California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

any luck taking the S2k back for oil consumption??

Old 02-24-2004, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any luck taking the S2k back for oil consumption??

My 01 is still burning oil at 28k miles. I've always used mobile 1 syn. oil after the 7500 mark. Is this just a problem with our cars? Or, has anybody had any luck taking back under warranty?

Joe
Old 02-24-2004, 10:23 PM

MY 01 is burning oil too......I am using Mobile 1 15w-50
Old 02-24-2004, 10:25 PM

hey I also have a question
do we need to clean the engine before use the Mobile 1 fully syn????
I heard my friends said we have to clean the old oil before use the M 1, is that right?
Old 02-25-2004, 07:18 AM

joeox,

How much oil does it burn? My '02 has over 55k miles and still seems to burn a little. It's not much though...certainly not enough for me to bother checking between oil changes.

owenxguo,

I've switched between Castrol, Redline, and Mobil 1 (all 10W30 synthetic) without problems. Never cleaned the engine or anything...
Old 02-25-2004, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by owenxguo
hey I also have a question
do we need to clean the engine before use the Mobile 1 fully syn????
I heard my friends said we have to clean the old oil before use the M 1, is that right?
What do they say to clean it with?
Old 02-25-2004, 08:17 AM

No, you don't have to "clean" the motor before switching to synthetic. Synth oils are completely compatible with dino oil, so the little bit that will be left in the engine after you drain the oil pan will make no difference.

As for burning oil, it really depends how much. If you go through 2 quarts every 1500 miles, you've got a problem.

If you burn .5-1 quart between oil changes, it's not a big deal... just check your oil often. The dealer also won't do anything about oil consumption like this, because something on the order of up to 1 quart per 3000 miles is considered within the realm of "normalcy".
Old 02-25-2004, 09:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is normal for our car to burn oil. Check the owners manual.

More oil will be consumed by aggressive driving, especially on right-hand turns.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:04 PM

Just keep a few bottles in the trunk and check at every or every other fillup.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:55 PM

I lose about ~1.5 quarts of oil every 3,000 miles. This concerns me because I believe the oil is going somewhere it shouldn't be. I also drive the car moderately.

I believe the manual says the car will consume oil in the initial breakin but not for the life of the car.

Anyhow, I made an appointment with Los Gatos Honda this saturaday. Let's see wha happens. My 3yrs or 36,000 miles warranty is coming up.

Has anybody taken the S back for this??
Old 03-02-2004, 01:41 AM

Originally posted by Asura
check at every or every other fillup.

I check mine every or every other fill up or about 300 miles depending how hard I drive. My S started to burn oil at about 1,500 miles and continued to do so till about just under 3,000 miles. My S goes though very little oil unless I drive it . Even when I drive it that hard, it doesn't lose that much. It clearly states in the owners manual to check the oil level every time you fuel the car. Keep in mind, this is a high performance sports car, it needs a little attention. Also keep in mind that there are slight variations from one engine to another. In other words, there are minute differences in the tolerances from one engine to another, meaning that some engines burn more oil than others do. Mine just happens to not burn that much oil (5000 miles and counting).

It is normal for these engines to burn oil. If you said that you go through one quart, say every 700-800 miles, then I would think that would be a problem. I have read a thread or two that went something like "my car went through 3 quarts of oil in 1,000 miles. Then it blew up"

I think the best thing anybody can do is make sure that the oil level never falls more than 1/2 to 3/4 of a quart down. Like I said, this car will always lose some oil which is why we are supposed to check it frequently. If you lose 1 1/2 quarts every 3,000 miles and you don't drive as hard as myself or other S owners, I would think that would be a little bit excessive, although Honda Motor Corp might consider that perfectly normal.

Quick Reply: any luck taking the S2k back for oil consumption??