California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Any of You Try the UK Exhaust Mod?

Old 01-20-2014, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had mine done at San Bruno Muffler with 44mm piping and man. The radio has been turned off since then. I'm so glad to get the mod. No gains but such a pleasing sound
Old 01-21-2014, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by verik07
I had mine done at San Bruno Muffler with 44mm piping and man. The radio has been turned off since then. I'm so glad to get the mod. No gains but such a pleasing sound
How much did the shop charge you and did they know what you wanted done when you brought them the car? Or did you have to explain what the mod was?
Old 01-21-2014, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mighty_Mouse_Ep
Originally Posted by verik07' timestamp='1390286802' post='22975238
How much did the shop charge you and did they know what you wanted done when you brought them the car? Or did you have to explain what the mod was?
They knew what I was talking about off the bat. I didn't have to explain anything at all. They just charged me $90
Old 01-21-2014, 08:58 PM

Here's a clip of mine when I had an intake, uk mod, 63mm test pipe, and hondata with 5,200 rpm vtech engagement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U06KbbomkJI
Old 01-22-2014, 05:40 PM

^ @ david21
Sounds good! What mm piping did you use if you dont mind me asking? Im thinking about switching back to my oem exhaust and getting this mod done.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by David21
Here's a clip of mine when I had an intake, uk mod, 63mm test pipe, and hondata with 5,200 rpm vtech engagement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U06KbbomkJI
Why do you have such a high vtec engagement? Talk to Gernby and he'll help you tune it and lower it to ~3,600 rpm
Old 01-23-2014, 10:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds a little loud in my opinion. and a little raspy with the test pipe.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:50 PM

here's a clip of mine right after i had the bypass welded in. it's been a week now, and it sounds even better!

[media]http://youtu.be/WEq1MzIeDMg[/media]
Old 01-27-2014, 06:08 PM

My muffler guy had never heard of the UK mod, so I gave him a quick explanation. He asked me a question I don't know the answer to: do people usually install it perpendicular to the intake pipe, or at another angle? I've also seen pictures of the tube with a kink in it, and other pictures of the tube welded in kind of high up the intake pipe.

My guy said that he knows how he would do it, basically to encourage flow through the mod, but he's never done it and would be happy to do it as I specify. Is there a standard angle/connection point? Is one particular setup better than others? I plan to do this some time this week, if they have time available.

Also, how much have people paid? I see verik07's shop charged him $90; mine said ~$50-$60/side (they're right up the road from me, so convenience pays for the difference, IMO).
Old 01-28-2014, 06:13 PM

it would seem to me that it'd be best to weld the bypass in at an angle as opposed to perpendicularly to promote that flow your muffler guy suggested.

i live in monterey, where everything is more expensive, and the only place i could find who would even do the mod was a top notch 4x4 shop (national competition winners, magazine covers, completely fabricates rigs from the chassis up, etc). they didn't know about the mod either, and they asked me a lot of questions about the design and purpose of the mod, and were enthusiastic about doing the mod. the owner himself was going to fab mine up. he estimated an hour at most and charged me a discounted military rate of $100/hr ($150/hr is standard rate for non-military at the shop). he knew i was on a strict budget and a tight time constraint, but it actually ended up taking him ~3 hours due to seized exhaust bolts and wanting to make sure the design, cutting and welding were perfect. despite of the extra time he only charged me $150. i pretty much watched him the whole time, so i don't feel he was trying to game me. really pleasant guy to deal with too.

i'm very happy with the result and don't regret going to his shop. also, i had gone up to salinas to find a shop first, because the area is... less affluent. again, i couldn't find anyone willing/able to do the work (purposefully avoided places like meineke). everyone recommended one shop that only does exhaust work, but the guy was gone on vacation and wasn't expected back for a few more weeks. i did happen across one sketchy ass shop, but decided to check it out anyway. again, the guy had no idea what i was talking about. i showed him pictures and explained the mod to him, and he initially quoted me "at least $150, but probably more". after i told him he was crazy, he said he would do it for $100. i'm glad i didn't go there though, because i highly doubt he would've been able to match the quality of the shop here in monterey.

Quick Reply: Any of You Try the UK Exhaust Mod?