California - Bay Area S2000 Owners California Bay Area S2000 Owners Group

Aftermarket Support for S2Ki why so expensive?

Old 03-21-2012, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spent nearly $600 preparing for Test and Tune #4. Then I spent another $300 after the fact. A close friend of mine, who was supposed to attend T&T4 with me, had to bow out after Dinan dropped a $2500 repair on him because of a pitted brake piston on one of his calipers and various other things. It is all about perspective. The S2000 isn't cheap but it isn't absurdly expensive either.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:20 PM

I've had an 84' 300zx turbo and an Acura rsx; but compared to the s2k, I've had much more fun with this car. I think, well in my own personal opinion, you don't really need to do much if anything at all to have fun with this car. But mod parts, I honestly agree with everyone in saying, you pay a premium for parts that are quality made. All throughout seeing that s2k parts are very pricy at times, compared to modding the 300 and rsx, everything seems to be fine tuned already.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaPhatty
I spent nearly $600 preparing for Test and Tune #4. Then I spent another $300 after the fact. A close friend of mine, who was supposed to attend T&T4 with me, had to bow out after Dinan dropped a $2500 repair on him because of a pitted brake piston on one of his calipers and various other things. It is all about perspective. The S2000 isn't cheap but it isn't absurdly expensive either.
$600? What did you have to get done?
Old 03-23-2012, 07:37 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

errrr, what is your reference point?

As in any science experiment or hypothesis, you have to have a baseline. If you are using a Civic to compare then it might be more costly but even Scion's aren't cheap to mod in my wife's eye. She considers any car mods wasteful and my dad feels the same way. My point is each person has a different view on what is considered expensive.

A nice exhaust for the Audi R8 is roughly $6000-10k (expensive to me but I've spoken to some who has it and they feel it's a great deal)

I've dumped more money into my current s2000 that I care to even think about but I know it's enough for me to easily but a GTR but do I want a GTR, nope

P.S. ASM sells a titanium exhaust for $3600, an adjustable spoiler for $4k+...............and people still but them so all relative!

rick
Old 03-23-2012, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s4play
errrr, what is your reference point?

As in any science experiment or hypothesis, you have to have a baseline. If you are using a Civic to compare then it might be more costly but even Scion's aren't cheap to mod in my wife's eye. She considers any car mods wasteful and my dad feels the same way. My point is each person has a different view on what is considered expensive.

A nice exhaust for the Audi R8 is roughly $6000-10k (expensive to me but I've spoken to some who has it and they feel it's a great deal)

I've dumped more money into my current s2000 that I care to even think about but I know it's enough for me to easily but a GTR but do I want a GTR, nope

P.S. ASM sells a titanium exhaust for $3600, an adjustable spoiler for $4k+...............and people still but them so all relative!

rick
well your average medium is not going to go out and buy a $3600 exhaust nor a Audi R8. R8 is a exotic car, its not even in the same league. the owner spend good money for for a lavish car of course he wont have problem paying premium for a lavish exhaust for 10k or a lip kit for 5k, a S2000 is a mass produced car from Honda.. its directed toward your regular consumers that wanted a competitive edge against cars ranging 60k+. your exhaust is worth almost 10% of the car (assuming avg price for the s2k we paid for is msrp 35000).

but as everyone else has already pointed out, $ and value is all relative in everyone eyes.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:03 AM

Buy what you can afford... period.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kenv
Buy what you can afford... period.
Word. Wanna buy my Fuji?
Old 03-23-2012, 12:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't afford a K&N intake nor Comptech intake w/ that nice Carb No. sticker, so...I simply removed the top-cover of my OEM intake. Voila! I wish I could afford a Password:JDM CF intake...

Price of this baby: $1,099.99 Gawwwd damN!!!

http://passwordjdm.com/PasswordJDM-D...OLFDTdyTeVPDT5
Old 03-23-2012, 12:37 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

^Now that PWJDM intake is a waste of money IMO ~ you are roughly 1/4 of the way to a supercharger that gives real power, not some illusion of power with the noise it makes....

I think in the Honda world it goes like this

Civic > RSX/Integra > s2000 > NSX

(s2000 and NSX parts are both relatively inexpensive until you shop for top JDM stuff like Mugen, ASM, APR, etc)

Like my dad always told me ~ blow your money on stuff you like when you have EXCESS income, not when you are scraping by paying the minumum on credit cards to get by.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:44 PM

ever thought of the R&D they put in these parts? the countless hours they spend on track and such to justify such the steep prices?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Support for S2Ki why so expensive?