Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Why do you think that!
Old 03-18-2013, 08:14 AM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by danvuquoc
Originally Posted by macr88' timestamp='1363612468' post='22410601
[quote name='danvuquoc' timestamp='1363581944' post='22410255']
Didn't I just state anecdotal evidence as to why I think it could affect power output?
So this happened to you?
Is that what anecdotal means to you?
[/quote]
It could
So has this happened to you?
Old 03-18-2013, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by macr88
Originally Posted by danvuquoc' timestamp='1363617363' post='22410784
[quote name='macr88' timestamp='1363612468' post='22410601']
[quote name='danvuquoc' timestamp='1363581944' post='22410255']
Didn't I just state anecdotal evidence as to why I think it could affect power output?
So this happened to you?
Is that what anecdotal means to you?
[/quote]
It could
So has this happened to you?
[/quote]

No it hasn't, but anecdotal evidence isn't limited to one's personal experience.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:39 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

I doubt it is doing anything to improve the flow of the mufflers. It is essentially a "hole in your twin-loop muffler piping" simulator.

Maybe if the parts of the twin loop were actually blocked off it would help, but the extra piping seems like it would just add extra volume to the exhaust and interrupt the flow more than the normal twin loop setup. Maybe if the extra piping is angled in a way that controls the flow a bit:

If the extra piping was placed at the angle of the shadow at the top of this photo. But even so the exhaust gasses aren't just going to all follow that path and end up in the muffler chamber anyway, now maybe with very little pressure compared to the normal twin loop.

You can see in this photo that the exhaust gasses aren't just going into this awkward chamber and struggling to get out, the muffler casing is helping guide the gasses through the proper loop as well:

Honestly doesn't seem like the stock exhaust is actually the restrictive when compared to other duals in terms of actual output. It would be interesting to try to make a single exit out of one of the mufflers and actually complete the twin loop with piping.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

People, this will not have adverse effects on power! Those who think so do not understand the dynamics involved.

Look at the photos mac posted on page 2. Connecting the input and output pipes will partially "unrestrict" the exhaust flow, meaning if anything, there will be a gain in power. Now, how much of a gain is anybody's guess until a dyno comparison is performed but my vote is the gain is negligible, i.e. unnoticeable whether using a butt or roller dyno.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LeonV
People, this will not have adverse effects on power! Those who think so do not understand the dynamics involved.

Look at the photos mac posted on page 2. Connecting the input and output pipes will partially "unrestrict" the exhaust flow, meaning if anything, there will be a gain in power. Now, how much of a gain is anybody's guess until a dyno comparison is performed but my vote is the gain is negligible, i.e. unnoticeable whether using a butt or roller dyno.
not questioning you, but what is your background? do you have any educational or professional experience to give credibility to your statements, or are you just speculating, as is everyone else thus far?
Old 03-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Guys..guys...

We can debate the merits of HP and sound in this thread all day. Can't we agree its just a mod? I did it to get the exhaust note, and if it does give a HP boost, it would be a bonus, lol. Honestly, how is one gonna feel a difference of 1-5 HP anyway ?
Old 03-18-2013, 02:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by darkfalcon
Guys..guys...

We can debate the merits of HP and sound in this thread all day. Can't we agree its just a mod? I did it to get the exhaust note, and if it does give a HP boost, it would be a bonus, lol. Honestly, how is one gonna feel a difference of 1-5 HP anyway ?
my butt dyno better be able to detect a POSITIVE 1-5 hp difference cuz i'm gonna install the k&n fipk the easter bunny just dropped off right now! lol
Old 03-18-2013, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trustd_1
Originally Posted by darkfalcon' timestamp='1363645976' post='22411972
Guys..guys...

my butt dyno better be able to detect a POSITIVE 1-5 hp difference cuz i'm gonna install the k&n fipk the easter bunny just dropped off right now! lol
if you feel the difference, its probably in your head honestly.

why is there even an argument over a few hp on this thread? this is stupid.

people are performing this mod to get a louder exhaust tone, not for 1-2hp gain
Old 03-18-2013, 03:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Trustd_1
Originally Posted by LeonV' timestamp='1363642884' post='22411862

not questioning you, but what is your background? do you have any educational or professional experience to give credibility to your statements, or are you just speculating, as is everyone else thus far?
Since you ask, my background is in mechanical engineering with an emphasis on automotive (IC engine design, vehicle dynamics). With that said, I don't think it matters much really, and I don't feel like it should credit/discredit me. I've had my share of practical experience as well...

In the big picture, I agree that it's a waste of time to argue the minute performance differences regarding this "mod". My point is more to clear up people's misconceptions about these topics, not only related to short-circuiting your muffler, but as a whole.

Quick Reply: Any of You Try the UK Exhaust Mod?