California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Any interest in the Annual Treasure Island S2KI Meet?

Old 07-28-2014, 10:50 AM
Community Organizer

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Well it definitely should have something more than with what happened last year. It was a simple meet and greet with only re-arranged cars for the group photo. We need something to break the ice and get people to come out. Food, photos, raffles...they are all on the table at this point. I don't really have much experience hosting something of this magnitude.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI: As soon as I know what day you get locked down, I will be rallying the Sac Group to show. I will to try and get as many there as possible.

Honestly, I don't know that food, photos or raffles are hugely of importance. There's so many of us that it may be a challenge to have enough food. Great if you can pull it off but I wouldn't stress it too hard if all that becomes too much.
The regulars in the Sac group already know the TI meet even if they have never been to a single meet. It's famous for the sake of it being so huge. We had a meet last Friday and I got asked by a few, if I when the TI meet was going to happen. It's already on the minds of many.

For what it is worth, I already plan on bringing an S2k's trunk-load of small water bottles to have available at the meet.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:16 PM

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by darkfalcon
Well it definitely should have something more than with what happened last year. It was a simple meet and greet with only re-arranged cars for the group photo. We need something to break the ice and get people to come out. Food, photos, raffles...they are all on the table at this point. I don't really have much experience hosting something of this magnitude.
Do we need permits, etc. for Treasure Island's space? What we do will probably be largely dependent on what is allowed. . .

http://sftreasureisland.org/specialevents

I just skimmed this, and it looks like we may need to pass the hat around and/or charge admission to make this work, just to cover venue rental and one-day liability insurance (if we even qualify).
Old 07-28-2014, 12:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie
Do we need permits, etc. for Treasure Island's space? What we do will probably be largely dependent on what is allowed. . .

http://sftreasureisland.org/specialevents

I just skimmed this, and it looks like we may need to pass the hat around and/or charge admission to make this work, just to cover venue rental and one-day liability insurance (if we even qualify).
In the past, we have not submitted any requests for permits. However, the island has gotten more strict since the first time this meet was set-up 3 years ago, and more venues have been added at the existing buildings, so we may have to this time.

I have emailed the event manager with some general info about our meet to find out more information about what may/may not be required for us.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by ics2ks
I have emailed the event manager with some general info about our meet to find out more information about what may/may not be required for us.
His response to my email...

"Hi Chris- thanks for reaching out.

I’ve attached our Special Event Packet and Application for review. Parking lots rent from $1000-$1500 depending on the lot. Any gathering on Treasure Island is considered an event. Please review the insurance requirements as described in the packet.

Lots are reserved in advance for a variety of events here on the Island, and having 100-150 cars arrive without following our protocol can be disruptive to an event that has followed the process."
Old 07-28-2014, 01:09 PM

My advice right now is, just plan ahead for next year. Make this not just a mega meet for the bay area, but spread the word to neighboring S2Ki regional forums (i.e. Sacramento, Central Valley, SoCal, Nevada, Arizona, etc.) so that we could actually get something huge together.

Otherwise, it's almost not even worth it to spend a few hours doing nothing with 100 cars and be required to pay $1000 + insurance.

I would be glad to help organize something on a larger scale for next year, if this is desirable.

OR...

you just wait for Homecoming III
Old 07-28-2014, 01:09 PM
Community Organizer

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Yikes that's pricey. Well I dunno how it'll be done without going through this process. We did just fine last year.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:12 PM

Yikes that's pricey. Well I dunno how it'll be done without going through this process. We did just fine last year.
If you're willing to take the risk of not getting a permit, then go for it. But if that's the case, count me out.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:20 PM

i think things are getting a little too out of hand. don't try to throw another Homecoming event. when/if that goes down in SoCal, let them go all out. scale things back little.

Treasure Island is a good location. Add a raffle, bbq, & maybe some games and prizes (People's Choice, Best Interior, Exterior, Long Distance Award, etc), and that'll be good.

just my $.03.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea but there were a few others, not from our event but from others afterwards, that ruined it for everyone else who wanted to do a similar event. last group of cars that i remember before others got kicked out were the supra guys. no one had anything comparable to us though

Originally Posted by Trustd_1
i think things are getting a little too out of hand. don't try to throw another Homecoming event. when/if that goes down in SoCal, let them go all out. scale things back little.

Treasure Island is a good location. Add a raffle, bbq, & maybe some games and prizes (People's Choice, Best Interior, Exterior, Long Distance Award, etc), and that'll be good.

just my $.03.
yea it sounds easy to plan but it's not as easy as you think, especially in this scenario due to liability and other circumstances

Quick Reply: Any interest in the Annual Treasure Island S2KI Meet?