California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Anti-Theft 101

Old 05-13-2009, 08:35 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Anti-Theft 101

Seems like many of us are worried about our precious cars, so lets start a thread to figure out what the most effective combo would be !

i have stock alarm and nothing more, insurance is my line of defense. KBB's @ 21k, so i can sleep easy at night not worried about mods either, im sure the car will be total'd if they bother taking any of my goodies.

but back then when I was worried about my 1way insured prelude-

basic line of defenses
club (steering wheel lock)
alarm
clutch lock/ e-brake lever block. (can't disengage the e-brake)

2ndary-
aftermarket alarm on separate battery
kill-switch for main fuel pump relay

3rdary-
proximity sensor / silent alarm. (meaning it doesn't sound sirens but makes the remote beep/vibrate)
take the ECU with you
take your steeringwheel with you (hub/QR combo)

anyone got any more ideas?

oh yeah for my front lip, i lined the edge where the screws go with box cutter razor's and the nuts on the top side so it can't be accessed easily. just an idea for you guys, ill snap a pic when i can (probably sunday) the only thing i'd suggest is telling every shop you take your car to and warn them even if they aren't working on it, just in case if they drop something in the engine bay and try to reach or something.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

instead of taking the whole ecu with me, i just pulled the fuse out
Old 05-13-2009, 08:46 PM

oh and how thieves take your car:

keycylinder pick- only applies to older cars, not really an issue for S2k owners as far as i know. there's a spring-loaded pin (i think) in the key cylinder now that makes it near impossible to "jiggle" open. stick a key in the s2k lock, and compare it with an older honda like an EG and it'll feel denser.

the old spark plug trick- spark plugs are made of ceramic or w/e and are super dense. (good idea to keep it in ur coin pocket for tailgaters) they can for sure penetrate glass with a LIGHT throw. after glass is broken, unlock and walk away until owner leaves the car un-attended again.

note- if someone is tailgating you on the hwy and not cutting you off and just being an asshole, toss a spark plug bit up and watch ur rearview. if it hits their windshield, they're getting towed home because the sparkplug will spiderweb the entire front windshield making visibility impossible.

flatbed- usually with other hondas, its because they have those nifty tow hooks as JDM mods. what they don't know is that its the easiest way to get towed away, you have a hook already there for them they can just load up, crack your window and lower the e-brake. and of course they can just tow away too, forgot to mention that.

the ECU swap- in yohan's thread i remember someone saying that the immobilizer will stop theft etc. etc. unless if they bring their own ECU. thats exactly right, its not hard to bypass the immobilizer system given that you have your own setup.

option 1) aftermarket EMS- Kpro for example, there's a tab in the settings to turn immobilizer off, so someone with an EMS can just plug up to your car and tke off.

option 2) spoon/jdm/mugen ECU's i believe don't have immobilizer, those can plug up and go.

option 3) using your wiring harness, they can disconnect your immobilizer unit, and have their own keyring/key/ECU giving the codes to their immobilizer while using your ignition. this is actually how my prelude runs right now since my ECU didn't match and it works flawlessly.

as for how they would get the ignition open, they don't have to. they can simply break the trim pieces (behind the steerigwheel, in front of the switch) and break off the steering lock. if you've taken the ignition apart its held on by a 2mm-thick sheet metal collar. thats not stopping a breaker bar and a fat guy for sure. after that they can take out the 2 philips head on the ignition piece and turn that on then hit the push start and be on their way. i'd imagine from when i took my ignition apart that the whole process wouldn't take more than 10 minutes.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by eCrS2k,May 13 2009, 08:40 PM
instead of taking the whole ecu with me, i just pulled the fuse out
which fuse is that for the in-cabin? haha i take my kpro with me when i park for extended periods of time
Old 05-13-2009, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my old integra i had 2 fuel cut off switch hidden. both must be on to send fuel. before i did that i used to pull the fuse (fuel pump) and had after market steering wheel with quick release.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 05-14-2009, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wtf.... i feel like my quick release is insufficient
Old 05-14-2009, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by lewiS2K,May 14 2009, 10:11 AM
wtf.... i feel like my quick release is insufficient
it kinda is

a BFV (Big ****ing Vicegrip) makes for a good temporary steering wheel.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lolololol failed once more lewis.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:27 PM

OH and i forgot to mention, the best line of defense is owning suzuka blue. The thieves know that the seats will NOT be worth any money so they don't bother.

Quick Reply: Anti-Theft 101