California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

which alarm to get and where to install it ?

Old 08-24-2004, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kitwetzler,Aug 23 2004, 10:47 PM
My M3 got keyed not once but TWICE when the alarm went off. getting keyed costs just as much as getting a busted window fixed or a stereo replaced.

And, when the M3 did get broken into, the alarm didn't stop the thieves... I did, with a 3.5 foot long samurai sword. (they took off running when I screamed and ran outside... probably the dumbest thing I've ever done.)
An alarm isn't 100% effective at deterring people, but there is some degree of protection.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by SECRET AP1,Aug 24 2004, 07:57 AM
I agree with Kit, and respectfully disagree with jarod.

You will find an alarm with prox handy until you actually get vandalized.

First off, if someone wants to take a buck or two while your top is down, it's not going to hurt your pocketbook much, and the proximity alarm won't really do much but aggrevate the theif and the people in the area.

Secondly, even if it wards off innocent bystanders, what does that really do for you? who cares if someone peers into your car? unless it has some type of force field, it's not going to stop a door ding. the alarm will go off if the other person's door is within range, but it's likely that the only reason it's that close is because the other person is careless enough to let their door swing. by the time the alarm reacts to the violation of "personal car space" and the person reacts to the alarm, ding has happened.

Thirdly, there will be a time when the prox annoys someone enough for them to vandalize your car. An inanimate, non-living object owning the air space around it can sort of piss some people off. it's like people expect their cars to have a huge bubble around it. if it keeps buzzing here and there, someone is going to do something to vent their annoyance.

Reason I'm saying this is because my top has been recently slashed. i find myself either having to disable the prox will im parked in my home garage or deal with it buzzing everytime someone gets in a car next to me or a cat runs by or something. I'm going to remove the prox and only leave the impact sensor. The prox is way too much trouble and it can piss off a lot of people innocently walking by your car.

I wouldn't recommend getting one.
Well, with the proximity alarm, no one's gonna steal a buck from me. As soon as they stand close enough to the car to look inside, within 1-3 seconds, the alarm gives off a warning chirp/buzz (mine sounds like an electric zap)..

The alarm won't protect against door dings when they JUST arrive since it won't trigger it until they get out of their car and by that time, the door has already swung out. This is why I use the park-the-hell-far-away method. When a car does end up parking close to me, I do see it being effective when they come back to their car and are opening the door for their car. My alarm will chirp if they stand there longer than 1-3 seconds (just about the time it takes to fiddle with the keys). They're never annoyed by it. More like surprised and then "whoa..." reaction. Then they're way more careful opening their doors.

Often times false alerts from the proximity sensor is due to over sensitive tuning. I have mine set to about 3 inches from the side of my doors and it'll also chirp if you put your hand pass where the top would be if I had the top down. Just get a dual stage proximity sensor. Basically if they get near it, it chirps and if they pass the 2nd zone, it goes full out.

Old 08-25-2004, 07:38 PM

I'm not sure why the Honda factory alarm does not have a hood release lock or a sensor on the hood itself. Did they forget they were building a convertable?! If I park top down, someone can reach over, release my hood, and disconnect my battery. Has anyone found a solution other than prox sensors to solve this shortcoming?
Old 08-27-2004, 12:59 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

hey fellas,

I read this post with a lot of interest since I NEVER put my top up no matter how cold it is outside...haha! I guess it's my midwest side but weather here is just too damn nice not to mention top up has a million blind spots. The S2k looks too nice top down anyways

ok, back on subject:

I have a 01 S2k and the previous owner installed a CompuStar alarm with all the gadgets including remote start. Granted I don't use the remote start much but it's kinda cool with the safety feature to ensure a neutral gear start.

The alarm has great range and it's installed pretty nice w/ a hood pin switch and proximity and shock sensors.

DivineDesign: You make a very interesting point about the hood release. Really can't disconnect it or we can't open it either. But with the windows up, you need some really long arms to reach down there...haha I guess Honda should have came up with a lockable hood release!

In my experience, I have to agree that the proximity sensor is nice to have but really depends on where you park. In high traffic areas it may attract more attention then you want. I know mine used to go off for no reason beeping all the time and my neighbors got upset after a while. Ended up disabling it and just relying on the door, trunk, hood and shock sensors. I mean if a guy wants to peek in my car - fine, better than having someone vandalize it because the alarm kept going off

rick
Old 08-31-2004, 01:42 AM

I would have thought with the big $'s people are dumping on engine mods, that would have been the first after market part with a significant demand. Guess everyone's going hardtop. Maybe the next S will be a full-blown coupe at that rate! It's not the people with the long arms I worry about, it's the people who will do some kind of Duke's of Hazzard move over the head loops. I just find it amazing that there would supposedly be something worth more in the trunk than under the hood.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:09 PM

Going to have to say I changed my mind after I got my alarm installed. I went to a shop that I had multiple recommendations for and that said they had experience doing S2Ks. Wrong, it's just a mess.

First, the doors don't always unlock, it's pretty random also which makes it worse. I can hit the disarm key all day but nothing. Locking the doors works fine. A few hours later and it will be working again.

Then there is the prox sensor which only goes off about 50% of the time if you run your hand over the top, but is triggered if you walk by the front fenders...

Turns out that they said the sensor wouldn't fit under the center console and mounted it in the glove compartment firing forward. This makes it basically worthless. Pretty pissed about the whole thing now and I don't have time to drop the car back off there. Hopefully they will make it right though.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:58 PM

Sorry to hear that, bro~

Hope they make it right for you. Keep us posted.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:09 PM

Wink

I've been thinking that maybe a fuel cutoff switch is going to be more effective at keeping people from stealing your car than an alarm. Granted, the fuel cutoff switch isn't going to deter vandalism and break-ins, so maybe it would be a good idea to do both. Additionally, those seat locks are super important. I would get them for mine if I didn't have the hard top on most of the time.

Good luck on finding something just right for you, jinuoppa! Keep us posted. I'm sure others would like to hear what you decide.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by D-04,Aug 31 2004, 01:09 PM
Going to have to say I changed my mind after I got my alarm installed. I went to a shop that I had multiple recommendations for and that said they had experience doing S2Ks. Wrong, it's just a mess.

First, the doors don't always unlock, it's pretty random also which makes it worse. I can hit the disarm key all day but nothing. Locking the doors works fine. A few hours later and it will be working again.

Then there is the prox sensor which only goes off about 50% of the time if you run your hand over the top, but is triggered if you walk by the front fenders...

Turns out that they said the sensor wouldn't fit under the center console and mounted it in the glove compartment firing forward. This makes it basically worthless. Pretty pissed about the whole thing now and I don't have time to drop the car back off there. Hopefully they will make it right though.
Looks like you got shafted by the installer. I have my proximity sensor under the center console.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:43 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jarod,Sep 1 2004, 04:23 PM
Looks like you got shafted by the installer. I have my proximity sensor under the center console.
Agree with Jarod there!

What kind of installer would not find that perfect spot in our center console just aft of the shifter!

Mine is mounted in that little cubby hole with metal strapping and it works like a charm. Perfect upper central location to sense the driver's compartment.

btw, not sure what you guys are talking about w/ the door locks. My Compustar transmitter works beautifully and chirps each time to confirm lock and unlock.

Even has a button for trunk release and remote start if I engage it.

A BONUS is that my installer left the OEM alarm intact so I can still use that as well if I want by putting my Compustar in Valet mode!

rick

Quick Reply: which alarm to get and where to install it ?