California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

alpine deck w/ modrify dci

Old 06-24-2006, 09:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The whole point is the Honda harness you can buy at Best Buy will suffice for this installation with little to no effort with install and it is a 20 minute DIY operation. Thats all I am trying to say. You may be correct with the way you want to hook it up and thats great, but I am also correct with the way I want to hook it up.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:46 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

only $15 wiring harnesses? i thought the plug and play wiring harnesses came in two pieces, coz when i install radios they always sell me 2... it think i'm getting ripped off. well if were to do one for honda, it would be 1 harness that plugs honda to universal and then 1 harness that plugs universal to whatever specific aftermarket radio. and they sell it to me for 17$ a piece.
but yea.. it is pretty easy to install. most trouble shooting you have to do is add more ground (-) to the system. =)
Old 06-24-2006, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JsAP1,Jun 24 2006, 10:31 AM
The whole point is the Honda harness you can buy at Best Buy will suffice for this installation with little to no effort with install and it is a 20 minute DIY operation. Thats all I am trying to say. You may be correct with the way you want to hook it up and thats great, but I am also correct with the way I want to hook it up.
You just don't get it. The question was about installing with DCI. That's why you don't want to use the Best Buy harness.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:32 AM

I just installed a DCI onto a Alpine deck and I had the harness/molex from Modify and it does has extra wires included. If you do not have a harness that has extra wires, you'll just have to splice the single wire. The wires you need to splice found on modifry's website. There are 4 of them. Check out the IR DCI Installation instructions.

You should tell us where you live so you could find someone to help you out.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:45 AM

hmm...i should have access to all the tools, if anything, i'll just need guidance, so i don't think i'll be as generous as johann w/ paying. my biggest concern is just running the ipod cable to the center compartment by the armrest. since i ordered from crutchfield, it came with instructions, ipod cable, and harness already.

with that said, it's still straightforward? i'll worry about getting modifry's dci later this year.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:30 PM

sounds like an easy install. is it hard to get the radio door off?
Old 06-24-2006, 02:27 PM

I'm going to want to do this soon - however with all the chatter I'm a bit confused.

There's another thread asking if the 9857 is worth the $150 premium over the 9856 (which I have in my 4Runner). Some say yes, because:
1: It's easier to navigate your iPod if you have many files on it and
2: (what's sold me) the 9857 is compatible with the Modifry Alpine WIRED DCI.

So - my question is, in addition to the 9857, what do I need to buy?

1: The Modifry Alpine Wired DCI?

2: The Generic Honda to Alpine Harness at Best Buy?
--> wouldn't the stock harness already be wired for the stock controls and it's communicated through the harness?

Thanks for clearing this up for me!

- Joe
Old 06-24-2006, 03:54 PM

joe: that was my thread in the electronics forum. i bit the bullet and chose to get it because of the better display

1. Depending on where you buy it from, things will and will not be included. THe Modifry's Alpine Wired DCI I think is only for sale on s2ki.com, as no other vendors carry it. It's pretty much a must unless you want to lose your dash controls.

2. If you buy from Crutchfield, it includes the harness for free. Best Buy will charge you as well as practically any other store. As far as whether or not this is a requirement, I'm unsure.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey guys, can someone help me install my alpine 9857 deck w/ the ipod connecter and the modrify dci? i am willing to pay for the service.
where do u live?
Old 06-24-2006, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by nVz2000,Jun 24 2006, 03:27 PM
1: The Modifry Alpine Wired DCI?

2: The Generic Honda to Alpine Harness at Best Buy?
--> wouldn't the stock harness already be wired for the stock controls and it's communicated through the harness?
The stock harness is the part that you will be plugging your new deck in to. Here's a pic of some of the parts involved:

What you keep, is the plug on the left. The middle part is the additional harness you should get with your DCI. It has the extra wires that the harness from Best Buy/CC doesn't(Since they don't usually support dash controls).

What is not shown is the harness for the deck itself.

Quick Reply: alpine deck w/ modrify dci