mod. while it might not affect emissions, it technically, is not a legal mod. don't have the specific CA Vehicle Code handy, but any mod to amplify the sound of a vehicle's exhaust system is a violation (fix-it ticket). might not seem like a big deal to some, but these sort of mods usually open the doors for cops to cite people for other equipment violations... no front plate, too low ride height, under hood mods, etc. guys that remember the whistle tip craze & 4" coffee can exhaust tips on imports trend, know the drill.

that said, i'm aware of the ri$k$ & am gonna try this mod out soon. prob gonna go 1.5" piping.
^ any mod is "illegal"
Old 03-03-2013, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by chViETnk
Originally Posted by Trustd_1' timestamp='1362278724' post='22376189

^ any mod is "illegal"
don't want to open a can of worms, but yes & no. you can replace exhaust system components w/non-OEM replacements if the originals are damaged or stolen (catalytic convertors are hot target$ right now).

when it comes to installing CARB legal cat back exhausts (not sure if there are any anymore, like some old GReddys & handful of others), it's really up to the discretion of the cop that cites you. if you're a d-head, and he wants to teach you a lesson or ruin your day, he/she will give you a fix-it ticket even for "legal" mods & let you sort it out. this sucks even more nowadays there are fines &/or admin fee$, even if you get the fix-its signed off.

anyways, i've seen & been thru it all. even when i can get certain things.... addressed, it's really not worth the trouble to me anymore. i'm going to try the UK mod for $#it@ & giggles, and maybe add a few basic suspension mods, but i'm going to leave the rest of this car as stock as possible.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:07 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm gonna try to do this tomorrow. I'll let you know of the results.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:57 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The exhaust components after the cat are not really a CARB issue in California (the intake/header/cat are, however).

The legal limit for sound is 95db in CA. This is measured in a specific way, and certainly a cop's ears are not the measuring stick the way the law is written. Read up on 27151, it implies modified exhaust is legal, given the sound is within the requirements.

This means, don't worry about emissions related issues (passing smog) when you do anything to the exhaust downstream from the cat, but maybe worry about the sound (at the discretion of the officer, however you can get it written off if a sound violation is deemed to be invalid).

The UK exhaust mod is not going to cause sound issues.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:33 PM

i should've left well enough alone.. & will after this. i'm well aware of what's supposed to be emissions legal, CARB legal, CA Vehicle Code legal--esp those LOL

i also know the difference between what's written & perception (what happens more often than not). just giving you folks some friendly advice. things aren't as bad as the Fast & Furious heydays, but things still happen out there. ultimately, the choice is yours. gotta pay to play, sometimes. UK mod/muffler bypass DOES amplify exhaust note. doesn't really matter if the result is an exhaust note that's within the legal DB limit. whether an exhaust is modified or not, it's black & white. (pun intended)

again, the UK mod might be legal (no, it isn't). it might seem harmless enough, but modified exhausts are one of the top "red flags" that open floodgate$. tinted windows are another. but a lota cops are car guys too. yet, they have the means to pretty much do what they please to their rides. not everyone has that luxury. that's all i'm gonna say.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:04 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Trustd_1
i should've left well enough alone.. & will after this. i'm well aware of what's supposed to be emissions legal, CARB legal, CA Vehicle Code legal--esp those LOL

i also know the difference between what's written & perception (what happens more often than not). just giving you folks some friendly advice. things aren't as bad as the Fast & Furious heydays, but things still happen out there. ultimately, the choice is yours. gotta pay to play, sometimes. UK mod/muffler bypass DOES amplify exhaust note. doesn't really matter if the result is an exhaust note that's within the legal DB limit. whether an exhaust is modified or not, it's black & white. (pun intended)

again, the UK mod might be legal (no, it isn't). it might seem harmless enough, but modified exhausts are one of the top "red flags" that open floodgate$. tinted windows are another. but a lota cops are car guys too. yet, they have the means to pretty much do what they please to their rides. not everyone has that luxury. that's all i'm gonna say.
I know what you mean, there's a difference between the text of the law and they way that it is enforced (27151). I once got pulled over by a CHP on I-5 in my old car for a "modified exhaust". I asked the cop to show me the law, and he pulled a little laminated index card out of his pocket and pointed to one of the bullet points under 'offenses' which said "modified exhaust" (implying anything modified is illegal). I finished my trip from LA to SF and stopped by the Redwood City CHP office and got it signed off.

As far as the muffler bypass mod goes, because its not all that loud at regular speeds, you're more likely to get pulled over for VTEC'ing through the city streets than for cruising along and getting nailed with a modified exhaust ticket.

The law is black and white, but the enforcement is not:

27151. (a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:30 AM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

What's up with some of the damn Harley's, is it that cops are too afraid to mess with them?

Quick Reply: Any of You Try the UK Exhaust Mod?