California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Any interest in the Annual Treasure Island S2KI Meet?

Old 07-31-2014, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KREIM
I know it's the treasure island meet and you guys would probably like to keep it in the Bay Area. But I had a thought, would you guys be inclined to have the meet at possibly Laguna Seca in Monterey? My sister used to work for marketing out there and she was telling me that it wouldn't be a problem, bc we aren't using the track. I can contact the county and see what the details or requirements are. Let me know what you guys think.

Why not have a TI meet and a Leguna Seca meet, im sure lots will be interested to visit leguna
Old 07-31-2014, 10:35 AM
Community Organizer

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Mazda is doing their largest gathering of Miatas on the September 5th-7th weekend. Perhaps if it's possible, a S2K meet can happen the week afterward. But it is quite far away from the Bay Area in general, so I'm not sure if the majority of us SF and Sac people will drive that distance. Appreciate the suggestion though.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know it's the treasure island meet and you guys would probably like to keep it in the Bay Area. But I had a thought, would you guys be inclined to have the meet at possibly Laguna Seca in Monterey? My sister used to work for marketing out there and she was telling me that it wouldn't be a problem, bc we aren't using the track. I can contact the county and see what the details or requirements are. Let me know what you guys think.
I'd be down for this as a substitute to TI. Great suggestion, and thanks for offering to look into it
Old 07-31-2014, 11:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great idea sir
i wouldn't mind driving some distance to go to a whole day of bbq, meeting new people, and

Originally Posted by darkfalcon
Mazda is doing their largest gathering of Miatas on the September 5th-7th weekend. Perhaps if it's possible, a S2K meet can happen the week afterward. But it is quite far away from the Bay Area in general, so I'm not sure if the majority of us SF and Sac people will drive that distance. Appreciate the suggestion though.
don't you "SF guys" do drives to monterey for cioppino and autox?
we are currently looking for a place to host a bbq and a meet and can't really be favoring SF.. unless you have another place in SF that works.
i understand that this is an event that you're planning, but you have to consider other ideas rather than taking them down from the white board.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:10 PM
Community Organizer

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I didn't mean to automatically shoot down the idea. TI is a central location that many of us can get to. I'm sure Laguna Seca is a fine location if it happens to be the best for the meet.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:33 PM

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Laguna Seca? Are we talking track use, just visiting, or what? I'd want to know EVERYTHING beforehand, as I could see costs being severe depending on activities. That said, big props for S2KREIM for making use of some connections.

I don't want to be Negative Ned, but I'm just imploring y'all to think ahead, stay above board, and shop your idea(s) around. Also, please keep in mind we're trying to have just a meet/greet/BBQ around September, then something major next year (just not at the same time as Homecoming, obviously).
Old 07-31-2014, 12:39 PM

an event at Laguna sounds fun, even if it's not a track event, which i doubt will appeal to the masses. still, i don't think there's going to be as many actual attendees for an event out there, as opposed to something more local. i don't mind driving that far. i got my S for just that, to DRIVE it, but many s2k owners seem averse to putting mileage on their cars.

one thing that really needs to be considered when choosing a location, is food. hard to tell from the responses, but assuming the majority want to eat at the event, how is that going to be handled? the farther you go, it complicates things. our cars aren't exactly spacious, and i don't think anyone wants to eat food that's been transported for 2 hours+ w/out proper cooling. there aren't a whole lot of restaurants around Laguna either... unless they plan on opening the track's concession stands for us, and you guys are okay with eating that stuff. granted, it'll be similar food as typical bbq fare, likely at 3-4 x's the price.

just things to consider.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've already looked into a portion of it. Laguna allows BBQ and vendors. I will call them and find out about the price and the regulations. I will get back to you guys with all the information.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:58 PM

I've already looked into a portion of it. Laguna allows BBQ and vendors. I will call them and find out about the price and the regulations. I will get back to you guys with all the information.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quick Reply: Any interest in the Annual Treasure Island S2KI Meet?