California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Any S.F. hotel recommendations for a visitor?

Old 04-29-2004, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any S.F. hotel recommendations for a visitor?

My wife and I will be celebrating our 6th wedding anniversary this coming June and are pretty sure we'll be in San Francisco.

1.) Which hotels would your recommend that would allow for some relatively safe walks to the local attractions?

2.) Which local attractions are scenic and geared for wandering around? (ie. Parks, trails, beaches, tourist districts.)

3.) Which restaurants should I not miss out on while I'm there?

4.) What else have I missed?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 04-29-2004, 09:57 PM

Marriot?

W hotel?

Ritz Carlton?
Old 04-29-2004, 10:10 PM
ttb

1) need a price range. there's always those by the hour places in the tenderloin i stayed at the westin st. francis in union square for a v-day before, pretty nice. personally i dont like the location of the ritz. the rooms at the w are too small.

2) u can walk across the golden gate bridge. there's always the pier area. there's golden gate park and some museums around that area.

3) fancy? cheap? right now i'm in the mood for tapas, so u can go to the mission district and try cha cha chas. house of prime rib is also another favorite. like fancy seafood, try aqua, but some people think it's overrated. boulevard is suppose to be pretty good too. my friend loves gary dankos. for cheap food head over to berkeley, check out the campus, and stop by the durant food court. steve's bbq for some good, cheap korean food.

4) what do u like to do?
Old 04-29-2004, 10:18 PM

Definitely go to Golden Gate park and check out the Japanese gardens, or whatever else catches your eye there. GG park is a great place to walk around on a sunny day, and/or have a picnic. Afterwards you can drive west to the beach, and perhaps eat at The Beach Chalet (http://www.beachchalet.com). Their food is pretty good... I enjoyed the filet mignon... but skip the key lime pie. They also brew their own beers, and have a fun beer sampler tray you can try. The Beach Chalet is a very short walk across the street from the beach, which is a nice safe place for a romantic walk.

As far as hotels, your price range would be helpful. When you decide which hotel to stay in, just ask the concierge where it's safe to walk. Avoid the Tenderloin district if you can, esp. at night. Union Square is pretty nice and safe at night, and the Westin-StFrancis hotel is located there, but expect to spend $$$$$$$.

here's a good site to check out, btw. http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/

welcome to SF!
Old 04-30-2004, 06:28 AM

First off. Thanks for all the replies so far. I love this forum!

Without trying to be arrogant, I'm not too worried about the prices. Anniversaries get increased spending limits.

As far as the other activites go, we like to just walk around, see the sights, take in a few museums/shows/live music/.etc . The japanese garden will definitely be a must.

I'll check out all of the suggestions made so far.

Thanks again for your help.

Joe
Old 04-30-2004, 10:22 AM
ttb

depending on how long you stay you can always do an excursion to napa, about an hour from sf. get in some wine tasting and scenic views. can get a massage while you're there to relax.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:38 AM

my wife and i go to SF once a year just to dine out for a week
we've had good luck at Boulevard, XYZ, Farralon, Masa's, Aqua, Hawthorn Lane this month we're going to gary danko, jardinierre,fog city diner,back to aqua, and Campton?(compton) place and the Japanese place at Mandarin?(Silks?) go to ruggedelegance.com to check out SF dining options We have stayed in Hotel Diva(nice) Hilton(not nice) and Ritz(expensive and like all other Ritz's) Good luck
Old 04-30-2004, 11:36 AM

I'll look into these suggestions over the weekend. I guess we'll find out how much S.F. we can absorb during our 4 day stay.

I appreciate the help so far. Please keep them coming in.
Old 04-30-2004, 12:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Mandarin Oriental hotel in downtown has a great view. Probably the highest hotel in the city. http://mandarin-oriental.com/sanfrancisco/
Old 04-30-2004, 12:35 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jteemd
my wife and i go to SF once a year just to dine out for a week
we've had good luck at Boulevard, XYZ, Farralon, Masa's, Aqua, Hawthorn Lane

Quick Reply: Any S.F. hotel recommendations for a visitor?