California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Aftermarket Wheels warranty issue?

Old 06-01-2001, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, took my car in to get Loa Gatos Honda to road test for the noise I've been getting.

The right front wheel, makes screeching noisees like when the brakes wear out, and when you drive over bumps in the road, there is a metallic rattling noise too. The tester confirmed the noise, and scheduled me for next Wed. to bring in the car.

But the service lady, told me that because of my Volk's, the warranty might not cover whatever is the problem with the car. I dunno, but I don't think different wheels have anything to do with the brakes screeching, but it might have something to do with the rattling noise. Also, the screeching happened right after I washed the car one day, After three months with the Volk's on. I thought it might be just rusting, but after three weeks, the noise is still there. The screeching came first, then about a week later the rattling.

Well, I'm going to take the right wheel, and brake apart to see if I can find out what the problem is before I bring it in. I'll keep ya'll in the loop if yer interested.

"Wheels voiding the warranty?!?!? *cough*Bullshit*cough* *cough*F'you lady*cough* Springs I can undestand, but wheels?!?!
Old 06-01-2001, 12:39 PM

I once had a similar sound from the brakes on a different type of car. It turned out to be a small rock that got caught between the rotor and the thin backing plate. It make quite a loud sound, like worn out brakes. I removed the rock, ....fixed !
Old 06-01-2001, 12:56 PM

I'll find out tonight, I guess. But all this suddenly appeared after I washed my car for some stupid reason, mebbe I should wash it less or something.
Old 06-01-2001, 04:17 PM

Let's say you put new rims on the car and they have a different offset then the OEM ones. The front bearing wears out due to the offset. That is how it could viod you warranty, at least for the front bearing.

Lance
Old 06-01-2001, 07:19 PM
Banned

"lanbrown- Let's say you put new rims on the car and they have a different offset then the OEM ones. The front bearing wears out due to the offset. That is how it could viod you warranty, at least for the front bearing."

Lance

Huyto,

Offset on your volks will not affect your bearings. I expect you had them aligned after the new front tire install? If you bent a rim, or hit something hard enough (i remember a post?) make sure you check torque on the GTP's heads for integrity, (if all torque is correct = no warp) 32lbs setting...I will check to make sure.
As for the screech, that is worrisome.

Easy way before removing calipers or pads as culprit is to check rotor for grooves. But I can't imagine anything GOOD from a sound thats on constantly. LMK if you want some help. And no driving until you fix it!

p.s.
Los Gatos? Hmmm...they used to be good, but
I think it's ridiculous they even suggested it. Put your spacers back in and tell em that was the cause....):

But if you are still having problems go to menlo honda and ask for adam. He won't play games, and will help you out.

marcus
Old 06-02-2001, 02:46 AM

If it was the wheels and offset that caused the problem, wouldn't a physical inspection, and examination of the wheel, brake, and bearings be warranted before a warranty issue is raised? Isn't that a lot better than, "Oh you got different wheels, that might void your warranty." I wasn't aware that buying aftermarket wheels would void your warranty these days... So what happens when you don't buy the specific S02's, does that void any warranty because it isn't the OEM equipment? Or what about a Honda oil filter, can that be an excuse?
Old 06-02-2001, 09:18 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by huyto
[B]If it was the wheels and offset that caused the problem, wouldn't a physical inspection, and examination of the wheel, brake, and bearings be warranted before a warranty issue is raised?
Old 06-02-2001, 10:13 AM

Just a suggestion for future dealer issues. I ran a shop for 7 years, and when it comes to dealers for some reason they will do anything to say it is not covered under warrenty. To avoid issues like this, it might be a pain to do but if you have a problem with brakes or bearings and have aftermarket wheels put back on the OEM wheel before taking it the dealership so they can't say that the wheels caused the damage. Another example is if you have a rattle under the car and have an exhaust system, put back on the OEM exhaust before you bring it in. Trust me it will save you a lot a aggrevation.

A couple more sugestion when you take you car to the dealer

1. Make sure your car is clean. If it is dirty the person working on your car will think that you don't car about your car and won't be as careful as he or she should be. If it is really clean then the person working on the car will figure you love your car and it is your baby and be more careful when working on it.

2. Write down the amount of mileage that is on the car. I know that when you check the car in they make a record of this, but you want the dealership to know that going above 6000 rpm is for the owner and close friends, not the person that is going to test drive your car. Letting them konw that you are aware of the exact mileage will help prevent unwanted test drives of your car. Do this Especially if you have the dealer do your oil changes. Should have have no added mileage because you don't need to test drive a car after an oil change.

3. When you give a car to a dealer most of time they are so busy that they really don't do a great inspection of the car. Make sure that they do and let them know that you know where the car has damage and where it does not.

4. Before leaving the dealer when your car is done you need to do a good check for damage because once you leave the dealership and see the damage later, it might be too late.
If you find any get it writing that the damage was not there when you dropped the car off and that the damage happend when they had the car.

Just a couple of things that I do whenever I take my cars in for work at the dealership. Hope this has been helpful.
Old 06-02-2001, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Huyto who did you talk to? They have never questioned any of my mods at all including SC.
Old 06-03-2001, 06:07 PM

I dunno, some lady that was handling the people bringing in their cars at the service department, didn't get her name. She was kinda middle agish, causasion lady.

Is there someone specific there I should ask for next time when I make for an apointment? I'm gonna take my wheel and brake apart tonight before I bring it in Wed.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Wheels warranty issue?