California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Another tow....

Old 08-06-2012, 08:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
AHHHHHHYEAAAAAAH!

Yeah that is the Limited model with engine start and auto climate control, and sweet keyless (key in pocket, touch the handle to unlock the door) entry. Hope he gets it broken in before I come back to the bay area
If he figured out the ipad he can figure this thing out!
Old 08-06-2012, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol you definitely look like your poppa. nice ride though. maybe you should drift it with him...

btw, since i see your alpine stars decal initial d fifth stage is finally coming out november. (and ryosuke's longest battle with the NSX) just sayin!
Old 08-06-2012, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by yamez
lol you definitely look like your poppa. nice ride though. maybe you should drift it with him...

btw, since i see your alpine stars decal initial d fifth stage is finally coming out november. (and ryosuke's longest battle with the NSX) just sayin!
LOL, we'll he's a good looking lad!
My next goal is to sneak an Alpine Speed Stars sticker on that BRZ! (First mod!)
Old 08-07-2012, 11:48 AM

More reviews:

The in- dash GPS is totally trick and I haven't even tried to have it get me from A to B yet.It shows the elevation of the car as it travels around.When on a city street a little screen appears that displays the addresses adjacent to where the car is.When on the freeway where there are no addresses,the little display disappears.The main screen shows the road the car is on and the surrounding streets and the car moving along the road like other GPS's do.You can choose to have the display show the radio or the GPS.
they want it kept under 4000 rpm for 1st 1000 miles.Try not doing extended steady rpm's either hi or low either
Old 08-07-2012, 12:57 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Follow this - http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old 08-07-2012, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2
Thanks Rob. I'll pass the information along!
Old 08-07-2012, 01:10 PM

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Yeah, who to listen to. Some random guy with a shitty website or Subaru who have built millions of engines. Millions. The thing is, just as he mentions in the article, is that somewhere along the line the piston seals have probably already been seated properly. In this case probably on an engine dyno at Subaru before the engine ever met the car or after the car was fully assembled. Driving the piss out of a freshly built engine these days shouldn't hurt much, but probably isn't the wisest thing to do on the oil used from the factory to break it in (I doubt the BRZ or any modern car ships wit "break-in" oil btw). Any measured performance difference people see using different break-in methods is completely within the margin of error or difference you would get from engine to engine anyway.

The engine is ALREADY BROKEN-IN, the car isn't.

I like how the guy takes a break in the middle of the article:

"Here is a compilation of over one thousand of my favorite music videos
from the '60's, '70's, '80's, '90's, '00's and '10's

Keep reading the Break-In Secrets article, but please check out the new page -- I really think you'll like it !!
Another link to it is at the bottom of this page."

Thanks motoman, thanks a lot.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Yeah, who to listen to. Some random guy with a shitty website or Subaru who have built millions of engines. Millions. The thing is, just as he mentions in the article, is that somewhere along the line the piston seals have probably already been seated properly. In this case probably on an engine dyno at Subaru before the engine ever met the car or after the car was fully assembled. Driving the piss out of a freshly built engine these days shouldn't hurt much, but probably isn't the wisest thing to do on the oil used from the factory to break it in (I doubt the BRZ or any modern car ships wit "break-in" oil btw). Any measured performance difference people see using different break-in methods is completely within the margin of error or difference you would get from engine to engine anyway.

The engine is ALREADY BROKEN-IN, the car isn't.

I like how the guy takes a break in the middle of the article:

"Here is a compilation of over one thousand of my favorite music videos
from the '60's, '70's, '80's, '90's, '00's and '10's

Keep reading the Break-In Secrets article, but please check out the new page -- I really think you'll like it !!
Another link to it is at the bottom of this page."

Thanks motoman, thanks a lot.
Good food for thought, this has always been a controversial topic.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:32 PM

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

No offense taken. Never mind the reply is gone, anyway..

Summary of all the crap below: I don't think he is wrong he just fails to mention that you in fact shouldn't drive the piss out of your car, and 90% of the people that post up that article tell people to drive the piss out of their car without actually reading beyond "Drive it hard!" I also think it is wrong to post this info out of context in a thread about a brand new car built in 2012.

Now.. (striked out all the shit below for the sake of this great thread) but since I took the time to write it, if you want to read it you have to read through a damn line.

I have no idea how many engines he has broken in, an neither do you. I have most likely put together the exact same amount of F20Cs and FA20 engines as good ol' Motoman here. Honda and Subaru, they have engineered, built, and broken in and serviced millions. I have no problem with what he is recommending as a break-in method, as I don't think it will cause any harm, I just think he is wasting people's time. How many people do you think follow Motoman's break in method on their new cars in the past 10 years out of all the people that buy sports cars? How many of these Motoman haters that followed the manufacturers recommended break-in procedure had major power loss issues or engine reliability issues? We have no idea, and either does Motoman.

Yeah I have read it many times, and I have seen it posted on hundred upon hundreds of car forums over the years when people ask about breaking in a brand new car. (nobody even mentioned engine break-in yet this link magically showed up in this threadI am not saying his methods are in anyway incorrect (for rebuilding an engine), I am saying that car manufacturers in almost all situations already do something similar to what he is recommending before the car even leaves the factory and it doesn't make much of a difference to follow the steps he mentions. So I don't think his logic is wrong, I think it is unnecessary in almost 90% of the situations it is recommended.

You are correct he is in no way telling anyone to beat the piss out of the engine for 1000 miles, but he does mention that brand new motorcycles from Honda, that they stopped manufacturing in 1991 (over 20 years ago) should go through the same process as he mentions for a rebuilt engine. And he is probably right, regulations and manufacturing procedures were probably fairly different back then, but car manufacturers DO put every car through testing before it leaves the factory, and most go well beyond whatever the requirements are. Do I know exactly what Subaru or Honda does at the factory with their engines and cars? No. And either does Motoman. What I DO know (as does Motoman but of course fails to mention in his beautifully written and beautifully crafted geocities website and music video list) is that there are MANY more factors beyond breaking in and engine that the manufacturer has already broken-in, that will effect it's performance and lifespan. Because Motoman has never updated this article and even includes text like "Several factors make the older information on break-in obsolete." in reference to break-in methods even older than what he is recommending, I assume he hasn't made any considerations for what has happened in the last few decades.

Also, he is happy to say how many engines he has broken-in with his method, how many has he broken in using the recommended methods from the manufacturer? How in any way, is some random dude's 20 year old blog about engine break-in methods scientific in anyway? I don't think Motoman has any reason to want to cause harm to anyone's new engine, and I don't think his methods will cause any harm to anyone's new engine, I just think he is completely wasting people's time (at no fault of his own) and I think his website is a total piece of shit.

Since this was brought up though, I am interested in what other people involved in motorsports do with engines after building them from scratch or rebuilding them. Anyone I have ever asked that does this for a living either has a very specific but still relatively mild break-in procedure (that involves putting much less miles on the engine than 1000), or they follow similar guidelines to the manufacturer. I have a close friend who builds SuperGT and D1 cars at a shop in Tokyo, I will see if I can get his opinion.

Enough of that bullshit. MORE BRZ PLEASE!
Old 08-07-2012, 05:54 PM

Photoshoot with the BRZ is scheduled for Friday night with alexey near the la Honda house.

I did mention engine break in just to quote my dad on what he was advised to do for the break in. This was subarus recommendation in the quote.

Quick Reply: Another tow....