California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Alignment Woes

Old 05-28-2014, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment Woes

I have a (hopefully) fairly straightforward question. I recently replaced my rear tires and got alignment for the first time in years. Before I brought the car in, it was driving perfectly straight, but after 3 attempts, the shop couldn't get my car to drive straight (pulls slightly to the right when wheel is normal). If I have my alignment specs from 6 years ago with the same car setup (no new parts or damage to the car), would I be able to bring these specs to the alignment shop to set and would the car be fine afterwards?
Old 05-28-2014, 12:00 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

If the car is aligned to specs, has no bent parts, has exactly the same tire pressures left to right, and has exactly the same tire diameter left to right, it should drive straight, including when on or off the throttle.

Unfortunately, tire pressure is the only easy thing to check on that list. Two brand new tires of the same model CAN be slightly off in diameter (Dunlop had a batch of Star Specs like this), things can get bent easily in the suspension, and very few shops are accurate enough to align the S2000 properly.

Go to Auto Innovations for your alignment and that will clear that possibility off the list, at least. The fact that the car pulled after new tires and an alignment probably means it's either the tires or the alignment.

Edit: You can add "shifted subframe" to the list of "bent" parts, although it can be shifted back. Again, since your car was fine until the tires and alignment, it's probably one of those things.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by thomsbrain
If the car is aligned to specs, has no bent parts, has exactly the same tire pressures left to right, and has exactly the same tire diameter left to right, it should drive straight, including when on or off the throttle.

Unfortunately, tire pressure is the only easy thing to check on that list. Two brand new tires of the same model CAN be slightly off in diameter (Dunlop had a batch of Star Specs like this), things can get bent easily in the suspension, and very few shops are accurate enough to align the S2000 properly.

Go to Auto Innovations for your alignment and that will clear that possibility off the list, at least. The fact that the car pulled after new tires and an alignment probably means it's either the tires or the alignment.

Edit: You can add "shifted subframe" to the list of "bent" parts, although it can be shifted back. Again, since your car was fine until the tires and alignment, it's probably one of those things.
hmm, i had a feeling i was thinking of this too simply. my alignment specs from '08 are actually from one of the old alignment days at AI. so i suppose i'd probably be wasting my time (even though it'd be free) for me to take the auto innovations spec sheet to the alignment shop and expect a car that drives straight afterwards?
Old 05-28-2014, 03:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'd check tire pressure then go back and watch how they do the alignment. i know some shops, not naming who, will look at the meter and say 'eh thats about right' and half ass it. i took my car back like 3-4 times before they got it right.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Auto innovations.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:27 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

I agree that there are some shops who have techs who seem to think "good enough" is good enough. And they don't test the car out at high enough speeds to really determine if the steering is perfectly straight.

I have never had issues with steering alignment after having alignments done at Tech3.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:56 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Bring the car back. Most shops have a warranty time.

Does the car pull on or off accel or is the steering wheel off center
Old 05-28-2014, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by boyguan
Bring the car back. Most shops have a warranty time.

Does the car pull on or off accel or is the steering wheel off center
brought it back 2 times already (3 total alignments). they're at a loss for what to do...my thought is that they're used to regular non modified cars that aren't as precise when it comes to adjustment.

steering wheel is at 11 o clock to go straight...at freeway speeds, sweeping turns seem unstable (turns in, then seems the back wants to turn in more)
Old 05-28-2014, 08:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

believe me when i tell u that some large chain shops (sears, firestone, etc.) won't take s2000s. They are "hard to align" apparently. I met an s2000 owner not on s2ki at a Firestone and they didn't want to touch the car. Guy apparently purchased the lifetime alignment from firestone in a different city and the one in sunnyvale didn't want to take it. I've only used Auto Innovations. Never had any issues with them from purchasing tires or alignment.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by iDashX
believe me when i tell u that some large chain shops (sears, firestone, etc.) won't take s2000s. They are "hard to align" apparently. I met an s2000 owner not on s2ki at a Firestone and they didn't want to touch the car. Guy apparently purchased the lifetime alignment from firestone in a different city and the one in sunnyvale didn't want to take it. I've only used Auto Innovations. Never had any issues with them from purchasing tires or alignment.
Thanks all for the thoughts. Decided to go back to AI..just such a trek for me since I live in San Francisco and have a hard time believing that there are no other reputable shops between Milpitas and SF to go to.

Quick Reply: Alignment Woes