California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

anonymous attacks godaddy

Old 09-10-2012, 03:24 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts
Default anonymous attacks godaddy

I know there are a few anonymous fan boys on this site. I thought I'd share with you the lost revenue our business experienced today. Yes, that's right we were negatively affected by this groups attack on a big domain company. Us the little guy in all of this, and I'd like my business name/url to stay out of this thread and any reference online less be a target for you fan boys.

So a heads up to all the love towards this group. Today it cost us real dollars. We aren't an evil company. We didn't need to pay the price.

So please think before you blindly support these groups.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...odaddy-attack/
Old 09-10-2012, 03:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats too bad.
Sorry to hear that Rob.

I've never understood the point of the Anonymous group. It's seems these "political" stunts have accomplished nothing at all for "the cause". Other than exposing some already known vulnerabilities of the target of attack.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

That sucks, sorry to hear
Old 09-10-2012, 08:03 PM

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Really lame that your business was affected.

Looks like the article was updated saying some random person who doesn't speak English very well is actually responsible. The person claiming responsibility seems to be quite the moron:

“When I do some DDoS attack, I like to let it down by many days,” the person claiming responsibility said on Twitter. “It can last one hour or one month.”

If your business relies on uptime, I would definitely look at moving your domains and hosting away from GoDaddy, if not for reasons like you experienced today do it because the people who own/manage GoDaddy are far bigger morons than the moron that took down millions of sites today.

All of this "activism" over the last couple of years in this country is a bad joke, it's all completely meaningless and there is no cause to support even. Occupy (whatever street), Anonymous, some of the most misguided pretend activism the world has ever seen. It's no different than the KONY2012 bullshit it helped spawn either. All of these blanket movements trying to change so much they never change anything at all. At best these "movements" are like a large random line of people who don't know what they are in line for, other people walk by and just get in the line because they are also morons. A single intelligent person can make a bigger difference than a group full of morons.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:16 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Really lame that your business was affected.

Looks like the article was updated saying some random person who doesn't speak English very well is actually responsible. The person claiming responsibility seems to be quite the moron:

“When I do some DDoS attack, I like to let it down by many days,” the person claiming responsibility said on Twitter. “It can last one hour or one month.”

If your business relies on uptime, I would definitely look at moving your domains and hosting away from GoDaddy, if not for reasons like you experienced today do it because the people who own/manage GoDaddy are far bigger morons than the moron that took down millions of sites today.

All of this "activism" over the last couple of years in this country is a bad joke, it's all completely meaningless and there is no cause to support even. Occupy (whatever street), Anonymous, some of the most misguided pretend activism the world has ever seen. It's no different than the KONY2012 bullshit it helped spawn either. All of these blanket movements trying to change so much they never change anything at all. At best these "movements" are like a large random line of people who don't know what they are in line for, other people walk by and just get in the line because they are also morons. A single intelligent person can make a bigger difference than a group full of morons.
Who has better more reliable service?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:18 PM

At best these "movements" are like a large random line of people who don't know what they are in line for, other people walk by and just get in the line because they are also morons. A single intelligent person can make a bigger difference than a group full of morons.
Unfortunately, social psychology tells us that the influence of movement is not always at the full discretion of the individual, and group mentality can sway individuals to do strange things, whether moronic or not. Sadly, even the non-morons are susceptible to standing in line...

...or standing backwards in an elevator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttKPfSsRKkY
Old 09-10-2012, 08:22 PM

Better service. Every other hosting company out there. More reliable, almost every other hosting company:

http://lifehacker.com/5870649/ditch-...-at-a-discount

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellycla...daddy-and-how/

I use Dreamhost.com for my domains and hosting, and never have any major issues. You will have downtime with almost any web host at some point or another but GoDaddy's service is abysmal, not to mention the exploitation of women, elephant killing, and other such cockery.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Better service. Every other hosting company out there. More reliable, almost every other hosting company:

http://lifehacker.com/5870649/ditch-...-at-a-discount

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellycla...daddy-and-how/

I use Dreamhost.com for my domains and hosting, and never have any major issues. You will have downtime with almost any web host at some point or another but GoDaddy's service is abysmal, not to mention the exploitation of women, elephant killing, and other such cockery.
While not endorsing GoDaddy, Dreamhost is far from more reliable. Had customers suffer outages before of their issues earlier this year.

http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-n...ting-customers.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/29/dre...now-an-outage/
Old 09-10-2012, 09:26 PM

You will find the same type of posts for every single host out there. Welcome to the internet. Ever notice how often S2ki.com is down? If you want 100% reliability I recommend buying your own data center.

Actually that's it. No more non-car related posts from me ever on this site, this site would be much more useful if more people followed this rule..
Old 09-10-2012, 09:47 PM

Actually that's it. No more non-car related posts from me ever on this site, this site would be much more useful if more people followed this rule..
I thought this was debate club. Someone needs to let new members know. Time to cancel my membership and join toast masters.

Quick Reply: anonymous attacks godaddy